A question for any Brit atomic users...

Thread: A question for any Brit atomic users...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A question for any Brit atomic users...

Have you ever synced to the Mainflingen transmitter instead of the Rugby one?

I was amused to notice that for the last couple of days that my AWG-101 has been showing the wee indicator next to the 'GE77.5' mark rather than its normal 'UK60' one, telling me that rather than syncing to the Rugby transmitter (~330 miles from me here in Aberdeen) it has connected with the Maiflingen transmitter in Germany (~670 miles from me).

While it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever in the working of my watch, it was something I would never really have expected to see while I am here, and was wandering if anyone else has had it happen too?

If it makes any difference or is of interest to anyone, the watch normally syncs reliably, with only a few missed days that usually have obvious causes (being elsewhere that night or laeving the watch somewhere silly and RF unfriendly). The first night it connnected to Germany I was camping just outside of Aberdeen, the second was at home like normal.

Re: A question for any Brit atomic users...

Yep, i've synced with the atomic clock in Maiflingen numerous of times, especially on my GW-9000 Mudman.

I've experienced the opposite. I live only 60 miles away from the Mainflingen transmitter, but my GW-810BD picked up the UK signal three or four times so far. I wonder how that's possible. Does the watch "look for" the UK frequency first, and when it is able to sync, it stops trying to receive the German signal?

Best regards
    Jan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    I've experienced the opposite. I live only 60 miles away from the Mainflingen transmitter, but my GW-810BD picked up the UK signal three or four times so far. I wonder how that's possible. Does the watch "look for" the UK frequency first, and when it is able to sync, it stops trying to receive the German signal?

Best regards
    Jan
    +1 I live only 30 km from the Mainflingen signal and my Gulfman synced with the UK several times. I guess my other Gs sync with the UK as well, but they just don't show with which signal they synced
    Cheers,
    Micha

I always assumed that the watch just cycled through all the frequencies and picked the strongest to sync from - so obviously the UK and JP signals are too weak, and it will pick the stronger of the two available. I guess the weather at the moment must favour the signal bouncing over from Germany rather then Rugby...

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Yep, i've synced with the atomic clock in Maiflingen numerous of times, especially on my GW-9000 Mudman.
    Me too.

My Mudman syncs with Germany regularly. IIRC within Europe the Casios try to sync with whatever transmitter worked successfully last time, then switch to the other if they don't succeed. If they get neither then they wait an hour and repeat the same process. I find this means that if the watch switches from UK to Germany then it tends to stay there for a few days or longer before switching back.

I also have a Citizen atomic which only does Germany, it has no trouble syncing in England, but I have found that in the west of Ireland I have to put it by the window to sync.

Luke

Not a Brit but one of their neighbours - never picked up the German signal from Ireland.

I must be in one of the absolute best syncing locations though...every night, every watch, without fail, where ever I leave them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coler View Post
    Not a Brit but one of their neighbours - never picked up the German signal from Ireland.

I must be in one of the absolute best syncing locations though...every night, every watch, without fail, where ever I leave them.
    plus 1

Banned

Here's a funny story. My Casios have all synced with Germany while I stay in Germany. But my Seiko SBPG001 has recently stepped out of line. Not only did it sync with England but it also showed one hour later! This happened yesterday night. The night before it synced with Germany (I believe but am not 100% sure) and also showed an hour later. DST is set. Hometime is set to Berlin. When I re-sync manually it picks the German emitter and the time is correct again. Strange, no? Any ideas how this could happen?

Till

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information