WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

a question for the GW-A1000(any model) owners :-)

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Mattias 
#1 ·
Hello, my fellow watch crowd :)

When you use the stopwatch or the timer, as I understand, the main three hands move to indicate the measurement...so, my quandary is the following: can you, WHILE performing these functions, press the mode button and go to timekeeping mode?...in order to track the time, while the timer or the stopwatch is 'in the background' so to speak (as like on any digital model)?..and then you press mode to go back and the hands again indicate the stopwatch/timer measurement?

#5 ·
THANKS for the replies gents :)

So, then definitely, when you change the mode back to timekeeping, the hands adjust themselves for the time, and when you go back to STW or TR, orient to measure elapsed time or countdown...that is trully smart :) ...then again, any watch that 'sleeps' at night must be smart :D

hmm, wait a minute, GShockMe, in the Timekeeping Mode, the lower right button (beneath the crown) is for instant UTC time (as much as the upper is for Thermo-Sensor) is it not?...you would have to change back to Stopwatch Mode and then flyback, right?

#6 ·
Milos, yes, it has to be in the stop watch mode to activate the fly back. Too bad, you will still have to wait for all hands to resume their previous positions before the fly back can be used.

BenL, it depends on which GIEZ. I hate the GS1100 module. I have to wait forever to set things. And I have to recall the manual to use it. The GS1300 setting is faster because it uses sub dial. And easier to guess.

This GWA1000 is a lot faster due to independent hand movement. Setting is easier to guess because you just go to the mode and rotate the crown out. All setting is through the crown. Only trick to remember is to use the left button to switch between the minute and hour hand selection for the crown alarm setting.

#7 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

You cleared it all up for me...now I only have to wait and see if I'll be getting one of the two new ones (ones with bracelsts and skeletonised hands) or one of the already available models :D

Since WatchTanaka didn't show it in any of his vids (and man are they something - THANKS to Watch Tanaka :D ) am I correct in asuming that when in Timekeeping mode the lower button is for UTC?...the upper one is for the temperature, that he demonstrates ;-)

#8 · (Edited)
In time keeping mode, the lower right is for checking atomic status (second hand moves to y or n). If hold, it will do manual receiving.

Only in the world time mode that holding the lower right button will change the city time to UTC.

Disclaimer: I just playing with my watch to answer this. :)

Please verify it with the manual (module 5240)
Timepieces - Manuals - Support - CASIO

#14 ·
As the boys bove have said, a flyback chronograph is of use when you require instant stoping/reseting/restarting of the time measurement, without having to press 2 different buttons 3 times, you only press 1...but that was pretty neatly explained already ;-)

What I know as far as actual use/origin goes, it was developed for navigational purposes, both nautical and aero-nautical.
Suppose you're running a predefined course with numerous waypoints, you either know or you are in the process of establishing, the exact time each sector between the waypoints requires time-wise, with your ship/plane and the speed you have set.
So you start the stopwatch at the first waypoint and at the moment you reach the second, you call out (or write down) the time and instantly restart with the flyback so you can time the second sector...stopping, reseting and then restarting would false your measurement 'cause you would start the measurement 'some time' after you have actually passed the waypoint, and that's something you never want when you navigate ;-)

I stand by to be corrected by someone more knowlegeable if I'm talking b... but I'm pretty certain I told it like it is :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.