Questions for G-Shock aficionados

Thread: Questions for G-Shock aficionados

Question Questions for G-Shock aficionados

Hello everyone,I noticed my DW-9052 has plastic buttons. Does this make the watch mud-resistant like a G-9000? Also, is a G-9000 bezel truly mud-resistant with the gaps around the crystal and case back? In other words is this more about marketing than functionality? I ask because my DW5600e, DW6900, and DW9052 have had no issues with sand and mud or oil thus far.

Re: Questions for G-Shock aficionados

I don't think the DW-9052 is mud resistant, however I agree with you that the "mud resist" thing is more biased to marketing than functionality as most Gs can stand getting exposed to mud same as the mudman series .

It's not what you'd call fraudulent. Basically mud-resist G-Shocks have a membrane built into the bezel which covers over the buttons and does a good job of keeping sand & dust from getting behind the buttons and down into the button stems where it can cause premature wear of the stems and O-ring gaskets. G-Shocks have double O-ring button gaskets so they're pretty resistant and resiliant without the dirt/mud/dust covers.

The main problem that Mud resist G's have is that wet mud tends to hydraulic itself in between the case and bezel and get stuck there because it's basically a thick liquid which packs itself into the tiny gap, expands the gap and then dries out and stays stuck there forever unless you remove the bezel and wash it all out.
    I almost never wear any watch other than a G-Shock. My collection is listed here-->http://watchshock.com/collection/1471/

Other watches: Invicta Sub-Aqua Venom 5733 & Coalition Forces 0225, Suunto Vector, Traser Mil-G Type 6 P6600 Celebration Edition, Luminox 3059.SAR and a few cheap Timex & Armitron

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

My dads 5600E he used at work in a car workshop for years got its buttons struck in dirt.
    Oils and fine dust piled up at the button stems and blocked them after some years.
    I had to remove the bezel several times and use hot water and cleaning agents to soften up the stuff and scrub it away.

I dont know if the Mudman would take longer to get struck since i dont have the proof over the same time in the same environment.
    But i think the most dirt came in around the button itself.

Anyhow, since i my case cleaning fixed the watch every time, i dont see much real need for Mudmans.
    Bought several of them, though.....

Thanks for the responses everyone. So, the DW-9052 is not considered a "Mudman" even with the plastic pushers fitting snugly inside the bezel, and the regular G-Shocks hold up quite well without the bezel overlapping the pushers. This is a very help forum!

Quote Originally Posted by t minus View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone. So, the DW-9052 is not considered a "Mudman" even with the plastic pushers fitting snugly inside the bezel, and the regular G-Shocks hold up quite well without the bezel overlapping the pushers. This is a very help forum!

Some 'mud-protection' designated models keep the mud off the innards better than others, but there's no G-shock produced yet which will protect your watch from mud entering its smallest orifices.

I like and enjoy both, the 'Mud' models seem to attract a little more attention due to their cool-looking bezels sporting over-sized rugged build, but resin-covered metal pushers call for trouble long term. The force exerted on them over time weakens the resin membrane which eventually gives up and breaks. It happened to me a lot on older Gs and not so much on the newer ones, but the physics is just that and cannot be fooled.

That said, I love my Real Black 8400 Mudman to bits

Quote Originally Posted by babola View Post
    Some 'mud-protection' designated models keep the mud off the innards better than others, but there's no G-shock produced yet which will protect your watch from mud entering its smallest orifices.

I like and enjoy both, the 'Mud' models seem to attract a little more attention due to their cool-looking bezels sporting over-sized rugged build, but resin-covered metal pushers call for trouble long term. The force exerted on them over time weakens the resin membrane which eventually gives up and breaks. It happened to me a lot on older Gs and not so much on the newer ones, but the physics is just that and cannot be fooled.

That said, I love my Real Black 8400 Mudman to bits
    Yes, I was concerned about the resin breaking down on my G9000. So far so good, it looks to be holding up ok. The metal buttons on my DW5600/6900 should last a long time. I guess simple is best long-term speaking.

Thread Information