Quality control on squares, tilted displays
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Quality control on squares, tilted displays

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quality control on squares, tilted displays

I'm a huge fan of the 5xxx series squares but I received one with an ever so slightly tilted module and it has led me into looking at pictures of others.
    I'm noticing that like 10% of the modules I'm seeing on 5 series squares are slightly skewed. The easiest way to tell is looking at the little date rectangle in comparison to the bezel. I've seen it on 5600s 5610s, normal 5000s, and even the gold and silver 5000s.
    Does this bother anybody else or am I looking too deeply into it?
    Last edited by inky0ct0pus; November 5th, 2018 at 21:10.

Re: Quality control on squares, tilted displays

At first I thought you are just seeing some camera angle distortion, but wow, at least this looks real and bad.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WES51 View Post
    At first I thought you are just seeing some camera angle distortion, but wow, at least this looks real and bad.
    Yeah I had thought the same. Just looking at the gshock squares tag on Instagram you can see squares with varying degrees of tilted displays. I don't seem to see it as much on the cheaper 5600s which is interesting.

One would hope that paying 500 to 700 dollars on a watch would get you one with a straight LCD screen. Kinda bums me out.

Unless you can get a clear statement from the owners that they are not internally modified, or had an owner taking the module out and sticking it back in, or replacing a battery whether required or not, it's hard to draw any conclusions from publicly posted photos on the internet, especially if they are of older watches. The first link is of a modified DW-5030C, which is not a current watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken View Post
    Unless you can get a clear statement from the owners that they are not internally modified, or had an owner taking the module out and sticking it back in, or replacing a battery whether required or not, it's hard to draw any conclusions from publicly posted photos on the internet, especially if they are of older watches. The first link is of a modified DW-5030C, which is not a current watch.
    Fair enough. The thing that led me to notice was that one of my watches came tilted from the factory. It was one of the more expensive models so I had examined it very closely for defects. Which led me to look at my others. Two out of three had some degree of tilt. One didn't have much. The other was apparent. None had ever been opened up, modified or serviced.

I think this one might be due to a camera lens distortion though. Because to me the font in the upper area looks perfectly parallel.
    This however looks very real. I can clearly see it even by time numbers being totally off.

Quote Originally Posted by WES51 View Post
    This however looks very real. I can clearly see it even by time numbers being totally off.
    Yeah that one is the worst I think I've seen. Poor guy. I wonder if he's noticed.

The first photo doesn't look at all skewed to me.

The second photo looks a little skewed, but only on the top edge. The right side looks aligned pretty well.

Also, without seeing these things in person, it's almost impossible to really tell what's going on. There's parallax as well as camera distortion.

It's difficult to prove without definitive in-person inspection. I'm sure it's possible that there might be small alignment issues here and there - these aren't Rolexes. Whether or not that's an issue is personal, I suppose. It doesn't really bother me.
    Last edited by FROG; November 6th, 2018 at 04:05.
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information