question about modding

Thread: question about modding

question about modding

I received my gd100-sc7 today. my original plan was to remove the paint from the bezel and color it orange to match the lcd. seen here:

i have goof off, goo gone, and acetone all at my disposal to clean off the paint. however, since the bezel is glossy, how will the chemicals react to it?

My main fear is that i will remove the glossy coating and will be left with a matte white watch.

anyone have any experience removing paint from a glossy bezel?
    i <3 GSHOCKS
    gr8900a || g300-ml || ef-552
    dw6500 "skyforce" || gw410-tcj "triple crown" || gw7900rd-4 "men in burning red" || gd100-ns7 "nigel sylvester"
    gw9200-1 "bullbar riseman mod" || gd100-sc7 "black and blue mod" || gd100-1b "sf giants mod" || g9000mx-8 "poorman's miro mudman mod"

Re: question about modding

I've only removed paint from the regular resin bezels without the glossy finish, so I'm no help to you hear. But I do know that goof off is some potent stuff. If you let your bexel sit in it too long, it will start to melt it.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

User experiences her say that the glossy stuff will not come off easily. I´ve removed many letterings, but not on a glossy bezel. But the solvent needs not much time to remove the paint from the bezel, so i guess it should be safe to remove the lettering from the bezel. At first, i´d try to just paint orange over teh existing letters, this would be the easiest way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1. I would try that, too. May take two coats to cover the blue, but should work fine.

Sent from the Office of the Reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

hmm, i'll give that a shot first, but the letters look a little shallow with the stock paint in there.
    i might go completely in a different direction with the mod actually. i had not noticed that the buttons were also blue until i received the watch.
    i <3 GSHOCKS
    gr8900a || g300-ml || ef-552
    dw6500 "skyforce" || gw410-tcj "triple crown" || gw7900rd-4 "men in burning red" || gd100-ns7 "nigel sylvester"
    gw9200-1 "bullbar riseman mod" || gd100-sc7 "black and blue mod" || gd100-1b "sf giants mod" || g9000mx-8 "poorman's miro mudman mod"

Member Horrible Gelatinous Blob's Avatar

If you have the patience, you can try to remove the bezel paint using some goof off on the tip of a toothpick.

I was wondering what ur plans were for the buttons. I've painted over letters with factory paint in them with no problem. The paint will stick just fine.

Sent from the Office of the Reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas
    Hook 'Em!!

i would say the buttons could be painted easily, except for the fact that they will be pressed repeatedly over time and may flake off? it's not like people rub their fingers on the lettering every day, so who knows how that affects the buttons. but who knows, im just speculating.

Thread Information