Question about carbon fiber...
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Question about carbon fiber...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about carbon fiber...

I'm about to purchase the GW-9300 Mudman.

It says one of the features of the watch is it has a carbon fiber insert in the band.

What is the function of this carbon fiber strap exactly?
    Current Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay (on OEM bracelet) | Rado Original Automatic 648.0408.3.161 | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 | Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock collection:
    GW-M5630E-9JR, GA-400-4A, DW-6900SG, GW-5000-1JF, GWF-1000-1DR, GW-200Z-1DR, GW-9200-1, GX-56-1B, G-5600E, G-6900-1, DW-5600MS, G-7302RL (non-functioning)

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | Credor ​Eichi II (when fishes talk) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 (acquired) | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold ​(acquired)

**Sig limit reached...**

Re: Question about carbon fiber...

It could be argued that it is primarily a marketing gimmick. Carbon Fibre is incredibly strong, and comparatively light compared to other materials. To be honest, the number of cases of straps 'breaking' is minute, and when they do go, it is often due to being pulled out of their fitting from the watch lug, when the springbar gives out. (Hence why Nato style straps are so popular for genuine rugged activity). But hey, it's like saying your car has a 'turbo', it's a nice buzz word...
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

LUW

Marketing gimmick.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like carbon fiber on the strap keeper

The strap keeper broke on my cheap Timex

Remember, where your treasure is, there your heart is also.

One of the advantages of carbon fibre is that you can choose where the strength is going to lie in the material. ...That is to say, if you can anticipate the kind of loads and stresses which are going to be applied to whatever it is you're making, then you can deliberately sacrifice strength in less needed directions/areas in favour of increasing the strength where it matters. This is one of the reasons that it can be so strong and still very light.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy96 View Post
    What is the function of this carbon fiber strap exactly?
    Durability. I have seen a G-Shock strap test somewhere, which demonstrated how much more durable the strap is with carbon fiber insert.
    Last edited by ggyy1276; April 18th, 2012 at 23:29.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

The carbon fiber insert is in the center, where the buckle holes are, so it's much more than a marketing thing.

I don't remember seeing a carbon fiber strap keeper on the Mudman before. On the GW-9300GY, it's supposed to be made of polished metal. EDIT: Ah, I see it's on the GW-9300GB. It looks more like a carbon-fiber "pattern", rather than real carbon fiber. Can anyone confirm?
    Last edited by xevious; April 19th, 2012 at 01:09.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    It looks more like a carbon-fiber "pattern", rather than real carbon fiber. Can anyone confirm?
    The keeper is real carbon fiber in clear resin.

Name:  GW-9300-1JF_3.jpg
Views: 2829
Size:  125.9 KB

They are using the same carbon fiber keeper design as seen on the GW-S5600 for the GW-9300. The carbon fiber keep is clear on the top side and matte on the inside with rubberized backing for durability.

Name:  GW-S5600-1JF_2.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  GW-S5600-1JF_8.jpg
Views: 2034
Size:  122.2 KB
    Last edited by Feisar; April 19th, 2012 at 02:58. Reason: Photos
    xevious likes this.
    G-Shocks
    Origins, Master of Gs, Sky Cockpits, G-Lides, Standards, Specials

G-Shock Collaborations
    Maison Martin Margiela, CLOT, [email protected], ICERC, LRG, Subcrew, Turbokolor, Brooklyn Circus, Eric Haze, Marc Aurele, Lo.wer, Stussy, Bape, Hundreds, Dee & Ricky, Krink, Nigel Sylvester, ALife, Parra, In4Mation, Illest, Wu-Tang, One Piece, Akira, Ultraman

Please refer to the
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tsg5O1KfKA
    (From around 23 seconds after the start) [Stretching break resist]

For glass band and carbon fiber band
    Japanese site, there is a developer interview.
    I can not translate them well.
    http://news.mynavi.jp/articles/2011/04/08/casiogd200/index.html
    I am sorry if you don't understand what I say, my English skills are really poor (bad).

It is mainly marketing, but it looks cool and is comfortable, one of my most comfortable G Shocks and that is what counts.

T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information