Purchase help/suggestion please

Thread: Purchase help/suggestion please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Purchase help/suggestion please

I really hope I'm not breaking any forum rules with this post, but after registering on this site and browsing these forums for the last week and half, I've concluded that I'm ever more confused than I was before I started.

I'm looking for a new watch and budget is definitely a concern. I'ld like to stay as low cost as possible, but am prepared to go about $300 or so. What I'm looking for is a functional watch, not just a timepiece. The 1 thing I will not waver on is the water resistance capability. The watch has to be at least 100m resistant, preferably 200m. I would like it to include as many tools as possible (compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, and just about any other blahblahmeter there can be), but I also know that I'm asking for a lot of options on not too much money. I understand that I won't find exactly everything I'm looking for, but the more I can get include the happier I will be (obviously).

We are planning a 7 day Disney cruise, followed by a 5 day stay at Disney world in January of 2013. So along with the above criteria, it has to be both tough enough that I won't have to worry about it getting ruined during the trip and at the same time, it should look nice enough that I can wear it during the more adult portions of the trip and not worry about looking like I've got a toy on my wrist.

Additionally, there is a retailer close enough that I can order online and pickup in store, thereby avoiding shipping costs, that is having a sale this weekend and has a 12% coupon off as well. That means I could order it online, save shipping by opting for in store pickup, and get reimbursed for my sales tax with an extra 3-3.5% back, so I am on somewhat of a time crunch.

I'm posting on the G-Shock forums, because I think that is going to be my best bet for what I'm looking for. However, I'm not opposed to buying something else, if that would help me fill my want list.

I appreciate any suggestions you might be able to provide, and thank you for your time in reading and hopefully responding to my post.

Re: Purchase help/suggestion please

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Taidaisher View Post
    The 1 thing I will not waver on is the water resistance capability. The watch has to be at least 100m resistant, preferably 200m.
    You're in the right place for that criterai -- EVERY new G Shock is rated for 200m!

I would like it to include as many tools as possible (compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, and just about any other blahblahmeter there can be), but I also know that I'm asking for a lot of options on not too much money. I understand that I won't find exactly everything I'm looking for, but the more I can get include the happier I will be (obviously).
    I'd suggest "keep reading" on that one -- the thermometer function usually requires that you take the watch off your wrist so that your body heat doesn't throw off the reading, and I'm not an expert on the altimeter and barometer functions but since they both rely on air pressure, there's apparently calibration issues with them. (As the air pressure falls "hmmm...is a front moving in or am I climbing a mountain?" I guess it's an issue if both are happening at once.) I thought I wanted an "ABC watch" [altimter/barometer/compass] myself 'till I started doing the research and (personally) chose not to go that route.

Are you interested, definitely NOT interested, or undecided about nightly (or "on demand") radio-signal updates from the atomic clock in Colorado that keep the watch accurate to the second? That's one "gadget" you didn't mention above, that a lot of us like, and might be a factor in your search.

Lastly, do you want a digital display, an analog display, or both?

We are planning a 7 day Disney cruise, followed by a 5 day stay at Disney world in January of 2013. So along with the above criteria, it has to be both tough enough that I won't have to worry about it getting ruined during the trip and at the same time, it should look nice enough that I can wear it during the more adult portions of the trip and not worry about looking like I've got a toy on my wrist.
    I'd recommend "black" as the base color, then, not one of the brightly colored ones.

I think the course of this thread will help narrow down the perfect watch for you...

More details will help... But from what you say about wanting a multi function alti-baro-thermo watch that looks smart as well, you may be well suited to browse in the pro-trek / pathfinder line as well.

Not as tough as g shocks, but I'd say adequate for your purposes...all of which come with alto baro thermo and compass capabilities as standard :)

Having those features on g shock pretty much limits you to 2 currently produced Gs... The GW-9200 riseman and the GW-9300 Mudman. I would suggest that they may look more like toys than some of their pro trek cousins...
    Last edited by Sengyoku; August 29th, 2012 at 22:18.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mike K - Thank you for the welcome and the input.

To answer your questions/comments:

I would prefer the watch to be black with some color thrown in vs be a colorful watch with black on it.
    Digital v analog and atomic v non-atomic, none of those are really big issues for me. I would prefer the display to be a dual display, but if not, it's not a deal breaker for me. A few years ago, I won a G-Shock from ESPN radio (710 am in Los Angeles), I don't know which model it is, but I can check and update once I get home, that is both atomic and solar. Again, not a deal breaker for me either way.
    Thank you for the information on the ABC functions. I hadn't really given much thought into those features and how they would be affected by me directly. A thermometer doesn't help much if I always have to take off the watch to get a true reading. The altometer/barometer function, I could see that would be affected by diving as well. Depending on the atmospheric pressure of the dive, that could throw off those readings as well.
    Since you were looking into an ABC, and went a different path, what did you go with?

Sengyoku - Thank you for your input.

What additional details can I provide that might help?
    I will look into both the pro-trek & pathfinder lines. I have checked into the pathfinder line, and though they are impressive watches, they seem to all be limited to 100m water resistant. I know that realistically, unless I'm diving scuba, 100m is more than sufficient, but 200m would be much cooler to have.
    Thank you for your suggestions of the riseman and the mudman. I've got the mudman on my radar, but the riseman I hadn't heard of before.

Again, thank you both for your input.

The guys nailed it.. Riseman or Mudman, Pathfinder or Pro-Trek. One of those will certainly satisfy your cravings!

