Protrek/Pathfinder newbie

Thread: Protrek/Pathfinder newbie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Protrek/Pathfinder newbie

Hi guys,

I'm about to get my first proper Casio but am stuck a bit at the moment and would be looking for some advice ...
    I've pretty much established that I will be going for the Protrek/Pathfinder PAW1300, but there still is the question of which strap to choose.
    I have found many pictures, reports and threads on the watch but nothing with regards to details (length etc.) on the straps.

I do like the titanium bracelet, my only question is which wrist sizes will it fit without having to fiddle around with it. My wrist is about 7 inch / 18 cm - does anyone know if that will work ?
    I also like the copper coloured PAW1300B-4 - as per most descriptions the strap is resin but on some pics I've seen seemed to be something like fake leather with decorative stitching (I would have some durability concerns there) so anyone has an idea what its really like ?

As I'm living in Ireland I will have to do the purchase somewhere online because local retailers have little to nothing available here - some random g-shocks but when you ask for specific watch all you get is a friendly but blank face ...
    I will be in London next month and will surely give the shop on Carnaby Street a visit - but prices are so much more attractive in the web that I can't really see myself leaving any money there.
    I don't mind buying stuff from far away - does anyone know reliable sources for the 1300 in the US or Asia ?
    Amazon is shipping some of the watches worldwide, I also found casiosalesandservice, Kenmar, 4 watches and Princetonwatches - any other shops (maybe on ebay) with good reputation around ?

After all many questions from the new guy, hope you don't mind :thanks

Thanks a lot
    littlenick

Re: Protrek/Pathfinder newbie

Hi, and welcome. I don't have a 1300, I have a prg-40 and prg-80. My prg-80 has a 'fake leather' strap, and it seems very tough to me. Spare straps are also available for Protreks. buysaleitems is another ebay seller worth a look.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Welcome! I'm just over the border from you in da' Nort'

If you havent found them already tiktox.com are very good. I have just received a PRW-1300-1 from them this morning after ordering at 3pm yesterday.
    £137stg and couldnt ask for better service.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JokerNJ View Post
    £137stg and couldnt ask for better service.
    unfortunately ROI is considered "international" from the UK so I will have to add another 20 pounds delivery charges when ordering with tiktox - and 17.5%VAT if I'm not mistaken.
    So altogether its roughly 40 pounds more expensive than having it express shipped from the US. Thats too much difference to be ignored I would say

Quote Originally Posted by littlenick View Post
    unfortunately ROI is considered "international" from the UK so I will have to add another 20 pounds delivery charges when ordering with tiktox - and 17.5%VAT if I'm not mistaken.
    So altogether its roughly 40 pounds more expensive than having it express shipped from the US. Thats too much difference to be ignored I would say
    I believe the VAT is included on the item, but will be added on the £20 shipping fee. It will be cheaper from abroad, but remember there might be a customs charge if it's from outside the EU.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Lexxorcist View Post
    I believe the VAT is included on the item, but will be added on the £20 shipping fee. It will be cheaper from abroad, but remember there might be a customs charge if it's from outside the EU.
    true - and I will take that into account once I'm ready to buy.
    But as irish customs seems to apply a more casual approach to these matters it might be worthwhile to take a chance there - I had a good share of "free" deliveries in the past

In the end it will all come down to which version I'm going to take - depending on where you look there are considerable differences to be found.
    And I won't take high risks just to save the equivalent value of a large cappuccino ...

More importantly - I still don't know if its going to be titanium or resin or something completely else

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

@ littlenick,

the easiest way of course is to get a PRW-1300 with regular resin strap, no need of resizing (but probably boiling) and thats it. with your wristsize you will be forced to resize the titanium bracelect, because casio bracelets are made for giants

I usually have to take 4 or 5 links out of a bracelet before it fits, but it is well worth the afford, in my opinion casio bracelets are among the most comfortable bands one can wear.

however, if you plan to give the watch some serious outdoor use I would always recommend anything but metal bands. resin, nylon/velcro fake leather - they are all more sufficient for outdoor purposes IMO.

on a personal note: if you are looking for a flat, all-in-one sleek looking watch, the PRW-1300 series is perfect. if you plan to use the AB (C is okay) functions a lot, then you might want to consider a PRG80, because it is the consensus of this forum that those sensors work much more accurate. however, the PRG80 series is not atomic (radio controlled) but other than that preferable in every aspect, just my 2 cents.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

thanks Holger, that was "the missing link" for me.
    As much as I like the looks of the titanium I have no talent/skills/patience for a job like modifying a bracelet. No suitable tools either and a trustworthy watchmaker still has to be found ...

When looking at all the different option with the Protreks I decided that the main features have to be solar powered, radio controlled, the world timer and reasonably waterproof. Having a weather station on the wrist is nice to have but more of an entertainment value for me.
    The not-so-chunky-look played its part as well - there is a thin line between getting away with a bold watch and looking plain stupid

Quote Originally Posted by littlenick View Post
    there is a thin line between getting away with a bold watch and looking plain stupid
    There is indeed...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

can you get metal bands for a PRG80?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information