Question for all...Especially those age 45 and older!
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Question for all...Especially those age 45 and older!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question for all...Especially those age 45 and older!

Quick question. I recently purchased a GW-9300 Mudman for my father as part of a retirement present. He has always worn cheap $10 wall mart digitals, and I thought it would be nice to get him something a little nicer with solar/atomic capabilities and that can handle anything. My father is 6'2, 220 lbs and is 62 years of age. My question is: Do you think the smaller digits and busier layout of the gw9300 will be too difficult for him to see or read? I'm not even sure if he wears reading glasses to be honest, but I know that reading small print becomes an issue starting in your late 40's. The new mudman is also a really big, purpose driven watch, and I'm not sure if it's overkill for a man, who may do the occasional camping trip, but will mostly be taking it easy in retirement. I'm wondering if I would have been better off getting him something like a pathfinder 1300/1500 series with bigger digits and slightly smaller profile. What do you think? I'd really appreciate some feedback on this one. Especially those who are in that age bracket. Thanks..
    Dave I likes this.
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

LUW

Re: Question for all...Especially those age 45 and older!

Hard to say scooby, it really depends on how is his eye sight and his likes/dislikes. For instance, a negative display sucks if compared to a positive display in terms of readability, but most here don't care because it looks better. If he has good eyes, the 9300 should not be a problem, but maybe he rather have something that can be easier to read? Take a look at what he wears now, if it doesn't have big digits I think the 9300 will be ok. However, an all digital ProTrek will be a lot easier on the eyes without a doubt.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

I would go with the PAW-1300. It has very large clear digits, much bigger than either the Mudman or 1500 and has one of the best modules out there.

As you say it is also quite slim and easily fits under a shirt sleeve.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch100; May 15th, 2012 at 20:51.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, I think his eyesight is pretty good. I know the digital be wears now is pretty small and the digits aren't that big. I guess I was going for the cool rugged look. I've had the 1300/2000 pathy, and while awesome displays and great functions, they never excited me etc. I'm sure anything I go with will be quite a step up for him though.

TE=LUW;5041248]Hard to say scooby, it really depends on how is his eye sight and his likes/dislikes. For instance, a negative display sucks if compared to a positive display in terms of readability, but most here don't care because it looks better. If he has good eyes, the 9300 should not be a problem, but maybe he rather have something that can be easier to read? Take a look at what he wears now, if it doesn't have big digits I think the 9300 will be ok. However, an all digital ProTrek will be a lot easier on the eyes without a doubt.[/QUOTE]
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

A couple years ago I got my father his first (and only) G-shock, I think he was 67 at the time. Didn't want to go too crazy in looks, but I still wanted him to have a solid rugged watch. I found the GW-M850 fit the bill very nicely... somewhat conservative looking for a G, but comes with a great module. It looks great on him and he loves it ... wears it almost every day.

Most of us, by our mid 50s, are at least somewhat farsighted. Reading glasses become more of a necessity. Folks who previously used glasses only for distance often switch to bi-focals or "progressive lenses".

If he is wearing a small digital watch now, with relatively small numbers, the Muddie should not be an issue. I'm 56 and, quite obviously, I wear G-Shocks of all sizes all the time without any real issue. I will point out that most of the time I am wearing my glasses, with "progressive" lenses, so any watch dial works fine for me.

I have found, over the last couple of years, when I am not wearing my glasses (say at the gym or sometimes while running in the park), bigger digitals are more comfortable. (I could not use my G-7700 to time my workouts; that watch has particularly small digits and it just didn't work for me.)

If you have doubts about his vision, what kind of glasses he wears, or if he does not wear glasses regularly, there is no doubt, that the Pathfinder would be easier for him to see.....
    Last edited by Kronos; May 15th, 2012 at 21:21. Reason: added text

As others have said depends on his eyesight. Surely you must know if he wears reading glasses or not.
    Iam 66yrs young and use reading glasses. However I do not need them to see my GW 4000 and Protrek 1500.
    It would be the proverbial pain in the a... If you would have to keep putting reading glasses on just to see the time.
    The above models I have, the dials are just perfect for me, with or without my reading specs.

I'm in that age bracket and I happen to own the GW-9300-1JF and a Paw2000 among others and of the two i do like the Paw2000 better just because of the bigger digits. I do use reading glasses and I can read the Paw2000 at a glance with out them. I don't use most of the features of either, so it's really about the digits and I really love solar/atomic.
    Last edited by Rufus; May 15th, 2012 at 21:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I'm in that age bracket and I happen to own the GW-9300-1JF and a Paw2000 among others and of the two i do like the Paw2000 better just because of the bigger digits. I do use reading glasses and I can read the Paw2000 at a glance with out them. I don't use most of the features of either, so it's really about the digits and I really love solar/atomic.
    Wow, thanks guys, that really helps out a lot. I may end up with the paw2000 or1500 then. NIB GW9300 will go back then so pm me if anybody needs one. Thanks again guys!
    C

If his eyesight is really bad I recommend GW-5600J or GW-300 but if your father can read small digits on those walmart watches then any G will be a good match. Also it's easier to tell the time from analog watch.
    Have a great day!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information