Question: GPS time synch 10 seconds fast GPW-1000 - Page 3
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Question: GPS time synch 10 seconds fast GPW-1000

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Question: GPS time synch 10 seconds fast GPW-1000

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    Do you really think Casio would provide GPS sync capability on their watches if it could be 10 or 20 seconds off????! No.

I have had a large number of Casio GPS watches. Mostly GPW-1000s, but also an MT-G, two GPS Rangers, and currently an MR-G. They have always been spot-on with the correct time after a sync. Without fail. If there are in fact discrepancies in a GPS satellite's time reference signal, clearly it is compensating for that somehow. This is not hypothetical. It's based on my own experience.
    @Time4Playnow, thank you for saying this, because this is how I thought I "knew" it too. That kind of accuracy would be very reassuring to me and I would really like that.

However, since at least 2x most senior members of this forum made unchallenged claims about the inaccuracy of GPS, I remain confused. Everyone, please forgive me.
    Last edited by WES51; 1 Week Ago at 22:26.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WES51 View Post
    @Time4Playnow, thank you for saying this, because this is how I thought I "knew" it too. That kind of accuracy would be very reassuring to me and I would really like that.

However, since at least 2x most senior members of this forum made unchallenged claims about the inaccuracy of GPS, I remain confused. Everyone, please forgive me.

Wes, I think perhaps the difference is that others may have been referring to how GPS tech works on the satellite with respect to time syncing. I honestly have no idea of those details. All I can tell you is what I have seen firsthand from my own watches.

I have owned at least 6 GPW-1000s, 2 GPS MT-Gs, 2 GPS Rangers, and an MR-G. 11+ watches that always gave correct time syncs via GPS.

Ask for their own experiences with Casio GPS watches. Not about how the satellite supposedly works or apparent sync deficiencies with GPS technology.
    WES51 and memento_mori like this.
    Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GMW-B5000TCM-1, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000V-1, GMW-B5000G-1, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GW-B5600BC-1B, GXW-56BB-1JF, GXW-56-1BJF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

I have a Oceanus with this movement in it coming in a few days. It looks to be a wonderful movement

That said I am not surprised that there is a bit of deviation with GPS time over the atomic clock time. GPS is a great system but it still can develop a issue or two. Perhaps there was a space anomaly that cause the time issue? or the watch pinged an aging satellite with a time drift? My Citizen with the F150 movement sometimes was off from the computer clock. It always corrects itself a day or so down the line.

I like GPS and atomic watches simply because I don't have to set them or adjust them. The atomic ones sit in a corner that gets good light and gets the signal. In return I don't have to fool with daylights savings time or date changes. On my GPS watch, I simply had to switch the mode to or from SMT

I am not too concerned with a watch being off a few seconds a month. Nothing I do in life needs split second accuracy.
    judg69 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I really like my atomic/solar mb-6 watches, because for all practical purposes, they are (to me) the maximum of a user friendly fool-proof design (for those of us mostly in one general location and receiving the radio signal). As I get on in years the less futzing around the better!, judg69
    memento_mori, casey70 and kenls like this.
    Life is short. Enjoy the ride!

Great info in this thread gents, my sole GPS G-Shock has always be in sync with “internet” time so the lesson for me has been never take anything on blind faith. Understand how things work.
    WES51 likes this.
    I be a living timepiece, the years showing on my face and felt in my bones.

Just happened on this thread and will throw this out there. I have a Casio RC watch that synced last night, and I just verified is dead on with time.gov time. I also just ran the GPS Status app on my Android phone which displays the time, and it matches my watch precisely. I can't say it's synced to within milliseconds, but visually it clicks seconds right in sync with my watch and time.gov. So either GPS is adjusted to match UTC or the GPS Status app is doing that somehow. Also, I have the ClockSync app on my phone which shows both the time.gov synced time and my phone time, and my phone is off by about .3 sec, which is visually quite noticeable, so the GPS Status app is not using my phone time. I don't know what the answer is here, but based on these observations it seems questionable that GPS time is off by 10-19 seconds.

Edit: I may have found the answer to my observation. On this web page it says: https://confluence.qps.nl/qinsy/9.0/...-32245263.html

"The GPS navigation message includes the difference between GPS time and UTC. As of January 2017, GPS time is 18 seconds ahead of UTC because of the leap second added to UTC December 31, 2016. Receivers subtract this offset from GPS time to calculate UTC and specific timezone values."

So, it's likely that the GPS Status app is correcting its displayed time by the embedded offset and some GPS watches may not be.
    Last edited by casey70; 1 Week Ago at 03:20.

I’m not familiar with this particular model but had other GPS watches before. If there’s nothing wrong with hand alignment, then have you considered the possibility of wrong leap second setting? Maybe it does not set to the full 37 leap seconds so far? I don’t know how to set on this model so maybe look for any reference of leap second in the manual and check setting?

Question: GPS time synch 10 seconds fast GPW-1000

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    I’m not familiar with this particular model but had other GPS watches before. If there’s nothing wrong with hand alignment, then have you considered the possibility of wrong leap second setting? Maybe it does not set to the full 37 leap seconds so far? I don’t know how to set on this model so maybe look for any reference of leap second in the manual and check setting?
    For more context, I had a citizen satellite wave model, that I need to set the leap second setting by moving the hand second by second to point to the 37 mark (between number 7 and 8), otherwise even after syncing to gps, it’s not exactly accurate. So I’d imagine if yours has similar setting and is set to not 37, it might be a few seconds off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information