Question for mods and other old-timers
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Question for mods and other old-timers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question for mods and other old-timers

How did you get to where you are? I look at some of your history and wow, 10k posts?! (Ahem, Mr. Sedi) How do you get there? I look at the forums every day and while there are new posts, most look boring or are about a watch I'm not really interested in, and I've only owned about 3 g-shocks so I can't really comment much with my small amount of knowledge. I want to get more involved but don't know how other than asking questions!

Re: Question for mods and other old-timers

Old Timers?! Ha-ha, I am sure they would beg to differ.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Its called addiction....

Some on this forum,posting a lot. Some on the forum posting less. Me,i am not a frequent poster. But learn a lot from the frequent posters. We all contribute to the community.. The more or the less.

Hail to those who are more addicted!
    stratg5, Rocat, edwing206 and 5 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I do not post that much, I think. I mostly just read the forums (or I must get tickled very bad ) What Jasabor wrote is very true. When we started 10½ years ago, I did probably knew less than 10% about G-Shocks then what I know now. Most of what I know I have to thanks to people who contribute to this forum. A simple answer, but true. Don't stare too much to post numbers. The real value is the content of your posts

Cheers,

Sjors
    Last edited by Sjors; January 28th, 2014 at 17:33.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

There are a lot of topics like the WRUW series or the Official-Count / Report-Here ones where it is very easy to "score" loads of posts, if that is your thing.

I'm just here to be happy about my G-Shocks!
    stratg5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    I do not post that much, I think. I mostly just read the forums (or I must get tickled very bad ) What Jasabor wrote is very true. When we started 10½ years ago, I did probably knew less than 10% about G-Shocks then what I know now. Most of what I know I have to thanks to people who contribute to this forum. A simple answer, but true. Don't stare too much to post numbers. The real value is the content of your posts

Cheers,

Sjors
    What Sjors said is true for me as well.

I was a G-Shock fan (and a bit of a watch freak generally) when I stumbled on this forum six or seven years ago. I had amassed a bunch of G-Shocks; I had found a number of international sources for watches that were cool but could not be found here (Dolphin & Whale, etc.) I had been a customer of the original G-Factory store in SoHo. However, the vast majority of what I know about Casio and G-Shock watches, I learned on this forum -- and there remain many people here (both "older" and newer members) who know far more than I do.

People here are very generous about sharing their knowledge and information; not only about G-Shocks but about other watches as well.
    nigelw, edwing206, Chrisek and 3 others like this.

I completely agree with Sjors:

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Most of what I know I have to thanks to people who contribute to this forum. A simple answer, but true. Don't stare too much to post numbers. The real value is the content of your posts
    From other forums, I'm a huge believer in "quality, not quantity."

"Post count' is only an accurate snapshot of how often people post and participate, not whether or not they know what they're talking about! As mentioned, there are a lot of people who have racked up a lot of posts from daily "WRUW?" threads and "what do you think of this watch/this look/this model/this color?" threads.

Over the last two years or so, I'd say that 10% of my posts have been questions and less than 10 "WRUW?" pictures, 15% opinions (which I usually try to stay away from), and 75% answers (AND LINKS!) to frequently over-asked questions about parts, adapters, and custom dying -- answers which I learned by hanging around here and reading a lot!

I'm also believer in quality over quantity, large posts number won't do you any good if you don't post usefull info or atleast learn from other posts.

Regarding OP question... if you don't post, you can't get your post number up. If that's what you want

At first you get your post count up by asking questions and compliments other peoples watches. After a while your post count rises because you post usefull info and advices.

Just don't generalize large posts number = knowledge and the other way around, it's often not the case.
    stratg5 likes this.

All good replies. I am jealous of everyones knowledge! I just wish there were more daily posts, I always have free time at work and I frequently check the forum and there aren't enough to keep me busy! How does one become a moderator and what is involved with that? In the future that may be something I would like to pursue

Quote Originally Posted by stratg5 View Post
    I am jealous of everyones knowledge! I just wish there were more daily posts, I always have free time at work and I frequently check the forum and there aren't enough to keep me busy!
    I was in a similar situation when I first joined! You can learn even more by diversifying and reading other sub-forums that interest you, such as Affordable Watches, Dive Watches, or Straps and Bracelets -- but that can potentially get even more expensive than "just" hanging out here.

Quote Originally Posted by stratg5 View Post
    How does one become a moderator and what is involved with that? In the future that may be something I would like to pursue
    While I can't speak for this forum, on other forums I frequent the answer is usually a combination of "hang around for a while," "be reasonably active" (which lets the existing moderators get to know you), "don't be an obnoxious jerk," and then "volunteer for a generally thankless job with no pay and potentially long hours."

Forum moderation is usually a labor of love, when people enjoy their forum(s) enough to want to give back to the online community.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information