Question about the band on a GW5000
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question about the band on a GW5000

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about the band on a GW5000

First time poster here, though I have been browsing this forum on and off for years.

I'm considering buying a GW5000. I had originally considered the GWM5610 as I like the retro look and the idea of never having to wind a watch appeals (I have a couple of rarely worn mechanicals that need to be wound every time I wear them). However, the only other G that I've owned is an AW591 and expect that they share the same kind of strap. The AW591 strap was pretty terrible- stiff, clunky and on a small wrist it left huge gaps at corrugated section by the lugs. I mitigated this somewhat by re-molding in hot water, but overall the strap was still unpleasant enough that I quickly replaced it with a softer NATO style band.

I've read that the strap on the GW5000 is much more supple. Can anyone confirm that this additional flexibility also applies to the sections of strap by the lugs, and that the straps don't have the "small wrist overhang" problem that accompanies stiffer G-Shock watch straps?

Or perhaps I am wrong about the strap on the GWM5610- is it comparable to the AW591 in stiffness?

Quote Originally Posted by jay-el View Post
    First time poster here, though I have been browsing this forum on and off for years.

I'm considering buying a GW5000. I had originally considered the GWM5610 as I like the retro look and the idea of never having to wind a watch appeals (I have a couple of rarely worn mechanicals that need to be wound every time I wear them). However, the only other G that I've owned is an AW591 and expect that they share the same kind of strap. The AW591 strap was pretty terrible- stiff, clunky and on a small wrist it left huge gaps at corrugated section by the lugs. I mitigated this somewhat by re-molding in hot water, but overall the strap was still unpleasant enough that I quickly replaced it with a softer NATO style band.

I've read that the strap on the GW5000 is much more supple. Can anyone confirm that this additional flexibility also applies to the sections of strap by the lugs, and that the straps don't have the "small wrist overhang" problem that accompanies stiffer G-Shock watch straps?

Or perhaps I am wrong about the strap on the GWM5610- is it comparable to the AW591 in stiffness?
    Let's just say if you find the GW-5000 strap uncomfortable, you won't be happy with the comfort of any g-shock strap. It is definitely the softest and most comfortable strap in my experience. So it is definitely worth a try. I personally prefer a stiffer strap because it seems more tough and durable, but I can't complain about the comfort of the gw-5000 strap

Re: Question about the band on a GW5000

There are probably a dozen threads asking "is the GW5000 strap really that much better and/or softer than" other straps -- here are most of them: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...gw-5000+strap+

...but the answer to the question seems to be a resounding "yes, they ARE that much better!"

Quote Originally Posted by jay-el View Post
    ...and that the straps don't have the "small wrist overhang" problem that accompanies stiffer G-Shock watch straps?
    Many times the "small wrist overhang" isn't a function of the strap stiffness or material, but of the way the strap itself is designed:
    Name:  strap wings.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  22.6 KB

The 5600 line has a small "lug to lug" distance, and the "integrated wings" on the underside of the strap are smaller than those on many other models, so there isn't much "overhang" at all with those models.

The DW-, G-, and GW-6900 have a much larger lug-to-lug distance AND larger "wings," so many of us have solved the overhang problem with our 6900's by installing straps from a 5600 model instead.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mike, thanks for that post.

My Google-Fu is weak when looking for information on my smartphone, and your link caused me to pull together enough factors to make a decision to order both the GWM5610 and a GW5000 strap.

It looks like the overhand problem isn't going to be an issue, but I'd still prefer a more supple strap.

The 51g of the GWM5610 is appealing- the watch that I most comfortably wear is only 40g (a 1960s Seamaster) and the 76g of the GW5000 is exactly the same as my least-worn watch (a recent Sinn).

Glad I could help out!

I don't use a smartphone, but hopefully this trick will work there too -- the "secret" to searching for subjects on Watchuseek is to Google "site:forums.watchuseek.com" plus the search terms, and "site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17" plus the search terms to search just the G-Shock subforum. I found the above link (and all of those threads) with "site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 gw-5000 strap soft".

Just to add to Mike K's post. I have fairly small wrists and have both the GW-M5600 (the predecessor of the 5610) and the GW-5000. The strap on the GW-5000 is gorgeously soft and extremely comfortable to wear - not that the 5600's strap is uncomfortable - and so far I've not found it to be any less strong than the "standard" one. As someone gifted with slim wrists, I have no overhang or "gapping" problems with either model - nor with any other of the 5000 or 5600 G-Shocks I own. The GW-M5610 with the GW-5000 strap is a great combination - I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

I'm also trying to find a more comfortable strap for my 5600. Except, I have bigger wrists, 8.25 to 8.5 or so. I really like the 5600's but just not comfy with the stock strap, it fits but only one or two "wrungs" are left.
    So, I'm curious if the GW-5000 might be a better fit, if it's longer too. Also is it a straight swap I wonder?
    I know I can go with adapters and a Nato band but the pics I've seen just don't seem to match really well, so I'm unsure about this solution.
    I was scrolling TikTox and came up with this (hope I can post this link)

DW-5600B, Cloth & Leather - Tiktox

It's a single piece band, again not sure if long enough but I'm wondering if anyone might have experience with similar bands?

Quote Originally Posted by VR16710 View Post
    I'm also trying to find a more comfortable strap for my 5600. Except, I have bigger wrists, 8.25 to 8.5 or so. I really like the 5600's but just not comfy with the stock strap, it fits but only one or two "wrungs" are left.
    So, I'm curious if the GW-5000 might be a better fit, if it's longer too. Also is it a straight swap I wonder?
    I know I can go with adapters and a Nato band but the pics I've seen just don't seem to match really well, so I'm unsure about this solution.
    I was scrolling TikTox and came up with this (hope I can post this link)

DW-5600B, Cloth & Leather - Tiktox

It's a single piece band, again not sure if long enough but I'm wondering if anyone might have experience with similar bands?
    Both the 'regular' and GW-5000 bands are of the same length and it will be a straight swap.

Can't comment on the cloth and leather 'pad' though it does look interesting.

I believe Nato bands would definitely fit your length requirements but it does offer a completely different look and while some like it, some don't.

Thanks Watchphile, I guess the 5000 band wouldn't do me much good then. Yeah, I seem to be one of the ones who isn't wild about the looks of the Nato bands, at least the pics I've seen. I'll probably just email Tiktox and ask for the length, that one in the link does look interesting to me.

One I got my GW-5000 I would up replacing all my squares with the GW-5000 strap. It is that much more comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information