Questions about my new watch and charging
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Questions about my new watch and charging

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions about my new watch and charging

Hey everybody, new member here, lots of good information.

I bought one of these about a month ago, and I absolutely love it, I love the look of it, the functions, the digital display. I've gotten a ton of good comments from people already. A lot of bang for the buck. Only $130.

My question is how come my battery seems to go to low so often? I leave it out in direct sunlight once a week for about 6 hours. It says 5 mins of sun = 1 day of charge so shouldn't mine be charged fully? Also, can it charge under a full spectrum lamp?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

This is where I got it.
    Casio Men's GW2310FB-1CR G-Shock Shock Resistant Multi-Function Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Re: Questions about my new watch and charging

maybe you let the Auto Light on all the time ????

it does charge with ambient light, it just takes much, much longer. If the watch is on low, it will take almost a whole day of being out in direct sunlight to go from low to high. I am not sure I would recommend leaving outside so long since it gets real hot. However, to go from low to medium it should only take 2 hours of direct sunlight. Check your manual, it will tell you exactly how long it takes to go from level to level in different types of light for your module.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The information about 5 minutes of direct sunlight per day= a full charge is only true if the watch is already fully charged. Basically what it means is that you can use the watch normally with about 20 seconds of EL use per day and that will use as much power as the solar cell can recharge in 5 minutes. To go from low to fully charged can take up to 50 hours of sun light. It is not recommended to charge in direct sunlight for several hours as that will gradually degrade the display and make it fuzzy over time. Just using the watch normally with ambient light from indoor lights and outside in the sun plus charge it from the window should be enough to keep it healthy.
    StephenWatch likes this.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Quote Originally Posted by Fer Guzman View Post
    I am not sure I would recommend leaving outside so long since it gets real hot.
    Whatever happened to "put the watch in a clear glass container full of water" to keep it from getting too hot and/or making the entire display turn black (for positive displays)?

A few months ago several people were saying "hey, GREAT idea!" and now nobody ever seems to mention it.

I did this with a couple of new solars in the middle of summer and while I didn't take a thermometer to the water, it never got hot enough to be uncomfortable while fishing the watches out with my fingers. (It felt like comfortable water in a bathtub -- yes, it's hot, but not excessively so, and that was with a smallish 16 oz/half liter container.)

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    It is not recommended to charge in direct sunlight for several hours as that will gradually degrade the display and make it fuzzy over time.
    What exactly causes the display to degrade? The sun's rays somehow bleaching the display, or excessive heat? If it's heat, using water as a "heat sink" would seem to solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Whatever happened to "put the watch in a clear glass container full of water" to keep it from getting too hot and/or making the entire display turn black (for positive displays)?

A few months ago several people were saying "hey, GREAT idea!" and now nobody ever seems to mention it.

I did this with a couple of new solars in the middle of summer and while I didn't take a thermometer to the water, it never got hot enough to be uncomfortable while fishing the watches out with my fingers. (It felt like comfortable water in a bathtub -- yes, it's hot, but not excessively so, and that was with a smallish 16 oz/half liter container.)

What exactly causes the display to degrade? The sun's rays somehow bleaching the display, or excessive heat? If it's heat, using water as a "heat sink" would seem to solve the problem.
    It is a combination of heat (that will make the crystal fluid to swell and then shrink again when cooled down, gradually loosening the vacuum seal between the LCD and polarization filter). And excessive voltage from the battery when it gets over charged.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    It is a combination of heat (that will make the crystal fluid to swell and then shrink again when cooled down, gradually loosening the vacuum seal between the LCD and polarization filter). And excessive voltage from the battery when it gets over charged.
    According to this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ove...-465463-2.html,

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlazE View Post
    No. TOUGH SOLAR watches are equipped with an overcharge prevention function that prevents problems caused by excessive exposure to light.

source: TOUGH SOLAR Mini-Guide - Watches - Products - CASIO
    Unfortunately, that link seems to be dead now, but quite a few people read/responded to that thread back in 2010 -- I'll keep poking around the Casio site for that mini-guide, but there aren't any mentions of "overcharging" in their current "Tough Solar" FAQ's.

This is probably what you're looking for Mike
    TOUGH SOLAR Mini-Guide - Watches - Products - CASIO

Quote Originally Posted by Saber-toothed Squirrel View Post
    This is probably what you're looking for Mike
    TOUGH SOLAR Mini-Guide - Watches - Products - CASIO
    Many thanks, Saber-toothed Squirrel! I tried the Wayback Machine myself but must have copy/pasted something wrong along the way.

The over charge protector is only specified to work in the temperature range of -10 Celsius to +60 Celsius. If the temperature gets out of that range it does not work properly and the display can get gradually damaged under such conditions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information