Protrek Help

Thread: Protrek Help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Protrek Help

Which digital protrek model has the biggest hours/minutes/seconds display?

Positive display please.

Preferably a protrek that has recently been released.

Thanks for your reply.

Re: Protrek Help

Is there a web page which shows when a protrek model was released? Similar to casio's?

Hi,

This website has all the models: http://pathfinder.casio.com/watches/

From memory the PRG-50 has the largest display for all the digits. Not the most feature rich (no stop watch or CDT) but you can read the display from a mile away http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...der/PAG50T-7V/

Cheers,

Pieter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The PRG-80 has the biggest digits and with the same module and atomic reception is the PAW-1100 and PAW-1200, from the latest models the biggest digits can be found on the PRG/PAW -2000. I will post a comparison photo when I get home !
    Not Enough Time !

Mike!

Largest ever produced was the SPL-70 SeaPathfinder, currently in production the PRG-4 PRG-80, PRW-2000 are the largest, 40 does not have solar power and has full size seconds, PRG-80 is a full size field watch, PRW-2000 is one of the latest models and is well suited to casual wear.

You might find this quick summary of use, Casio ABC`s come with numerous naming conventions; PRW, PAW, PRG, PAG, however the model number is the same, major difference is some have "Atomic" clock reception some do not

40 first of the big screen Protrek`s runs on a massive power source of four replaceable batteries, feature set is now dated, however still a firm favorite with many including some military units. Still one of the best digital displays on the market thanks to its extremely high contrast ratio and large clear primary & secondary digits. Only non solar triple sensor in production.

80/1100 a true field watch designed for Alpinists, mountaineers, trekkers, big and brutal virtually in "G-Shock" territory for durability/survivability. Released in 2005 and getting a little old in the tooth, one of the most proven Protrek`s

110/1300 has one of Casio`s most versatile modules in a slimline form factor, offering full ABC functionality, good logging well balanced features for timing events etc. Oldest of the three and therefore most tried and tested and can now be found for very reasonable prices, although the selection of versions is reducing.

130/1500 is best suited for life by the sea with its moon & tide data, 200m water resistance and limited logging. Has one of the biggest selections of versions with seven different styles to choose from.

200/2000 is very similar to the 1300 reintroducing the duplex display in the slimline form factor and adding the sunrise feature, the watch is more focused for casual wear than the 1300 with its smaller steel pushers and flush crystal. The 2000 has a new sensor and is more thermally stable than the majority of its predecessors. Still relatively new with only a few versions released so far.

New 5000 analogue digital ABC display breaks away from the norm. Casio`s most expensive ABC`s outside of the "premier" PRX line, the 5000 raises the stakes in fit & finish and the addition of the hybrid "Tough MVT" ABC movement all add to cost. The watch fly`s under the radar as an ABC, with most taking it for a typical sports watch. More in competition with Suunto`s "Elementum" than the more expensive PRX`s. all this and it still retains full ABC functionality with no loss of accuracy, not one for serious field work, a very different take on an ABC.

You will find most of my posts are ABC related so just search and you will find a wealth of info and most import the opinions of many. First step to an ABC is matching the watches feature set to your intended activities.

Q-6

Thanks for the replies!

Are there other non-solar Protreks models apart from the prg-40/t and spf-40/t?

The prg-40/spf-40 battery life is really short when you compare it to Casio G-Shock's GLX-5600 and g-9100.

I'm not into solar watches.

Are there other watch brands that have really big displays for the hours/minutes/seconds with non-solar?

Maybe with at least 5 years battery life?

Man, the PRG-200 is really cool! But I'm worried about the solar thingy because I wear my watch on the other side of the wrist and sometimes wear long sleeves. I'm worried it might not get enough sunlight. I prefer non-solar.
    Last edited by kaiba; June 17th, 2010 at 16:46.

Are you set on an ABC? If so you might look into Suunto. My X6m has large digits. I doubt the battery will last 5 years but it is user replaceable. Also, in my experience it doesn't take much to keep a solar watch charged. I just put mine in front of a window every so often for a couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiba View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Are there other non-solar Protreks models apart from the prg-40/t and spf-40/t?

The prg-40/spf-40 battery life is really short when you compare it to Casio G-Shock's GLX-5600 and g-9100.

I'm not into solar watches.

Are there other watch brands that have really big displays for the hours/minutes/seconds with non-solar?

Maybe with at least 5 years battery life?

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by kaiba View Post
    Man, the PRG-200 is really cool! But I'm worried about the solar thingy because I wear my watch on the other side of the wrist and sometimes wear long sleeves. I'm worried it might not get enough sunlight. I prefer non-solar.
    Cant give exact response regarding solar; But I live at 55,6 deg. north., and we have a quite long and dark winter, like 5-6 months. During this time, I'm mostly wearing long sleeves and I dont have problems with my solar Riseman. I think my average use of alarms, light etc., is quite close to Casios specs. Some days I use it more, others less. During the summer, I'm mainly wearing t-shirts, but we have a lot of cloudy days during the summer.

In one Casio manual, I noticed that using the light for about one sec., required 5 minutes sun charge, or 50 minutes artificial light - and that's not much to regain.

I dont have a Suunto, but I've only heard good about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matters View Post
    Are you set on an ABC? If so you might look into Suunto. My X6m has large digits. I doubt the battery will last 5 years but it is user replaceable. Also, in my experience it doesn't take much to keep a solar watch charged. I just put mine in front of a window every so often for a couple hours.
    What do you mean by ABC? What's the stated battery life of the X6M?

It's kinda a hassle with solar watches, such as, putting it out, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information