Protecting yourself during trades

Thread: Protecting yourself during trades

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Protecting yourself during trades

Hi all,

Been a little while since I posted. Anyhow, I have a Frogman Whale & Dolphin that i'm selling/trading and hope to get another Froggie ofcourse!

I am just wondering how traders protect themselves once they agree upon engaging in a trade? For example, how can we be sure that the other party has sent the watch? Is there perhaps a Paypal feature in which both parties can agree to put a deposit (say the value of the watches we are trading) and Paypal can hold the amount in escroy until both parties inform Paypal that the watches have been received in which case the deposits are then refunded to the traders? And if one of the traders is a scammer, he/she will not get their money back?

Just a thought!

Cheers
    Last edited by dh0licious; April 3rd, 2009 at 02:08. Reason: no selling allowed

Re: Protecting yourself during trades

Interesting idea, Dh. Maybe you should write Paypal and ask them? I don't see how they'd make any money if the trade goes well, but maybe.

I've never traded a G but I've traded a few Spydercos (on knifebst). Mostly I rely on the person's participation level on the forum. It's no guarantee, of course, but I think, if someone is long term committed to the forum, they don't want to sacrifice that for a quick score. So far, so good.

Anyway, good luck!

Ken
    Tempus neminem manet

if the poster is a regular on the G-Shock forum, i tend to trust them.

there is a feedback forum if you want to research the trader a little.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are online escrow services. I haven't used any of them, so can't recommend one, but try Googling it.

I would imagine they make money by charging a fee when you deposit money or withdraw it, same way Paypal does.

But as Lee says, I'd probably trust a regular on here. Besides, a trade is no more risky than buying a watch off another individual-either way, a crook could take what you send them (money or cash) and not give you anything in return.
    'I never done it'

WJR

Gentlemen,

In this day and age, unfortunately, I would be wary of trusting someone unless they have some references. I just recently was burned by forum member, THEPATRIOT, who appeared to be a regular poster on the forum, albeit only since January 2009.

I sent a money order to him and have never received the watch I purchased nor have received any responses from PMs or e-mail.

See : https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1806041

I have not been burned on a watch forum before and previously felt like some of you.

Thanks,

WJR

Quote Originally Posted by lee172 View Post
    if the poster is a regular on the g-shock forum, i tend to trust them..
    +1

You have to go with reputation of seller on the forum.

I think if pay via paypal there is a process for getting your money back if the item doesn't get sent to you.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

I'd do it if they're a regular. Paypal is a definite plus, won't do anything without it anymore!

For a small amount, e.g. under $100, I don't mind trading just based on blind trust. For something more significant, it'll depend on time on forum and participation, i.e. reputation. If the watch is $1000 or more, I'll used something with protection, like an escrow service or ebay/paypal transaction funded by a credit card. If it's more than a few grand, it's probably worthwhile to make the trip to do the exchange in person.
    Buying more watches does not buy you more time.

Looking for: Seiko SCVS013; Citizen PMX56-2811; Citizen Campanola CTS57-0701.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information