Project DW6900: Restoration of Band and Bezel (any suggestions?)
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Project DW6900: Restoration of Band and Bezel (any suggestions?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Project DW6900: Restoration of Band and Bezel (any suggestions?)

hello F17 mates! just bought this pretty worn out 6900NB yesterday for a few bucks.... as soon as i saw this watch, i knew this would be another "project restore" similar to what i did on some of my watches...

i tried searching for a similar thread here in F17 but could not find any or maybe i just don't know how to search? well anyway, moderators please merge or close if necessary.

so to start with, here are a few pics of the watch:

Name:  IMG_20150511_085932.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  117.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20150511_090017.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20150511_090052.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20150511_090122.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  109.1 KB

Questions:

1.) given the above state of the watch, as you can see some cracks with the band, do you think it is still worth restoring?

2.) i prefer to restore the band, but how do i make sure the cracks won't grow after some using? is it possible to apply some super glue perhaps?

3.) i want to save the bezel and restore it, how do i restore it? sandpaper then apply a spray paint after?

4.) my preferred new color and finish are similar to the below pics, any suggestions to more or less achieve it?

TIA! more power F17!

Re: Project DW6900: Restoration of Band and Bezel (any suggestions?)

Hi Kikou

I think I would just shop new resin band & bezel myself.
    Given the cracking strap the resin must be quite dry/brittle. If so
    the bezel is probably about the same condition.

Module looks good though
    Kev55 and Kikou is G-Shock like this.

Looks like it's spent 40 days in the desert - never seen a worse example.

Anyhow, you're probably looking for positive comments, so i'll say no more, except, GOOD LUCK and may the force be with you.
    flying, Kikou is G-Shock and Rocat like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

can't do nothing with the band at all, due to its bendability - you can't spray paint - because the paint's gonna break out when you wear it

the bezel is rescue-able by spray paint, but is it worth the time and energy to sand it down, spend money on a can of paint ? without a matching strap ?

module looks awesome though, i'd just hydromod it and since it's already negative and black, I can put on any colorful resin that I want, there are plenty out there for the dw6900
    flying, Kev55 and Kikou is G-Shock like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    can't do nothing with the band at all, due to its bendability - you can't spray paint - because the paint's gonna break out when you wear it

the bezel is rescue-able by spray paint, but is it worth the time and energy to sand it down, spend money on a can of paint ? without a matching strap ?

module looks awesome though, i'd just hydromod it and since it's already negative and black, I can put on any colorful resin that I want, there are plenty out there for the dw6900
    do you know any specific brand of spray paint for g-shock materials like this?

i took the watch apart to clean it up and was amazed by the beauty of its module.. if i'm not mistaken it's made of ceramic material?

here it is... it's nakedly beautiful!

Name:  6900NB naked.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  132.0 KB

last year our member, Mike K, bought a can of spray paint for car bumper to paint his bezel, and made a thread about it - I copied him in case he is no longer here after 2, 3 years of testing that painted bezel - i sprayed it in my gd-100 and 5500 bezels, the 5500 is in service and so far so good as it doesn't have to bend -

i am now to lazy to go dig that can, but am sure Mike will come in today and help you out !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kikou is G-Shock View Post
    do you know any specific brand of spray paint for g-shock materials like this?

i took the watch apart to clean it up and was amazed by the beauty of its module.. if i'm not mistaken it's made of ceramic material?
    "Ceramic?" No, it's simply matte-finish (or simply unpolished) plastic resin. Everybody here who has ever stripped a case-back screw hole or damaged a springbar hole will agree.

The problem with spray paint is that when it dries, it gets rigid and brittle, while the resin underneath remains flexible. Bend the strap, the paint won't bend and will eventually crack and (usually) fall off. The paint may seem flexible for a few days as the paint "cures" but that won't usually last.

When painted bumpers replaced chrome plated bumpers in the automotive world, the car companies developed "plasticizers" to add to the paint so it would remain flexible. What good is a "5 mile per hour bumper" if it absorbs a bump and half the paint falls off? Years ago, a NAPA Auto Parts paint shop (where they mix their own paints) told me that they could add plasticizer to any paint they mixed and/or put in a spray can for a minimal fee, but I haven't checked into that lately.

A while back I DID experiment with "automotive bumper coating" on a couple of badly-dyed bezels: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/bez...y-1069969.html I need to get some newer photos and update that thread -- it worked fairly well on my watch, but the "paint" started to wear off the edges of my friend's bezel. (He IS hard on his watches.)

Unfortunately for this project, that coating only comes in black and three shades of gray.

I also think that your best bet is to buy a new strap and bezel and go from there.

Edit: ha! I JUST saw G-fob's post after I replied! (Curse this new goofy forum software that doesn't always show the newest posts until AFTER you log in! )
    Last edited by Mike K; May 11th, 2015 at 19:26.
    Kikou is G-Shock likes this.

Another vote for a new bezel and strap. Simply put, the time value of money spent to try to restore the resin, costs more than a new set of clothes for the watch.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

So Rust-o-leum and Duplicolor FOR plastics? I will give them a try. Will find time looking for them in a hardware or paint store!

Thanks mates for all your helpful inputs. Appreciate it. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Kikou is G-Shock View Post
    So Rust-o-leum and Duplicolor FOR plastics? I will give them a try. Will find time looking for them in a hardware or paint store!

It might be worth a try -- neither of Rust-o-leum's "Paint for Plastics" webpages mention anything about "flexibility" but mostly talk about how it's a "one step, no primer needed, direct to plastic" application process with "superior adhesion."

On the other hand, if that stuff can successfully stick to plastic lawn chairs, which are also flexible, it might stick to G-Shock resin as well!
    Kikou is G-Shock likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information