Question from a mechanical watch collector

Thread: Question from a mechanical watch collector

Question from a mechanical watch collector

Hi Guys,
    I have been looking thru this forum for the last week and decided to take a plunge and buy my first non-mechanical GW9100-1 just bec i think it looks cool :)
    Are the japanese models in anyway superior to the US models?
    Alsu feel free to recommend some of your favorites.
    Thanx

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Question from a mechanical watch collector

Quote Originally Posted by davudvl View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I have been looking thru this forum for the last week and decided to take a plunge and buy my first non-mechanical GW9100-1 just bec i think it looks cool :)
    Are the japanese models in anyway superior to the US models?
    Alsu feel free to recommend some of your favorites.
    Thanx
    hi,

there are no US models, all g-shocks are made either in japan, thailand, china or somewhere else in asia.

some of my personal favorites:

G-2300/2310
    G-2800
    G-800BD
    G-9000

regards, holger

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    hi,

there are no US models, all g-shocks are made either in japan, thailand, china or somewhere else in asia.

some of my personal favorites:

G-2300/2310
    G-2800
    G-800BD
    G-9000

regards, holger
    Thanx for the response.
    I meant "buying" from uSA or from Japan. If its the same model. is buying from Japan preferable? Also are the g shocks that are made in Japan better than the ones made in China or Thailand?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Thanx for the response.
    I meant "buying" from uSA or from Japan. If its the same model. is buying from Japan preferable?
    hi,

not preferable IMO but sometimes necessary, if you are looking for a specific model which might not be available in your country.

Also are the g shocks that are made in Japan better than the ones made in China or Thailand?
    we recently discussed this issue and the resulst were, that there are no quality differences, regardless were the watches were made. however, it might be a pure coincidence but I encountered that my watches which are made in thailand tend to fog inside the crystal in cold winter days. thats nothing to worry about, in that case I open the watch, take out the module and put it on top of a heater for a few minutes. after reassembling that fog will never occur again. I can only presume, that the humidity in thailand is sometimes so high, that a small amount of water is enclosed in the watch during the assembling, which condensates later in cold enviroments when the watch is warm from your body heat. but like I said, it might only be a pure coincidence....

regards, holger

cal.45 is correct - there are no quality differences between Casio's various manufacturing plants.

Some collectors prefer Japan models, but it's of no consequence to most of us.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Also are the g shocks that are made in Japan better than the ones made in China or Thailand?
    Hi davudvl,

There is no difference in quality. Most of the Japan model G-shocks actually state Japan on the caseback instead of 'made in Japan'.

So is Japan=made in Japan? Not many people actually care. G-shocks are tough regardless of where they are made.

Previously there was a debate regarding the a/m that ended with no absolute conclusion. Casio might have realized this and this may be the reason why they started adding the 'made in ...' in some of their G-shocks.

cheers~
    SKy
    Last edited by skyhook; September 17th, 2007 at 17:01.

Thank you all for the replies.

Thread Information