ProTrek PRG-40 vs Gulfman GW-9100 vs DW-5600e vs ProTrek PRG-80 comparo: Size matters?

Thread: ProTrek PRG-40 vs Gulfman GW-9100 vs DW-5600e vs ProTrek PRG-80 comparo: Size matters?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ProTrek PRG-40 vs Gulfman GW-9100 vs DW-5600e vs ProTrek PRG-80 comparo: Size matters?

I find the side-by-size comparison photos some of you have posted to be very helpful in helping my visualize the bezel size and mass difference between various models, especially if one of the pics has one of the watches I own.

Here is a Q & D photo of two ProTreks (Pathfinders) and two Gs, for your reference and entertainment.

Notice how the displays have slight differences in contrast: the PRG-40 (L-R #1) and the Gulfman (#2) both have marginally higher contrast displays, making them more legible to my eyes. The DW-5600 (#3) and PRG-80 (#4) seem to my colour-blind eyes slightly more beige or brown in their display's background.

Cheers from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: ProTrek PRG-40 vs Gulfman GW-9100 vs DW-5600e vs ProTrek PRG-80 comparo: Size matters?

Good pic. I thought the PRG40 was bigger than the PRG80

Re: ProTrek PRG-40 vs Gulfman GW-9100 vs DW-5600e vs ProTrek PRG-80 comparo: Size matters?

Well, on much closer scrutiny, the PAG40 IS marginally bigger than the PAG80. Check the specs below. Where the PAG40 is 'bigger' is the width (in the 9-3 dimension where the Sensor and Baro protrusions are located.) And the PAG40 is 'thicker'. So, yes, you're right. The PAG40 is marginally 'bigger' but even placing them side-by-side, it's almost impossible to discern without measuring them.

Weird, tho, I just checked the Casio USA website for specs.

Surprising:

PAG40: 57 x 53.8 x 17.9 mm, 74 grams

PAG80: 62.3 x 52.2 x 14.2 mm, 78 grams

Cheers.

Tim

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cool Re: ProTrek PRG-40 vs Gulfman GW-9100 vs DW-5600e vs ProTrek PRG-80 comparo: Size matters?

No the PRG-80/PAG-80 is the biggest Pathfinder ever made I think!

The PAG-40 is only about the same width and slightly thicker but it has a smaller crystal and smaller digits in the display, and it is also shorter from wristband to wristband. When seeing them next to eachother or on wrist the PRG-80 looks slightly bigger!

So the PAG-80 is the biggest one!

Perhaps you can make some close comparissons shots between them?

One side by side shot and one when the PAG-40 is on top of the backplate of the PAG-80 and shot it from the side this way we can compare the thickness of them both aswell as the lugg size.

My impression from seeing them live in store and also trying them on is that the PAG-80 is the slightly bigger one!

the gulfan doesnt look that big compared to the 5600.

Quote Originally Posted by pindu View Post

the gulfan doesnt look that big compared to the 5600.
    What?

I think it looks significantly bigger!

it is about 4-5mm wider, 2.5mm thicker and also about 3mm from wristband to wristband. Thats a big difference in the watch world!

I'll try to post some more pix tonight.

I don't have calipers for accurate measurement, but here's what I've discovered.

Casio's specs are for L(ength) x W(idth) x D(epth).

The Length of the watch includes the strap 'keepers' (I don't know anther word for them, but on the PRG80, that's the part of the watch that attaches the case to the straps. On the PRG80 these 'keepers' are rigid; on the PRG40, they are 'hinged' and can rotate slightly on the screws/pins that hold the strap to the watch.

In THIS dimension (measuring along the 12-6 Length), the PRG80 is longer than the PRG40, but that is the measurement of the distance between the keepers, it's NOT the diameter of the case.

On the Width (measuring the 9-3 dimension of the actual case), the PRG40 is 1.6mm 'bigger'.

I think the reason some people may be 'seeing' the PRG80 to be bigger than the PRG40 may be the result of my careless photography. I may have angled the camera lens slightly closer to the PRG80 (on the right), and the lens's natural distortion in wide-angle mode may be stretching the image of the PRG80 making it look wider than it is.

As promised, here are a couple of PRG-40 vs PRG-80 side-by-side shots. The photos aren't great, but you'll get the idea of the timepieces' relative sizes.

PRG-40 on the left, PRG-80 on the right.

Sorry I didn't do the back-to-back photo so you could compare thickness; you have to unscrew the straps to do that and I ran out of time.

I have to say, with both watches in my hand, the PRG-40 seems like the 'larger' watch to me, but only if I'm really trying HARD to see a difference. For all intents and purposes, they're the same size from my perspective.

I am now pretty sure that in the original 4 watch photo I posted the PRG-80 looks larger because it was probably slightly closer to the camera and lens distortion made it look bigger.

Enjoy.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-88 View Post
    As promised, here are a couple of PRG-40 vs PRG-80 side-by-side shots. The photos aren't great, but you'll get the idea of the timepieces' relative sizes.

PRG-40 on the left, PRG-80 on the right.

Sorry I didn't do the back-to-back photo so you could compare thickness; you have to unscrew the straps to do that and I ran out of time.

I have to say, with both watches in my hand, the PRG-40 seems like the 'larger' watch to me, but only if I'm really trying HARD to see a difference. For all intents and purposes, they're the same size from my perspective.

I am now pretty sure that in the original 4 watch photo I posted the PRG-80 looks larger because it was probably slightly closer to the camera and lens distortion made it look bigger.

Enjoy.

Tim
    Yes indeed they are the same size except the PRG-40 is about 1.5-2mm thicker. The PRG-40 seems 1.5mm wider but also 1-5mm less tall from 12-6 so overall they are the same size. However the PRG-80 still has a slightly bigger crystal and digits. Bigger crystals and digits will always add to the size impression people gets when seeing it from a distance so the PRG-80 will probably look slightly bigger from a distance while the PRG-40 due to its thickness will look a tad bigger up close.

Another Pathfinder that is very big are the Sea Pathfinders like SPF-70 and SPF-40 The SPF-70 is a really nice looking silver watch that are the same size as these 2!

http://www.superchrono.com/index.php...roducts_id=198

Joakim: I agree with your observations. Interesting, I never noticed the PRG-80's crystal is larger (~35 mm) compared to the PRG-40's ~32.5 mm crystal.

And the PRG-80's digits are definitely bigger than the PRG-40's.

Cheers.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information