Question about analog models

Thread: Question about analog models

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about analog models

I was looking at some of the atomic-solar models with the analog hands on ebay and although it seems like they have the usual features: alarm, CDT, etc., there is not a lot of space on the screen for displaying what time the alarm is set to etc. When you switch to alarm mode, does it change the time that the hands are displaying to show you the alarm time? I don't think I would like that.

I have a Citizen Eco Drive with alarm and chrono from probably 10 years ago almost, and although I love it, I would frequently bump one of the buttons, switch it to alarm mode, then the hands would change to show that time instead. Then of course I look like an idiot when someone says, "What time is it?" and I can't read my own watch. It takes a few seconds for the hands to go back to the real time, so most of the time I ended up just saying that my watch is broken to save the hassle of explaining.

Re: Question about analog models

Quote Originally Posted by sean2tall View Post
    I was looking at some of the atomic-solar models with the analog hands on ebay and although it seems like they have the usual features: alarm, CDT, etc., there is not a lot of space on the screen for displaying what time the alarm is set to etc. When you switch to alarm mode, does it change the time that the hands are displaying to show you the alarm time? I don't think I would like that.

I have a Citizen Eco Drive with alarm and chrono from probably 10 years ago almost, and although I love it, I would frequently bump one of the buttons, switch it to alarm mode, then the hands would change to show that time instead. Then of course I look like an idiot when someone says, "What time is it?" and I can't read my own watch. It takes a few seconds for the hands to go back to the real time, so most of the time I ended up just saying that my watch is broken to save the hassle of explaining.
    The 1210 that I had did all the alarm stuff on the 6:00 digital display window. That worked well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

-Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

The analog hands always show the current time, and move in 20second steps. World time, CDT, STW, and ALM features are all displayed on the LCDs and don't affect the analog hands. One of the greats things about ana-digi G-Shocks is that the time is always displayed, regardless of mode :)

My GW-1701D has two alphanumeric LCDs, in stopwatch mode the left LCD says `00'00', and the right has the 1/100 second part, `00'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Promethius View Post
    The analog hands always show the current time, and move in 20second steps. World time, CDT, STW, and ALM features are all displayed on the LCDs and don't affect the analog hands. One of the greats things about ana-digi G-Shocks is that the time is always displayed, regardless of mode :)

My GW-1701D has two alphanumeric LCDs, in stopwatch mode the left LCD says `00'00', and the right has the 1/100 second part, `00'.
    Good points, one slight correction. Not all move at 20 seconds. My Giez (gw1000) moves every 10 seconds. Does that mean it has 2X the accuracy?
    -Nate
    -Albert Einstein

I nearly got a GW-1310 with blue face. Now I'm waiting out to afford a Giez. I'd like to get an analog or ani-digi G someday. The GW-1310 appealed based on the watchreport review:

http://www.watchreport.com/2005/05/mini_review_of_.html

I am really curious to learn if the new Giez GS-1100 will show the current time in all modes, or if the main dial will be used like Sean2tall's Citizen watch. I like that the Giez GS-1000 uses the sub-dial at 3 o'clock for the world-time, alarm, and stopwatch (plus the main-dial indicator arm and the sub-dial at 6 o'clock-- but, always, the current time is displayed on the GS-1000, and I like that! Still waiting for CASIO to post the GS-1100 module 4777....
    Last edited by jmathis; August 20th, 2007 at 11:14. Reason: added info about GW-1310
    regards,
    James
    | GW-9010-1; Mudman Rally Timer; August 22, 2012 | GS-1150-1; Giez; 2011 | DW-9700NC-8T; Helly Hansen; Sept 20, 2010 | G-8000F-9DR; Sept 18, 2010 | GW-9200; Riseman; June 29, 09 | DW-1000: pre-G; orig 1982; refurb Sept, 06 | GL-150-8v; ~2001 | G-7000D-8v; ~2000 | G-5600J; RECOVER plagued | G-8000F-4DR; Feb 26, 2007 | Giez GS-1001-7ADR; Jan 3, 2008 | three data bank calculators | BG-148; ~2000 |

I never really liked the fact that my 1210 didn't have an analog second hand. I'm even a bit bothered by the gs1000 having the second hand on the 6:00 sub dial but at least it's there in analog form.

I'm curious about the 1100 manual as well. Changed my pre-order to the blue model as I already have the all black 1000.
    -Nate
    -Albert Einstein

I never really liked the fact that my 1210 didn't have an analog second hand. I'm even a bit bothered by the gs1000 having the second hand on the 6:00 sub dial but at least it's there.

I'm curious about the 1100 manual as well. Changed my pre-order to the blue model as I already have the all black 1000.
    -Nate
    -Albert Einstein

Wink Re: Question about analog models

Quote Originally Posted by natornate View Post
    My Giez (gw1000) moves every 10 seconds. Does that mean it has 2X the accuracy?
    Hi Nate,

I believe that is. wasn't that called resolution. I think the accuracy is always better than most other analogue models, because it has a seconds hand. But for the minute hand, the resolution is doubled the accuracy

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

My GW1500 has the window at the 6 oclock position that handles the displays for seconds, Day-Date, and sync time. Plus stop watch and alarm. A lot of work for such a tiny display. But it works.
    The analog hands only represent current time.

Deacon,
    I have a 1500 coming this week, how do you like yours?
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information