Question on Riseman pressure readings

Thread: Question on Riseman pressure readings

Question on Riseman pressure readings

I've read through the archives, but I still need some clarification. I know that the altitude is dependent on the pressure, and that any pressure changes directly affect the altimeter. Do any changes in altitude directly affect pressure readings? I would assume it would, but I'm no expert. I do know that my Riseman is very accurate with pressure readings at a constant altitude, but when traveling across a distance by car the pressure readings vary depending on considerable altitude changes. I don't calibrate the altitude very often. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    AUSTIN

GW9200-1 Riseman
    GW9000A-1 Mudman
    GW5600J-1
    GW700BDJ

Re: Question on Riseman pressure readings

Quote Originally Posted by Austin1983 View Post
    I've read through the archives, but I still need some clarification. I know that the altitude is dependent on the pressure, and that any pressure changes directly affect the altimeter. Do any changes in altitude directly affect pressure readings? I would assume it would, but I'm no expert. I do know that my Riseman is very accurate with pressure readings at a constant altitude, but when traveling across a distance by car the pressure readings vary depending on considerable altitude changes. I don't calibrate the altitude very often. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Generally, the rule of thumb is: the higher the altitude, the lower the barometric pressure. Sometimes the pressure happens to be more or less constant, such as when higher altitudes have fairer weather and lower altitudes have worse weather conditions.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; August 28th, 2009 at 19:54.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

I'm sure others will chime in here, but the altimeter on the Riseman uses the barometric pressure to measure the altitude. Thus if the the pressure drops quickly when a storm comes in, the altimeter will show that your elevation has increased.

For this reason the altimeter should be calibrated to a known source just before you start to rely on it, bearing in mind that if the barometric pressure changes dramatically while you're using the altimeter, your altimeter reading could be off.

I've also found that getting into a car and cranking up the air conditioning can cause significant changes in my alti/baro readings on the riseman.

Despite these, its still a cool feature, and a great looking watch!

Enjoy.

Tom Scott
    The current lineup:
    (ICERC Froggy incoming),GW-2500BD, MTG-1000, GW-M5600, GW-9200 Riseman, GW-9010 Mudman, G-9000MC Mudman, G-9101K Gulfman
    Citizen Skyhawk AT, Seiko Orange Monster
    Seiko 6139-6019 (Circa 1972, Belonged to my Grandfather) Omega Constellation (Circa 1967)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsHighland View Post
    I've also found that getting into a car and cranking up the air conditioning can cause significant changes in my alti/baro readings on the riseman.
    As you can see in the Riseman's manual (Q&A section), the watch uses both pressure and temperature to calculate the altitude.

Apart from quick changes in temperature due to air condition I've also noticed that simply commuting ~25km to/from work affects the barometric readings considerably since the two cities in question have altitude differences of about 60m.

When travelling longer distances, I've also witnessed major changes in the barometer. But that's also not surprising as the weather was quite different along the ride.

Both the barometer and altimeter are working best when remaining mostly stationary or moving slowly, i.e. hiking.

Thread Information