Question for Giez owners

Thread: Question for Giez owners

Question Question for Giez owners

I'm very interested in the Giez GS-1000, and would like to know if this watch has the ability to switch (from main dial to sub dial) the 'world time' and 'home time' as some, or all Oceanus appear to be able to do.

IIRC the Oceanus can swap the times between sub and main dial just by pressing the two left hand sided buttons simultaneously. The reason this could be useful to me is explained in detail below...

I really like the design of these watches but one major frustration is that Casio designed them (correct me if wrong) not to be able to pick up the atomic signal when the 'home city' is set to Sydney (or any other city 'outside' atomic clock range). The reason this is annoying is that we in fact get the Japanese atomic signal here in Aus regularly, despite being over 7,000km away!!!

Normally, if I want the Giez to be atomic here, I have to move the time calibration 1 hour ahead (ie to 1 pm position as Sydney time is 1 hour ahead of Tokyo) and then set the home city as 'Tokyo'...this of course stuffs up the rest of the world times by an hour (world time is also useful to me having relies OS). This is what I did to the blue Casio Exec WVQ600DCA-2AV that I got my dad for his 80th recently...it works really well as an atomic watch now because this model, unlike the Giez, doesn't have non-Japan or US 'home settings' and thus has no way of turning its atomic reception ability off; it kept resetting Aus time to Tokyo time almost every night (I had to come up with this solution despite 'advice' from Casio help).

I was thinking that if I can swap the 'home' and world' dials with ease, then I can set the 'home' setting to Tokyo time when I go to bed every so often, get the recalibration, then switch the 'home' back to Sydney when I wake up. This way, I can avoid having to recalibrate the watch one hour ahead, and have it work as an atomic watch.
    Hehe...not bad for a mind-bending first post eh?

SBS

Re: Question for Giez owners

Yes, with one push of the button the main display will switch with the dual time sub dial. You can see it in action here.

Re: Question for Giez owners

Thanks SBS...nifty vid.

You wouldn't happen to know which button/s activate this time swap, I wasn't been able to find it in the online manual?

Finally found it in the manual (FYI it's actually press A then D, not A + C simultaneously as in the Oceanus).
    Last edited by bluegum; August 26th, 2007 at 04:15.

Thread Information