Question about USPS international post

Thread: Question about USPS international post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member bluegum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    brisbane, australia
    Posts
    5,160

    Off topic Question about USPS international post

    I was wondering whether a watch can be fully covered by insurance when sent via First-Class Mail International? I looked at their website it looks like no insurance is offered.

    Reason I ask is that most of the time, when I get watches from US online shops, they send via this level of shipping. I have never had anything get 'lost' via USPS in over 10 years to Australia, and amazingly, standard First-Class USPS here can arrive faster than it takes a parcel to arrive from Sydney.

    Worst case senario, how much can USPS First-Class Mail International be insured for, if at all? And if not, what's the next level of USPS parcel post which can be insured?

  2. #2
    Member Joakim Agren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,191

    Re: Question about USPS international post

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    I was wondering whether a watch can be fully covered by insurance when sent via First-Class Mail International? I looked at their website it looks like no insurance is offered.

    Reason I ask is that most of the time, when I get watches from US online shops, they send via this level of shipping. I have never had anything get 'lost' via USPS in over 10 years to Australia, and amazingly, standard First-Class USPS here can arrive faster than it takes a parcel to arrive from Sydney.

    Worst case senario, how much can USPS First-Class Mail International be insured for, if at all? And if not, what's the next level of USPS parcel post which can be insured?
    No need to worry about insurance for packages!

    You as a buyer is fully covered either by PayPal or your credit card/ issuer if nothing arrives.

    The insurance is only for the seller to cover its losses, not you as a buyer!

    If they send it un-insured (which most sellers do for lower priced items) then its their risk.

    I think there is a new rule on ebay where sellers are no longer allowed to mention or charge extra for insured shipment in auction listings. Its simply not something, a buyer should have to deal with.
    Last edited by Joakim Agren; December 14th, 2009 at 05:04.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142


  3. #3
    Member BREAKWATER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Question about USPS international post

    Registered is the next level of service from USPS and your price then triples, add a fully insured amount and you can, most of the time, double the already tripled cost, depending on how much the item is insured for.
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member quattrojames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dorset UK
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Question about USPS international post

    Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    No need to worry about insurance for packages!

    You as a buyer is fully covered either by PayPal or your credit card/ issuer if nothing arrives.

    The insurance is only for the seller to cover its losses, not you as a buyer!
    I didn't know that, thanks for the info!
    Current G's:
    GW-9200J-1 Riseman
    DW-004ASJ-8AT (stealthed)
    DW-9800 Wademan AR-3T ARTI
    DW-8800AJ ADMA's Full set of 5

    Wish List:

    G-7900 1ER - GW-7900B-1JF - GW-M5600BC -
    G-9000-8DVR Stormtrooper - GW-9100MB-1JF Gulfman - FTS-100 Forester



  6. #5
    Member bluegum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    brisbane, australia
    Posts
    5,160

    Re: Question about USPS international post

    Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    No need to worry about insurance for packages!

    You as a buyer is fully covered either by PayPal or your credit card/ issuer if nothing arrives.

    The insurance is only for the seller to cover its losses, not you as a buyer!

    If they send it un-insured (which most sellers do for lower priced items) then its their risk.

    I think there is a new rule on ebay where sellers are no longer allowed to mention or charge extra for insured shipment in auction listings. Its simply not something, a buyer should have to deal with.
    Ok then, what if you're buying a watch to someone here at WUS and they stipulate to needing insurance?

  7. #6
    Member tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    29,513

    Re: Question about USPS international post

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    Ok then, what if you're buying a watch to someone here at WUS and they stipulate to needing insurance?
    You mean selling to someone? I've never understood people asking for insurance. If the watch gets lost or damaged the onus is on the seller to refund whether it's insured or not. Insurance just means the seller has this cost 'covered'.

    The advantage of higher-cost postage for me is the ability to track and record delivery - even though that is not foolproof.

    Perhaps I'm missing something...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

  8. #7
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,850

    Re: Question about USPS international post

    I believe you are correct. In addition, the insurance offered specifically does not cover watches and jewlery or it has an upper limit of coverage that doesn't provide any real worth. The USPS will gladly take your money for the insurance, but if the time comes to submit a claim, you will be SOL. This is why so many US sellers limit sales to the US, not because we have xenophobia issues.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    729

    Re: Question about USPS international post

    Quote Originally Posted by nhoJ View Post
    I believe you are correct. In addition, the insurance offered specifically does not cover watches and jewlery or it has an upper limit of coverage that doesn't provide any real worth. The USPS will gladly take your money for the insurance, but if the time comes to submit a claim, you will be SOL. This is why so many US sellers limit sales to the US, not because we have xenophobia issues.
    I think you might be confused with UPS and FEDEX, they specifically no longer insure jewelry & watches. USPS does indeed cover jewelry and watches. With standard shipping up to $5K and with Registered up to $25K:
    http://www.usps.com/insurance/postoffice.htm

    I always use Registered for higher ticket items (luckily I haven't had a need to file a claim so far). However, my friend has and as you've cited, VERY painful process (took about 2 full months to recover funds).

    As a tip, if you use Registered mail, it'll slow the delivery process as the package requires additonal clearance for each person that handles it, so even if you use Priority Mail (normally 2-3 biz days), it can take 5-6 days for delivery within CONUS.

    I believe registered can be used w/international shipments (click on the link above and then on the Registered Mail link).

    Cheers,
    Tim

  10. #9
    Moderator DougFNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,141

    Re: Question about USPS international post

    What I tend to do on the higher end watches is insure them in my homeowners policy with a Jewelry rider, or in my case, they have their own policy which includes lost or stolen while shipping.
    Apple Watch Space Black Series 4 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000GD-1JF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman

    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega SeaMaster Pro Ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003
    Omega Seamaster Pro Bond Quartz 2221.80
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002

    Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701


    Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ



  11. #10
    Member Valaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Straits of Carquinez, CA, USA
    Posts
    999

    Re: Question about USPS international post

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    I was wondering whether a watch can be fully covered by insurance when sent via First-Class Mail International? I looked at their website it looks like no insurance is offered.

    Reason I ask is that most of the time, when I get watches from US online shops, they send via this level of shipping. I have never had anything get 'lost' via USPS in over 10 years to Australia, and amazingly, standard First-Class USPS here can arrive faster than it takes a parcel to arrive from Sydney.

    Worst case senario, how much can USPS First-Class Mail International be insured for, if at all? And if not, what's the next level of USPS parcel post which can be insured?
    No insurance or tracking at least, on 1st class int'l.
    One you get to Priority or Express can you buy tracking and insurance and the cost is significantly more. I don't think a parcel is trackable once it reaches the destination country, though.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •