Problem installing combi bracelet on a Hundreds GW-M5610
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Problem installing combi bracelet on a Hundreds GW-M5610

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Problem installing combi bracelet on a Hundreds GW-M5610

Ok, here's the deal. I bought 2 watches on WUS here. First was a GW-M5600 that someone added the combi bracelet to. I received it and everything looked good.

Then I bought a Hundreds watch mainly for the negative display, but I do not like the bo color white/black resin band they come with. So my plan was remove the black/white resin band and store it when I decide to resell it and to keep it in new condition. I am installing the combi bracelet on the Hundreds. On the GW-M5600 I will find a new plain black resin strap for or a Zulu / Casio adapter for it (if a GW-M5600 can work with the factory Casio adapters as I heard the older GW5600-1J (which I also own) does not work with these adapters for whatever reason) .

So down to business I have both watches now and this afternoon I decide to remove the combi bracelet and it was frustratingly difficult but after 15 minutes I finally got it off. This was using a headlamp shining light right on the watch and a springbar tool. Seems to me the springbar that the WUS member I bought it off of used too wide of a springbar.

Now taking off the Hundreds resin straps were a piece of cake and they were off in a minute.

Now the hard part and I gave up in disgust was reinstalling the combi bracelet on the Hunbdreds watch. I finally got one side of the combi bracelet on after 15 minutes of struggling to keep the springbar stable enough to persuade one side in while keeping the band from coming out of the notched ends of the watch. I got the other side in after about another 15 minutes of wrestling with the thing. Once I put the pin in the bracelet itself to join the 2 halves, I realiZe the clasp is upside down... *&#$TU$#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried it on and it works that way, but then as I was taking it off I saw one side of the springbar giving way. As I took off the watch one side came off and by the time I got my springbar tool the 1 side of the bracelet was off again.

Basically I'd like to know if there is a tutorial for doing this right of if there is a way to do it without damaging the watch. I scuffed up the Hundreds watch a little with the springbar tool and this is the watch I was trying to keep pristine for resale at some point. I'm still not sure if the bent larger springbars I swapped over to the Hundreds will even work without further scraping. I did try the smaller springbars and I think that was why the one came off initially or maybe I didn't have it fully seated in the small hole locking it in place.

Just want some pointers here as I'd like to wear the HUndreds with combi bracelet and now it is scuffed up and I have never even worn it yet. I'm a little pissed at this as this should not be this difficult.
    felixseo likes this.

Are you starting off with one side of the spring bar already in the hole and just pushing the other side in?

Re: Problem installing combi bracelet on a Hundreds GW-M5610

yes and no. I try to get one side near the hole, and then try to manipulate the center wing tab of the band in the center slot first before using the springbar tool to compress the other side and hope to then slide it in.

If I try to do as you posted, the center wing will not fit in the center since the springbar is angled with one end in the hole and one out of it. I wish there was a simpler way of doing this.

I did finally get it in after I removed the bezel which did help somewhat. Then the springbar once again came undone after I was moving stuff. I tried to reattsach it again for 10 minutes and it now seems secure, but who knows for how long. I'll wear it for a day or so before putting the bezel back on. Kind of looks cool without a bezel.

Is it unwise or unsafe to wear without a bezel? Will dirt or grime get inside any easier with the bezel removed? How about water resistance? Does the bezel offer any protection or is it mainly for comfort and a streamlined look?

Quote Originally Posted by Fer Guzman View Post
    Are you starting off with one side of the spring bar already in the hole and just pushing the other side in?
    Last edited by tic-toc/g-shock; July 1st, 2012 at 04:53.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I always have one end way out and I put it in the hole which does cause it to angle, but as soon as I push the end that is out I can just center the hole thing. I do have to play with the end that is out. this is the video i saw when i didnt know how and the same applies to strap and bracelet

G-Shock: How To Change The Straps On A G-Shock Casio - YouTube

this one illustrates what im talking about at 6:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwDjxpIJnTE
    Last edited by Fer Guzman; July 1st, 2012 at 05:09.

Hi I actually watched those 2 very videos before I posted this thread. They are both 5600s and with resin straps the removal and installation is easy. I have done my GW5600 a few times already and never had a problem. I think it only takes under 5 minutes from removal to reinstallation on the resin ones. I think the problem I am having is due to the combi bracelet in particular. I'm surprised there are no combi specific threads on difficulty in installation as it is a hell of a lot more difficult than the resin straps. I just find it odd with as many people that have added these straps, that they have done it with ease and there are no threads I have found besides my own in having a problem installing it.

Funny thing is the second video the guy even though he does get it on eventually, he is struggling sort of like I was only the combi seems even more difficult than those resin casio adapters. I had to laugh after he gets it all installed after 30 minutes and then he tries it on and seems unimpressed like, "Damn, I just spent 30 minutes trying to get this on, and I liked it better before with the standard resin strap!"

Haha yeah the last part was funny...im getting a new watch soon and I'll put a bracelet on it and record it to see how easy or hard it is for me.

Better yet, film it as you are installing it and upload it to youtube. You'd be my hero for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Fer Guzman View Post
    Haha yeah the last part was funny...im getting a new watch soon and I'll put a bracelet on it and record it to see how easy or hard it is for me.

i had troubles too, sometimes, it takes a little luck

but i borrow the second video to share my technique

So are the springbars for the combi bracelet supposed to be longer as well as thicker? If the standard resin springbars are 16mm then the combi bracelet spingbars (that were previously installed on the GW-M5600 from the person I bought it from) would have to be at least an extra mm or possibly 2 making it 18mm. Might also explain why they were bent quite a bit on both. Could this be why I am having this hard of a time?
    Last edited by tic-toc/g-shock; July 1st, 2012 at 06:38.

Quote Originally Posted by tic-toc/g-shock View Post
    So are the springbars for the combi bracelet supposed to be longer as well as thicker? If the standard resin springbars are 16mm then the combi bracelet spingbars (that were previously installed on the GW-M5600 from the person I bought it from) would have to be at least an extra mm or possibly 2 making it 18mm. Might also explain why they were bent quite a bit on both. Could this be why I am having this hard of a time?
    I have installed the combi bracelet on several watches, GWM-5600, GW-6900 and GW-5000 and never had any problem. I always used the springbars that were already on the watch with the resin band.

I see no reason why the springbars for the combi bracelet should be any longer or thicker - this would only make installation harder. If anything, the springbars for the combi bracelet should be the same length, but slightly thinner.

HTH

ETA: Gratuitous pic of the combi bracelet on a GWM-5600:

Last edited by gaijin; July 1st, 2012 at 07:15.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information