Questions from a newbie! G9000 or G9100
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Questions from a newbie! G9000 or G9100

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions from a newbie! G9000 or G9100

Hi!

I posted here about a week ago asking about white G-Shocks as daily beater/gym watch. I decided against going with a white one, for now.

After spending TOO much time at the jewelry display counter @ JCP, I ended up leaving with a G9000 Mudman! It had nifty features but the one that really caught my eye was the progress beeper + flash alert combo. And boy have I made use of it over the week!

The watch fits great! I'm good with the buttons, got the hang of them quick and haven't been a bother. It's not uncomfortable, but I have noticed redness on my wrist where a couple of the textured bumps sit. They don't hurt, and the bumps do tend to remind me that the watch is there when there's some excessive wrist motion. It is making me consider returning/exchanging it =P

I'm thinking of maybe a G9100, mostly cus it also has a 24 hour timer with progress beeper/flash alert =P They carry it online, but not in store so I can't try it on or play with it beforehand =( Does it wear similarly to the Mudman? On paper they have similar dimensions. Is the display as crisp, and have similar contrast as the G9000? Are the time, day, and date digit size the same size?

Or am I better off keeping the Mudman and maybe filing / smoothing out the 2 troublesome bumps? =P

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: Questions from a newbie! G9000 or G9100

hmm...
    The G-9100 is notorious for its original strap that have some flexivity waves beside the lug that dig into many peoples wrist.
    Try a search here, the topic was discussed lenghtly.

The LCD numbers have almost the same smallish size like on the 9000.
    For larger numbers check the solar-atomic GW-91XX.

I did upgrade my 9100s with the GW-9200s strap which is better shaped to avoid digging into the wrist.
    Later atomic-solar Gulfmen came with the 9200 strap from factory....

HoosierTrooper and Guzzoline like this.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

And because you asked the collectors:
    Keep the mudman and buy the Gulfman, too! :D

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The G9000 was by far the most comfortable watch with the best module I've tried. The bumps are great as one has a stable fit without pulling the strap so tight as it is needed with all other G's. It is also nice and small, on the product shots it looks huge, but in real life it doesn't wear much bigger than a square.
    (Unfotunately I've no use whatsoever for such a rugged and sporty looking watch, perhaps when I get older, thinner and less vain...)

None of the other Mudman watches came close to that minimalist perfection. (If they would only make a new solar atomic Mudman that is otherwise identical to the G9000)
    Guzzoline likes this.

I love that bezel swap, d2mac. I think if the regular Gulfman came with a metal inner bezel stock, I probably wouldn't even be asking and just gone straight for it =P

Quote Originally Posted by sdog View Post
    The G9000 was by far the most comfortable watch with the best module I've tried. The bumps are great as one has a stable fit without pulling the strap so tight as it is needed with all other G's. It is also nice and small, on the product shots it looks huge, but in real life it doesn't wear much bigger than a square.
    (Unfotunately I've no use whatsoever for such a rugged and sporty looking watch, perhaps when I get older, thinner and less vain...)

None of the other Mudman watches came close to that minimalist perfection. (If they would only make a new solar atomic Mudman that is otherwise identical to the G9000)
    True - I tried a few other Gs on, and had to go up to the 2nd hole on them. The Mudman was one of a couple where the 4th hole gave me a nice snug fit, and not tight at all. Also love how it fits under most long sleeves I've tried since getting it.

I did have another question, about the Mudman this time... I get that water can get under the bezel quite easily. I'm assuming in normal Gs that it would probably drain out around the button/pusher area. For the Mudman, does the water just end up sitting in button cover areas or does it find some other way to drain out?

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzoline View Post
    I did have another question, about the Mudman this time... I get that water can get under the bezel quite easily. I'm assuming in normal Gs that it would probably drain out around the button/pusher area. For the Mudman, does the water just end up sitting in button cover areas or does it find some other way to drain out?
    I cannot say from personal experience since I wore it only for a few minutes in the store. However, there were lots of reports of water squishing under the buttons. I think this is a major drawback and fear it is perhaps not the most hygienic watch. Perhaps better as a mud watch than a swim watch.

