Questions about the frogman...

Thread: Questions about the frogman...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions about the frogman...

Hi all,

Newbie to the Casio forum...

- I wanted to know what makes the frogman so expensive? It has similar functions to most other Casio watches (tough solar, timers, alarms,...), but the price is 3 to 4 times as much. Why?? What am I missing?

- I heard and read about a new frogman being in the pipeline and it was presented at Baselworld 2009. That one should have the Multiband 6 as well. Does anyone know the reference number, price and/or when it will be available. I can't seem to find anything about them except some pictures...

- Most if not all G-shocks watches are water resistant to 200 m. Why are they not all suitable for diving? That is special about the water resistance of the frogman, that makes it more of a dive watch, as compared to, say, the mudman?

- Can you push the buttons of the frogman and mudman under water?

All comments are welcome! :thanks

bjorn

Re: Questions about the frogman...

and i have to add another question:

do you think the frogman is worth the price? i hope this question wasnt asked before...

regards
    gerry
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

Quote Originally Posted by bjorn View Post
    Hi all,

Newbie to the Casio forum...

- I wanted to know what makes the frogman so expensive? It has similar functions to most other Casio watches (tough solar, timers, alarms,...), but the price is 3 to 4 times as much. Why?? What am I missing?

- I heard and read about a new frogman being in the pipeline and it was presented at Baselworld 2009. That one should have the Multiband 6 as well. Does anyone know the reference number, price and/or when it will be available. I can't seem to find anything about them except some pictures...

- Most if not all G-shocks watches are water resistant to 200 m. Why are they not all suitable for diving? That is special about the water resistance of the frogman, that makes it more of a dive watch, as compared to, say, the mudman?

- Can you push the buttons of the frogman and mudman under water?

All comments are welcome! :thanks

bjorn
    Hi and welcome,

The Frogman is usually made in limited numbers and therefore appeals to collectors hence the price difference
    There is supposed to be a new Frogman being released, this forum will be the first with any news, pics e.t.c. so watch this space!
    The Frogman was designed as a dive watch and is ISO tested to 200m whereas most other G shocks are not, the Frogman also has a screw on back rather than held on with screws which gives it greater water resisitance.
    You can press the buttons on Frogman and Mudman underwater no probs.

Hope this helps
    Real men don't need instructions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

AFAIK, part of the answer about diving suitability is that water resistance for watches requires only a *sample* to be tested; production tolerances mean that some watches will be better than others when it comes to being water resistant to a particular depth. They are also tested only to the ISO 2281 standard, which is not particularly demanding - it may be that a particular example of the watch, when tested, resisted water ingress at 200m, but will *your* example resist water ingress when taken diving many times over?

Whereas proper "diving watches" are tested to the more rigorous ISO6425 standard - and I read somewhere that *every* watch has to pass the tests (nnot 100% sure about that, though). 6425 includes a number of tests to check a watch's abilities to cope with the rougher treatment that it would be subjected to as a salt-water diving watch, as well as having certain minimum standards for useability.

The 2281 standards do not provide any guarantee that a watch is suitable for diving with; the 6425 standards do. And there might be a situation while you're diving when you have to rely on your watch absolutely; having something that isn't guaranteed to work is tantamount to taking something down with you that you know might fail, just when you need it most.

The Frogman is the only G-shock watch tested to meet the ISO6425 standards of a diving watch. Whether Casio are charging more because they can, or because the watch has to be tested and checked more thoroughly, or because it's better built than G-Shocks not built or tested to that standard I don't know.

Thanks for the reply.

In your opinion, for swimming and snorkelling, the mudman (gw9010 or something similar) should cover it as well right?

Any idea why these watches (newer mudmen and all frogmen) are impossible to find in Belgium? Only the g9000 is sometimes seen in the stores and it costs 125 euro!!

Bjorn

Quote Originally Posted by fonklover View Post
    and i have to add another question:

do you think the frogman is worth the price? i hope this question wasnt asked before...

regards
    gerry
    i havent seen the question on here before but i will say

THE FROGMAN IS DEFINATELY NOT WORTH THE PRICE

Quote Originally Posted by bjorn View Post

This one's easy. It's because the Frogman is at least 3 to 4 times as cool as other G Shocks...

Just to add to the above a big part in the elevated pricing is the demand! Obviously if no one purchased it the prices would come down but as you can see even used models retain if not increase in value! And they're super kool looking you gotta admit!!! If you search there are dozens of threads asking this question!

Thank you all for the replies... I think I will try to get a Mudman 9010 (price here is 209 euro )
    They seem to have a nice reputation.

Bjorn

As has been suggested above, there have been a few lengthy threads on the subject of Frogman pricing.

A search should find them.

(but the answer is 'yes and no' )
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information