Q: What's green and square? (Photos)
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Q: What's green and square? (Photos)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Q: What's green and square? (Photos)

A: My G-8100A-9!
    Name:  G-8100A.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  209.6 KB

I rather like this recent purchase. I get the impression it was supposed to look quite modern when it came out, which wasn't that long ago, but now it seems very retro to me. The watch has pretty basic functionality but some nice finishing touches to the design and a pin-sharp display. Here are a few photos:

Front view:
    Name:  front.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  264.2 KB

Face Detail:
    Name:  detail1.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  230.9 KB

There are some nice details such as the laser engraved "SHOCK RESIST" on the brushed metal bar:
    Name:  laser engraving.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  254.9 KB
    And spiral detail on the metallised EL button:
    Name:  EL button.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  106.6 KB
    Texture on the inside of the strap:
    Name:  inside strap.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  205.3 KB
    It is quite a simple strap design but the buckle has a squared edged design to match the watch:
    Name:  strap_.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  148.2 KB
    The buttons are hidden under the edge of the watch but are much easier to press than the buttons on the G-056 series:
    Name:  back_.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  141.1 KB
    And here is the watch side by side with a green friend:
    Name:  side by side.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  286.5 KB
    The 8100 is not quite as crazy green as the hypercolor GA-110B, but it is pretty bright, and it reminds me of a car I used to own!

Hope you enjoy the photos,

Luke
    Last edited by Luke_A_P; June 30th, 2012 at 17:44.

LUW

Re: Q: What's green and square? (Photos)

AWESOME shots!
    I always think of the 8100 as one of those "sci-fi" watches .
    1onehandwill likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Great, great thread as that watch is on my wish-list for a very long time! On product pics it looked much greener however. I should have known better as the "9" in the model number means yellow. Green would be "3". Still loving it though. Have been wearing my G-8100 today, too. IMO one of the coolest square designs - and AFAIK there is still at least one of the 8100s in production - at least it's still included on the Casio Japan homepage, it's even included in the banner so I guess people at Casio value it very highly despite it's missing success with the masses (I think this model is more popular in Japan than in the rest of the world - I know there was some Japanese YoYo-champion who wore the white G-8100 - it's buried in some ancient thread but I couldn't find the pic).
    DIGITAL - STANDARD - LINE UP - [G-SHOCK.jp]

Really a nice summer watch and still on my list but I should get one fast as it looks like it's getting rarer.
    Have fun with it and thanks for the great pics!

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Great, great thread as that watch is on my wish-list for a very long time! On product pics it looked much greener however. I should have known better as the "9" in the model number means yellow. Green would be "3". Still loving it though. Have been wearing my G-8100 today, too. IMO one of the coolest square designs - and AFAIK there is still at least one of the 8100s in production - at least it's still included on the Casio Japan homepage, it's even included in the banner so I guess people at Casio value it very highly despite it's missing success with the masses (I think this model is more popular in Japan than in the rest of the world - I know there was some Japanese YoYo-champion who wore the white G-8100 - it's buried in some ancient thread but I couldn't find the pic).
    DIGITAL - STANDARD - LINE UP - [G-SHOCK.jp]

Really a nice summer watch and still on my list but I should get one fast as it looks like it's getting rarer.
    Have fun with it and thanks for the great pics!

cheers, Sedi
    Yeah, is definitely borderline between green/yellow. To be honest it is difficult to get the colour balance right in the photos, they look spot on one monitor but not on another! I have to say, looking through google images, this model has been made in some shocking colours; metallic brown?!?

It did surprise me a bit to learn they are still making them, I can't say that I have ever seen someone wearing one.

That watch is legit!
    GX-56-4 | GA-110RF | G-8900DGK | GW-9400-3

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    AWESOME shots!
    I always think of the 8100 as one of those "sci-fi" watches .
    Yeah, it could be straight out of 2001! I love the font used in the numerals.
    i've been thinking that the design would actually be perfect for a tough solar module, the black areas bordering the display could be made into solar cells without changing the look.

Different. I like it. Too bad its not larger. I'd like to see one larger and thicker than the King, in black with reverse display. Then I would be a buyer.

The only state created during the Civil War.

There is something about this model that screams cool. Is it just me that thinks this model would fit in perfect back in the 60s as well as today? I would love to see some wrist shots, especially on a 7.5 inch wrist. Just when I think I am done for a while there is always one that pops up that gets my attention which ends up on my wish list.
    "O-M-G!! I am rich!... Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeth, Crystals in the kidneys, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries, and an inexhaustable supply of Natural Gas. I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!!"

Gone But Not Forgotten:
    Anonimo | Bali Hai | Ball | Benarus | Boschett | Breitling | Debaufre | Deep Blue | Doxa | DWatch| Enzo Mechana | Glycine | Halios | Helson | Marathon | Kobold | Korsbek | Kremke | MKII | Ocean7 | Omega | Orsa | Oris | Precista | Prometheus | Riedenschild | Steinhart | Seiko | Tissot | Zinex/Zixen

I will end up with one. Only a matter of time.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

UPDATE: Wrist and EL shots

I few more images,
    The watch on my 7" wrist:
    Name:  wrist_front.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  347.7 KB
    Back:
    Name:  wrist_back.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  191.8 KB
    And with the EL on and off:
    I like the bright ring that lights up around the display. I have noticed that on some of the other 8100 colours the square area around the display is translucent and lights up a little, silhouetting the button labels. I'm not sure whether I would like that more or not. I think it is a very nice backlight as it is.
    Name:  EL on-off.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  267.6 KB

Luke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information