GW9200 Riseman... 'nuff said!

The only thing it is short on is the compass. But the compass ain't all that great on Casio's anyways. And the other "blahblahmeters" trails the performance of other brands. I do find the Baro trend graphing somewhat usefull and all the ABT functions are at least entertaining. But am I wrong to assume you are interested in these features for the "gadget factor"?

Beyond the ABT functions, the GW9200 is a great wwatch. You get Solar + Multiband 6 Atomic so it'll synch with the atomic clock (if you get a signal and most places do). It has the standard 24 hr stopwatch and countdown timer, world time, and 5 alarms. You also get your home time in all modes except the Alti Rec mode and it has 5 button operation. 6 if you count the dedicated Alti button.

Even more, it is on the smaller side of G-Shocks so it doesn't look too "toyish" Not as small as a 5000 series but it is relatively small. If you want smaller, then look at a GLX5600. It doesn't have ABT but has Moon and Tide phase for your gadgetry needs.

If you "want it all", look at the Pathfinder/Protreks. They have ABC+T and some models have Moon+Tide and/or Sunrise/Sunset. They are big on the wrist though but some are available in metal (titanium) which looks a little more "mature" but could push your $300 limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolio* View Post
    GW9200 Riseman... 'nuff said!

The only thing it is short on is the compass. But the compass ain't all that great on Casio's anyways. And the other "blahblahmeters" trails the performance of other brands. I do find the Baro trend graphing somewhat usefull and all the ABT functions are at least entertaining. But am I wrong to assume you are interested in these features for the "gadget factor"?

Beyond the ABT functions, the GW9200 is a great wwatch. You get Solar + Multiband 6 Atomic so it'll synch with the atomic clock (if you get a signal and most places do). It has the standard 24 hr stopwatch and countdown timer, world time, and 5 alarms. You also get your home time in all modes except the Alti Rec mode and it has 5 button operation. 6 if you count the dedicated Alti button.

Even more, it is on the smaller side of G-Shocks so it doesn't look too "toyish" Not as small as a 5000 series but it is relatively small. If you want smaller, then look at a GLX5600. It doesn't have ABT but has Moon and Tide phase for your gadgetry needs.

If you "want it all", look at the Pathfinder/Protreks. They have ABC+T and some models have Moon+Tide and/or Sunrise/Sunset. They are big on the wrist though but some are available in metal (titanium) which looks a little more "mature" but could push your $300 limit.

I would actually prefer a larger watch v a smaller watch. I think the smaller watches look a bit more toyish than the larger gadget watches.
    Your assumption about the "gadget factor" isn't wrong. I would enjoy the use of the gadgets but in all seriousness, I doubt (actually hope) that I'm never in a situation where I need to know any of that information for any real purpose.

Like I mentioned in response to Sengyoku, the Protrek I hadn't looked into, but am checking on now. I do have the pathfinders on my radar, but they do seem to be limited at 100m, which is more than enough in all reality, but I would prefer a 200m watch.

Thank you for your input, you are now the 2nd person to suggest the riseman.

Taidaisher,

I suggest you look into Protrek PRW2500-1. It has the ABC functions and has 200 meter water resistance.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Since you were looking into an ABC, and went a different path, what did you go with?
    Glad to help, and sounds like you're narrowing things down nicely!

Since I was on the same page as you regarding the "not terribly useful if I have to keep taking it off to get a reading" part, and wasn't expecting to get much use from the altimeter, I changed my direction and went for "solar," "atomic," and (in the interest of my budget) "digital."

If you find yourself leaning in that direction, the MTG-900 series are probably among the largest G's I've seen, closely followed by the GW-6900 which has a largish diameter and a thin case. There's also the GW-2310 family, which are thicker but a little smaller in diameter. Of those, the GW-6900 in basic black is my personal favorite.

When I was asking for more details previously it was to find out what features were most important to you to figure out which timepiece best suits your purposes...but I'm getting the feeling you have yet to decide on what you absolutely want at this moment, possibly because you're being overwhelmed in a sea of features :)

Firstly, to aid your research, I believe the 'pro-trek' and 'pathfinder' lines are actually the same products, just named differently for different markets (i.e. Pathfinder is the US branding of Pro-Trek) maybe another expert member can clarify this...

We've narrowed the G-shock line down to 2 specific models that suit your needs, i.e. the 9200 riseman and 9300 mudman. I have both these watches and I would vouch for them as excellent pieces, they are indeed popular on this forum. However in terms of raw features with all the bells and whistles, the Pro-treks are superior, of course the only thing they lack from the G shocks are the more rugged looks, shock resistant build and (the all important :) 200m WR.

I completely understand your 'need' to have a watch that is water resistant to 20bar (yes, it's cool!), regardless of how irrelevant it is to actual use :P However the fact that I have many other G shocks has diluted that 'need' and if I was going for a most comprehensive set of features I would pick a Pro-Trek...because they are all mind-blowingly feature rich... I only have an old PRG-80, yet that has more features and more intricacies than any G shock I have. I was hoping another member with a mightier Pro-trek would come along and share its wonders with you :)

One good thing about the Pro-trekkies, is that the line is considerably less expansive than the G shocks, so you won't have to be browsing forever. A quick retail search should turn up what's currently in production. You can get big displaying all digital models or alternative ana-digi dual display models, choices in resin bands or titanium bracelets, even super-nice (but way above your budget) special editions (manaslu). BUT, yes like you said, they are only built to 100m WR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information