Radio Controlled sync‘s effect on CDT, STW

Thread: Radio Controlled sync‘s effect on CDT, STW

Radio Controlled sync‘s effect on CDT, STW

Hello, I searched for relevant threads and couldn‘t find any answers. My question for you fellow G Shockers is whether anyone knows if the “Atomic“ sync will adjust the rate of timing for functions other than standard timekeeping? for example, my gw 9000 muddy (which gains a couple seconds a week with no sync) has a 1000 hour STW, if i left it running for weeks, would its rate be adjusted during the sync or just keep running fast? Thanks for any info you can share.
    Jer

"I'm hip about time"

Re: Radio Controlled sync‘s effect on CDT, STW

jer_,
    The way I understand it is that atomic time signals simply give the correct time at that point.

The watch time is set to the time of the signal. The accuracy of the watch is from the crystal oscillator which is pre-set.
    Here is a thread about adjusting the oscillator:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...ock-83153.html

So if you watch gains 5 seconds a week, then it will continue to do so (temperature and other variables notwithstanding), the atomic signal will reset the time upon receiving signal, in effect cancelling out the time gained (in this case 5 seconds per week).

So to your original question, if your watch gained 5 seconds a week and you left the 1000 hour chrono running for a week, it would be over the actual measured time by 5 seconds.

Just for interest, some more good reading here:

Atomic Sync Signal - G-Shock Wiki | casio watch resources

regards,
    George
    Last edited by George01161; December 19th, 2012 at 04:02. Reason: semantics

lvt

As far as I understand the timekeeping, stopwatch and countdown are independent functions, you simply use the current time for a starting point, once the STW and CDT started running their accuracy will vary and won't remain in sync with the timekeeping function anymore, you probably won't see the difference with a 24 hours STW / CDT but if you let all the functions run for 1000 hours or so you might be able to see the variations.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I know that atomic reception is disabled when the countdown timer is working, not sure if the same is true for stopwatch. Additionally, my module, 3159, only receives if the watch is in time mode or world time. That being said, even if it did receive while in stopwatch, I doubt it would correct your stopwatch. time.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Fer Guzman View Post
    I know that atomic reception is disabled when the countdown timer is working, not sure if the same is true for stopwatch. Additionally, my module, 3159, only receives if the watch is in time mode or world time. That being said, even if it did receive while in stopwatch, I doubt it would correct your stopwatch. time.

It's strange, the watch can't sync while the CDT is running but you still can set the time and date :D
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Thanks for all the replies and info guys, It's too bad the rate itself isn't adjusted based on repeated syncs, Id pay more for a module that would be smart like that. I also find it strange that I can adjust the time with the CDT running, but the watch can't. I believe all of my atomics can receive while the STW is running.

I'd think that the STW and CDT circuits have to be independent from the time circuit...imagine the scenario where the watch is fast by 10 minutes and the STW has been running for 10 minutes also, in this case do you think the STW time should be reduced by 10 minutes after the atomic sync? I think not...

lvt

Of course they are independent functions, that's why you can start, stop and reset the STW / CDT on the fly.

Thread Information