Question on square anatomy
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Question on square anatomy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question on square anatomy

Well, I've convinced myself I need a G Shock square as a beater. I want something I can wear when I don't want to worry about damaging my nicer watch when doing things like cycling or mountain biking. I have a nice Citizen that's plenty tough for a daily driver (titanium, sapphire crystal, etc) but at $500 it's too expensive for me to wear when doing things that might mess it up.

I want solar, I want atomic time, I want something thin and small and light - I want a square G Shock. I'm looking at the standard GWM5610-1 - all the features I want at a good price. I like the look of the 'stealth' square better tho, because the screen is just black/white/grey - no red line, blue text, etc. But the stealth version is ~50% more expensive...and it's not going to be a watch I wear all that often, so I can't decide if I care enough to spend the extra ~$45 or so.

Thanks to this forum I know you can swap parts around, and I generally like messing with stuff, so I'm hoping I can get a standard 5610 and change out the display...but I'm not sure what the part I need is called. Browsing PacParts, am I looking for the Case/Center Assembly? Or do I need the Glass? Is there anywhere else to get the part(s) I need? TikTox doesn't seem to have them...unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

If it's the case I need, it looks like they're expensive enough I might as well just buy the stealth version. And it doesn't look like they have any glass in stock in any of the models.

Thanks for any advice!

Since every thread is better with pics, here's my daily driver Citizen ::

And here's an example of why I won't wear it while doing potentially rowdy activities (note the road rash on top of my hand and wrist). This was only ~3 miles into a 56 mile race I had been preparing for all summer...turning off of a dirt road onto a paved road at about 20mph, still in a big group, I was watching all the riders around me and not paying attention to precisely where my front tire was going, and I hit some gravel on top of the asphalt. Front tire washed out, I went down, luckily I didn't take anyone else out with me. Mostly cosmetic damage to the bike thankfully, it picked up some additional patina and the only thing needing replacement was the derailleur hanger. But my knee took 13 stitches to close back up, and I was off the bike for several weeks, and all the fitness I had worked so hard to build over the summer was gone haha.

Re: Question on square anatomy

I can’t help with the mod questions but nice to see a fellow cyclist on the forum. I had an eternal loss of skin on my left knee all last summer from 3 different crashes. BTW I wear a GW-5000HR-1JF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by radoncdoc; June 1st, 2019 at 14:04.

I think from what I've heard, swapping glass on a solar might be the challaging part, but I've not done it.

You can however go to pacparts.com and do a model search for 5610's in the model search box and shop for the parts.

Another option if you want to stealth up the bezel yourself is to just strip the paint lettering. I did it on this watch:

Which reminds me, don't forget the G-Lide models of squares. They're also solar/MB6.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Andy-S View Post
    I think from what I've heard, swapping glass on a solar might be the challaging part, but I've not done it.

You can however go to pacparts.com and do a model search for 5610's in the model search box and shop for the parts.

Another option if you want to stealth up the bezel yourself is to just strip the paint lettering. I did it on this watch:

Which reminds me, don't forget the G-Lide models of squares. They're also solar/MB6.
    I want to get rid of color on the screen itself tho, not the bezel. The red line, and blue lettering. I want the colorless display in the background...but I'd prefer positive display. I should just pony up and buy the stealth version. Or just deal with the red line LOL. Had I not seen the stealth version the red line wouldn't bother me anyways haha.

I think what you’re looking for is the one on the left,

Name:  7F0C7525-5D39-4F9D-A2B7-26B15E4720A6.jpeg
Views: 39
Size:  2.62 MB

it was achieved by buying the negative and positive versions and swapping the modules. You could always sell on the resulting negative display and recoup some of the outlay.
    Facelessman likes this.
    Ken

Casio G-Shock
    GW-4000D. GWG-1000. GG-1000. GW-M5610-1ER (x2). DW-5600BBN.
    MTG-S1000V. GW-9400-1CR. GW-9400 x2). G-9300. GW-5000.
    GMW-B5000. DW-5600HRGRZ. GW-B5600HR. (Hydro’d watches)

Casio Pro-Trek
    PRW-6600Y-1ER

You could get a standard positive display5610 and

Option A: Do crystal swap. You will need to order crystal and adhesive tape. I personally never do crystal swap on solar g before but there are members who did this and documented in custom square thread here
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/cu...l#post47503667

Option B: You order case center of 5610 model variation that you like and transplant module into the new case. This is a little more expensive but easier way. If I were you I might go down this route

Hope this helps
    kenls likes this.

Alternatively, you could always opt for the GW5K as mentioned by radoncdoc earlier...

Name:  B1658D83-9CB8-4751-8642-A28E33E4F5C7.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  692.7 KB
    Facelessman likes this.
    Ken

Casio G-Shock
    GW-4000D. GWG-1000. GG-1000. GW-M5610-1ER (x2). DW-5600BBN.
    MTG-S1000V. GW-9400-1CR. GW-9400 x2). G-9300. GW-5000.
    GMW-B5000. DW-5600HRGRZ. GW-B5600HR. (Hydro’d watches)

Casio Pro-Trek
    PRW-6600Y-1ER

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I want to get rid of color on the screen itself tho, not the bezel. The red line, and blue lettering. I want the colorless display in the background...but I'd prefer positive display. I should just pony up and buy the stealth version. Or just deal with the red line LOL. Had I not seen the stealth version the red line wouldn't bother me anyways haha.

Understood, just trying to save part of the expense if you decide to mod.

Quote Originally Posted by kenls View Post
    Alternatively, you could always opt for the GW5K as mentioned by radoncdoc earlier...

Name:  B1658D83-9CB8-4751-8642-A28E33E4F5C7.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  692.7 KB
    That's exactly what I want. But at 2.5x the cost...I'll deal with the red line haha.

I ordered the standard model, I'll see if I can find a case in stock anywhere and swap it over....

Also, it is indeed the 'case center' that I need. Here's one...but it's too spendy for me. https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?sku=91087202225

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    That's exactly what I want. But at 2.5x the cost...I'll deal with the red line haha.

I ordered the standard model, I'll see if I can find a case in stock anywhere and swap it over....

Also, it is indeed the 'case center' that I need. Here's one...but it's too spendy for me. https://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?sku=91087202225
    Might be easier to get gw-5000 if you want a screwback. Case size also different from 5610 variation
    Last edited by Facelessman; June 1st, 2019 at 15:12.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information