Question about White G-shocks!
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Question about White G-shocks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about White G-shocks!

I've got a JCPenneys gift card to use, and figured I'd throw it at getting my first G to use as a daily college beater - wear it when I'm @ class, the gym, and so on. Out of all the few that fit my 6 inch wrist well, the GWM850-7 caught my attention the most. Thin, round, small, atomic, solar, large crisp digits, rally timer! But it only comes in white =(

I've look up some old threads around here, and read about how white Gs yellow over time, catch dye off of long sleeves, and just get stained/dirty over time. My question is this - is it usually the band that suffers the bulk of the discoloration? If so, would replacing the band with the black version be a good idea? (lol Panda 850!). Does the bezel also suffer the same fate or is it usually just the band?

If I had other watches to switch around with I probably wouldn't care, but this will be my only daily wearer for now.

Thanks!!

Re: Question about White G-shocks!

The GWM850 was originally produced in black (GWM850-1) for many years. Unfortunately, it was recently (last year I think) discontinued. Not sure if they will produce it once again. Some sellers took advantage of that and sky rocketed the price. But you can still find them used with more reasonable price.

The white version (GWM850-7) uses the exact same module and dial design as the black version. You can replace the resin bezel and band with black ones easily. But... it's much harder to replace the light button! You can see one has a silver button with italic "G", and the other has a more flat white button with bold "G". It will involved opening the watch, removing the module before able to get to the button.

Name:  gwm850-1_large.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  64.1 KBName:  gwm850-7_large.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  52.0 KB

Heres my white G its probably around 10 years old qand has taken some serious abuse and still looks good and white

The only bit of it that has aged is the keeper on the strap, no idea why that it but that bit has yellowed slightly so is now a different colour to the strap and the rest of the watch, but is an easy thing to swap out when I ever get round to ordering a new one, I dont have a photo of the keepr though so you will have to take my word for it lol
    nigelw likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzoline View Post
    I've got a JCPenneys gift card to use, and figured I'd throw it at getting my first G to use as a daily college beater - wear it when I'm @ class, the gym, and so on. Out of all the few that fit my 6 inch wrist well, the GWM850-7 caught my attention the most. Thin, round, small, atomic, solar, large crisp digits, rally timer! But it only comes in white =(

I've look up some old threads around here, and read about how white Gs yellow over time, catch dye off of long sleeves, and just get stained/dirty over time. My question is this - is it usually the band that suffers the bulk of the discoloration? If so, would replacing the band with the black version be a good idea? (lol Panda 850!). Does the bezel also suffer the same fate or is it usually just the band?

If I had other watches to switch around with I probably wouldn't care, but this will be my only daily wearer for now.

Thanks!!
    I have the black one, so I can't comment on white discoloration. It's a great little watch with a lot of nice features in the module. The main flaw is that the alarm beeper is quieter on this one than on most of my other G-Shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzoline View Post
    Welcome to Watchuseek!

While I don't own any all-white G-Shocks, I've read (and over the years, linked to) most of the threads here about "how to clean a white G-Shock." From those, it seems like the bezel and band will BOTH pick up dirt and stains over time, but the inside of the wrist is more likely to bump or rub against things: your body, chair arms, table tops, arm rests in cars, and so on. If you wear your watch normally, that means that the band is going to be bumping against more things than the bezel and will probably pick up more stains.

That's not to say that the bezel will remain unscathed, as the many "I scratched my bezel and/or crystal" threads in other forums prove, since the bezel is still going to accidentally contact things like door frames and the insides of sleeves -- but it's probably going to contact FEWER things over the years.

I'll vote for "if you like the watch, try it and see!" If the strap starts getting too dirty you can try cleaning it, OR replace it with a stock replacement strap for about $15, OR even read some of the many threads around here about using fabric dye on straps and bezels.

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated!

I'm on my way back there now! I've read more a lot more threads here about the topic, and am leaning against getting a white G as my first (and only) daily beater. But I'm taking your advice Mike K... going to try it on again and see! Also try on the other few I liked, compare/contrast, and leave there with something! They hated me @ the jewelry counter last night, probably won't be thrilled to see me again today lol.

I'll probably make another thread about what I chose, and then go back to lurking til more questions pop up!

PS - I've never kept a list of watches I plan to get... as of the last few days, I have a list! Summer break / work can't come soon enough!

my point of view would be - if its a daily wearer ie. you need to look at the thing every day, id go against a white or light colour unless youre completely ok with it becoming quite grubby in a short period of time. of course if it has the functions you need then colour is a distant second but im sure there are other models with these same functions. just a thought, but new incoming G regardless of what it is, is always a good thing (:
    HoosierTrooper likes this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by soulbridgemedia View Post
    my point of view would be - if its a daily wearer ie. you need to look at the thing every day, id go against a white or light colour unless youre completely ok with it becoming quite grubby in a short period of time. of course if it has the functions you need then colour is a distant second but im sure there are other models with these same functions. just a thought, but new incoming G regardless of what it is, is always a good thing (:
    I think the Mudman GW-9010 has a module similar to the GW-M850, but it's a bigger watch.

GW9010-1 - G-Shock - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.
    Watch_Geekmaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    I think the Mudman GW-9010 has a module similar to the GW-M850, but it's a bigger watch.
    That is correct. Same functions basically, but different display layouts. The GW9010's main time digits may be smaller than the GWM850's. Here's Mr. Yankeexpress' photo.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    The GW-M850 has the same module as the 9010 Mudman and is a way better G than the MTG

GaryK30 and Izzy_Does_It like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post

GW9010-1 - G-Shock - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.
    bigger by what? 1mm? lol
    from the pics theyre very close in size adn the 9000 series muddys are def. fine on smaller wrists.
    also the big ticks in favour of the mudman would be that its cheaper, more readily available and available in black ;)
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information