By the way there were plenty reports about buttons being difficult to press due to the resin covers. These reports must either have been for an older model or from very old people who lost their hand strength already.

gulfman 9100 as shown in d2mac is the black sheep in the whole masters of G

it wears small and doesn't have solar-atomic

I got a few, tried to love them, but eventually gave all away - try to get the solar one, the look/display is way better

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    gulfman 9100 as shown in d2mac is the black sheep in the whole masters of G

it wears small and doesn't have solar-atomic

I got a few, tried to love them, but eventually gave all away - try to get the solar one, the look/display is way better
    Yeah, I'm only considering a standard G9100 for a couple reasons! First, I've using a gift card for JCP I got for my bday - so I'm limited to their stock and they only have that standard Gulfman. Second, after using a timer with progress beeper I've made it a feature that I def want - at least for my first G! =P That limits me to 3 watches they carry... G9000, G9100, and GWM850-7. But I'm staying away from white as my first and only beater watch, and they only have the 850 in white - so G9000 or G9100 it is!

I may wear the Mudman a few more days and see if the redness goes away. Also noticed some thinning hair on my arm where the watch sits, gonna see how that pans out. Maybe a Gulfman might have to do in the end anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzoline View Post
    Water gets under most G-Shock bezels, since the bezel just "sits" above the watch case. With most other models, it can drain out from the back OR from the button/pusher area -- because of the button covers on the Mudman it can only drain out the back.

We're also only talking about a drop or two of water in total, spread out underneath the bezel, so depending on conditions, some or quite a bit will also just evaporate. Which leads to:

I cannot say from personal experience since I wore it only for a few minutes in the store. However, there were lots of reports of water squishing under the buttons. I think this is a major drawback and fear it is perhaps not the most hygienic watch. Perhaps better as a mud watch than a swim watch.
    If you read any of the threads around here about "gunk" that accumulates under G-Shock bezels and in the crevices around the springbars, you'll quickly realize that the same thing happens with MOST G-Shocks, not just the Mudman line. Because the bezels are removable, all sorts of substances find their way into the area behind the bezel but don't always find their way back out: water, sweat, salt, dirt, soap, dead skin cells, and anything else the watch is exposed to. Here are a few threads on the subject: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...utf-8&oe=utf-8

By the way there were plenty reports about buttons being difficult to press due to the resin covers. These reports must either have been for an older model or from very old people who lost their hand strength already.
    Ha ha. There aren't many octogenarians hanging around this forum -- yet! Those reports are (mostly) about the G- and GW-9000 models -- the -9300 versions use a slightly different design.

The buttons aren't so much difficult to press as they are "MORE DIFFICULT than all of the other models without button covers," which is just simple physics. The shafts of the button pushers on most models are all pressing against (more or less) identical metal tabs inside the watch, so there's not much difference there. When you put a Mudman button cover over the button, it becomes MORE difficult to press than if the cover wasn't there.

Different G-Shocks with different button designs can be difficult to press for people with different sized fingers. Older models with tiny buttons (like the DW-5600) can be hard to operate for people with big fingers, models with large plastic buttons like the G(W)-2300 and G(W)-7900 lines are fairly easy for everyone to reach. Because of the size and oval shape of the "shroud" around the buttons on the G(W)-500 and MTG-900 lines, I can see how they could be difficult to reach for people with larger fingertips, and the older Mudmen have a similar round shape partially blocking the buttons PLUS the thin resin cover over them as well.
    sdog and Guzzoline like this.

sorry that I forgot the JPC gift card, I haven't been back to the US for a while so I don't know what they have at the store, how about a G6900 or the solar mudman 9010 ?

ok, just looked at the website, here are what I like: GW-6900, GD350, and squares

and then the 2310, and the 9052 line would also be much preferred than the three Gshocks you asked
    Last edited by G-fob; March 6th, 2016 at 07:22.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information