Protrek PRW-3000 quick review
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Protrek PRW-3000 quick review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Protrek PRW-3000 quick review

So I just received my new protrek today and decided to post a quick review. I'm not going to go into any details about the function of the watch mainly because I don't know how to use even half of them. I honestly bought this watch for the large legible digits and the looks of it.

First, I would like to clear up some misconceptions I've seen about this watch on various forums. There was some talk that it only had one LED light. I can say confidently that it definitely has dual LED. I don't know how these LEDs compare to some of the g shocks but it's bright enough to see in a dark room and the screen uniformity really isn't too bad. It's definitely brighter on the left where the LEDs are but it easily lights up the whole screen. The second misconception is regarding the band. I read on some forum that the band was the same as the ones on the regular g shocks. I'm no chemist but this band is definitely softer and more pliable than the bands on my 7900 and 9300 mudman. Let me tell just tell you now that it is extremely comfortable and fits very well on my 6.3 inch wrist. One last thing to note is that my particular band/buckle was made in Thailand. I've seen some pics where the band had "Japan" printed on it. I guess mine is a different batch? Not an issue but just interesting.

The best part of this watch for me is the legibility. The digits are very large compared to g shocks and the screen is very crisp. It is a complete 180 from my initial blue mudman. When I'm riding my bike, I like to be able to see the time and other information in a glance which I was unable to do with either of my negative display G's. This watch absolutely solves that problem. The homescreen is very neat and tidy as well. As most of you know, you have your choice of 3 options on the homescreen. 1) day and date. 2) month and date. 3) barometer. It cannot display month, day, and date at the same time. This is unfortunate but is not a deal breaker for me. Another quirk that bothers me is that it cannot display a 2nd time zone with just the press of one button like my g shocks can. I actually use this function a lot when I'm traveling because I like to be able to switch between date and home time on the fly. This again is not a deal breaker but annoying.

Aside from the ABC functions which are cool but I'll probably never use, this watch also has the standard g shock functions such as stop watch, countdown timer, world time, and alarm. Out of these, I use the stop watch the most and I immediately noticed something different about this stop watch. It can only measure to tenths of a second. Both my g shocks and my cheap $30 casio illuminator are all able to measure hundredths of a second. I may not have the terminology quite right so I'll give an example. The protrek for example can measure 4.4 seconds. My other casios can measure 4.45 seconds. I don't think the human reflex can even react in time for hundredths of a second to matter but I just like seeing the double digits. Yeah I'm weird like that. But good news is that it can measure up to 1000 hrs or just a little over 41 days so I guess that makes up for it?

Another great feature is that it displays the current time in stopwatch, timer, alarm, world time, compass, and altimeter modes. This is really handy for when I time my runs or biking trips. A very good feature that I wish was standard on all g shocks.

Well, I've rambled on for quite a bit now so I'll just post some pictures and let you guys check out my newest addition. I'll update this review after a few days. I hope you guys find this review helpful (prob not) and enjoy the pics!

--------------------------------------------------------
    Update 08/29/13

So I've had this watch for over a week now and I just wanted to do a little update. For all you G Shock fans who are wondering just how tough Casio's non G Shock models are, I can safely say that it's plenty tough enough for most regular activities. This past Saturday I managed to flip right off my bike and ended up slamming the watch (face first) right into the ground. Granted it was just grass and dirt but it came out completely unscathed. My knees were another story. Unless you plan on hurling this thing across the room, I think it will hold up just fine.

The legibility of the screen is still what impresses me the most. It's such a complete 180 from my negative display mudman that I actually haven't even worn my mudman since I received the protrek. I actually wouldn't mind doing a straight trade for a positive display mudman but that's for another thread. One weird thing that I have noticed about the screen is that the digits seem to be the blackest and most clear when seen at a slight angle. When I am looking straight down at the watch, the digits actually appear to be a tad washed out but when I tilt the face slightly away from me it suddenly becomes clearer and more impressive looking. I don't know whether this is just my watch or if other displays do this. I just looked at my Casio Illuminator and the exact opposite is true. The display is clearest when viewed directly above. I prefer it this way but it's not a huge deal. The protrek's giant digits more than makes up for this minor flaw.

I still haven't really used this watch for its intended purposes so I can't attest to the accuracy of the barometer or altimeter but the compass and thermometer seems to be pretty dead on so that's good enough for me.

In summary, I love this watch and it's now sharing about equal time with my GMT. It's a keeper!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Seagull S6; August 30th, 2013 at 02:13.
    Chrisek, Boomer..., Milos and 3 others like this.
    Current Collection

Casio Illuminator
    G shock gw7900b-1
    G shock gw5000
    Casio Protrek PRW-3000-1JF
    Seiko kinetic 5M62-0A90
    Seiko solar chronograph SSC079
    Seiko Prospex SUN019
    Grand Seiko SBGA105
    Rolex datejust two tone from the 1980s

Gone Baby Gone
    Seiko Ice Monster
    G Shock gw9200-1
    G shock gw9330b-1
    Tag Heuer Carrera WV211B.BA0787
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer CA2112-BA0809
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
    Victorinox Swiss Army Ambassador 24149

Re: Protrek PRW-3000 quick review

Congrats on the purchase! I hadn't thought about it but it might be the cleanest display I have.

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisek View Post
    Congrats on the purchase! I hadn't thought about it but it might be the cleanest display I have.

sent with aloha
    Thanks buddy! The clean display is what really attracted me to it. I just realized how much I needed a clean display after trying to read my mudman when I was biking.
    Current Collection

Casio Illuminator
    G shock gw7900b-1
    G shock gw5000
    Casio Protrek PRW-3000-1JF
    Seiko kinetic 5M62-0A90
    Seiko solar chronograph SSC079
    Seiko Prospex SUN019
    Grand Seiko SBGA105
    Rolex datejust two tone from the 1980s

Gone Baby Gone
    Seiko Ice Monster
    G Shock gw9200-1
    G shock gw9330b-1
    Tag Heuer Carrera WV211B.BA0787
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer CA2112-BA0809
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
    Victorinox Swiss Army Ambassador 24149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A very nice mini-review of features important to you and probably others here - myself included! Dial legibility looks great and seems similar to older v2 sensor PAW2000 in digit size and overall clarity (ordered one for delivery tomorrow, nicely discounted as side benefit of buying older products ). Perhaps like you, some ABC features won't get used much but legibility is critical to selection of my watches. I'll be anxious to compare mine with these newer v3 models, so thanks for sharing!

Good looking watch.... I wonder though, if you put it next to a Suunto Core, would there be many differences?

Buzz
    Reformed WIS - Fitness/Smart Watch Lover

Garmin Fenix 3 - Waiting for the HR...

lvt

Congrats on the purchase and thanks for a super pictorial review
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Congrats on your new Protrek The legibility is really good, Casio should make some G-Shocks with bigger digits too...
    Watches are fun IF you don't take them seriously.
    Too many watches for my signature... this is my SOTC thread on f71

The band on the 3000 is by far the softest band on all of the Protreks and the softest band of all the G's.

Very comfortable..

Thanks for posting. I have been considering one of these and your comparison photos and comments are most helpful. Good luck with it and I look forward to your updated review. I think it looks better than the Suuntos -- less of a plate on the wrist -- and as you said, easy to read. Wish the GShocks had larger digits. Perhaps the G-350 is a step in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    Congrats on your new Protrek The legibility is really good, Casio should make some G-Shocks with bigger digits too...
    Yup, +1 on that! Nice pickup, congrats! ...

Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts on the Protrek as well!
    Have a great day, or night! ...

Pops

... ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information