Protrek PRT-40 Help
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Protrek PRT-40 Help

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Question Protrek PRT-40 Help

Guy`s I am looking for a Protrek PRT-40, and need some information on the following models;

PRT-40BVJ-3
    PRT-40BVJ-8

PRT-40C-1V - Resin Band, Black

PRT-40FJ-4A
    PRT-40FJ-4B

PRT-40FSJ-3A
    PRT-40FSJ-3B
    PRT-40FSJ-5
    PRT-40FSJ-8

PRT-40SJ-2
    PRT-40SJ-7A
    PRT-40SJ-7B
    PRT-40SJ-8

The info I am looking for is colour`s, strap type - resin canvas, leather, clasp buckle or tri fold clasp, year if possible. Anything is good; web links, descriptions, scans, pictures. I appreciate we are dealing with a long out of production piece, so details will be thin on the ground.

I already have this as a point of reference, unfortunately there are still a lot of gaps: Protrek PRT-40

I know it a pretty extensive list so thanks in advance. Once I track one of the dinosaurs down , it will be interesting to see how it compares to
    Casio`s latest field line

Q-6
    Last edited by Queen6; May 22nd, 2009 at 03:07.

Re: Protrek PRT-40 Help

A quick look reveals... nothing. But you probably knew that already.

Good luck with the search.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Picture Re: Protrek PRT-40 Help

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    A quick look reveals... nothing. But you probably knew that already.

Good luck with the search.
    Tribe,
    Actually, you have already helped me quite a lot

Thanks to your resource file, I am slowly beginning to figure out this conundrum. The "G-Shock" model numbers diagram acted rather as a primer to unraveling Casio`s cryptic Protrek nomenclature

There are numerous other variants of the PRT-40, these are just some from the Japanese home market

A PRT-40SJ-2T or PRT-40SJ-8T are looking favorite Although I am still searching for the elusive PRT-40FJ-4A/B

I am also tracking down a Protrek ATC-1100, now this one is from "the land that time forgot"...

Yep, you are correct not much out there on these models at all, they pre-date the mass use of the internet and are in a niche market to say least. Actually it makes the hunt all the more enjoyable, and the satisfaction of finally finding the piece, and eventually wearing it, you tend to appreciate the watch far more.

Q-6
    Last edited by Queen6; April 2nd, 2009 at 01:04.
    konafan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Blimey, that's quite a spread of PRT-40s!

If you ever untangle the differences, you could write a great article.

That chart, by the way, could do with updating, but I don't think anyone fancies the task any more than I do (not that I compiled it originally).
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Blimey, that's quite a spread of PRT-40s!

If you ever untangle the differences, you could write a great article.

That chart, by the way, could do with updating, but I don't think anyone fancies the task any more than I do (not that I compiled it originally).
    I understand the nomenclature much better now, trying to explain it, is a completely different box of frogs

If I am successful I will do a comparison review of one of the newest Protrek`s compared to one of these ancient beasts, should prove interesting if nothing else

Q-6

Q6, why do you want one of those. It's not the best looking watch tbh.

The others you have are way better looking and better in terms of functionality.

Catch22.
    PRX-2000T-7JF
    DW-8400Z-1T
    DW-8400BK-1MJF
    DW-8400LG-8JR
    DW-8400NK-3T
    DW-8400Y-9T
    DW-8400G-1
    DW-8400-1V
    DW-8400BM-1T

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post

The others you have are way better looking and better in terms of functionality.
    See the last paragraph of his first post.

Picture Re: Protrek PRT-40 Help

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post

Catch22.
    Yes the PRT-40`s do lack the more sophisticated functionality of the newer Protrek`s, however they were well ahead of their time "back in the day"; lacking CDT, World-time, Solar, moon & tidal data and "Atomic" reception, in comparison to the latest offerings.

The aesthetics of a watch or anything for that matter is always very subjective, for me the PRT-40 is from a time when Casio was leading & innovating in the ABC field, the PRT is still a surprisingly accurate device, given the watch is now in the region 11 years old, even then is was preceded by other triple sensors; ATC-1000, ATC-1100, going back over 15-16 years

The PRT-40 represents a different era, it may not have the iconic status of the DW-5000C or MRG-1100 "Titanium Frogman", however it was a milestone in Casio`s development of the modern ABC watch, and it will prove interesting to see how this ABC from the past compares with the latest Casio has to offer, maybe it will even give us a surprise or two

On a more personal note; The PRT-40 is something totally different to what is on the market today; it`s not refined, or polished, it has a very industrial look with sensors jutting out of the watch head, it`s display is crowded & cluttered, yet it remains functional & purposeful. The PRT is from a time when Casio was not afraid to experiment with design & colour. The latest ABC`s are becoming more and more sanitized & organic, the PRT-40 is the very antithesis of this trend.
    In recent years it has been rare to see a Protek release that isn't predominantly; black,dark green, grey (Ti), of course there is always this

PRT-40 is a fun watch, and being out doors is not always work related, so time to have some fun

The hunt continues...

Q-6
    Last edited by Queen6; March 30th, 2009 at 21:54.

Hope you find one Q6. These really look tough as old boots, and like you say, really remind me when Casio were pushing the limits of quality digital watch design.

Love to see some pics on the forum soon.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information