Radio Signal Receiving when Being Worn

Thread: Radio Signal Receiving when Being Worn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Radio Signal Receiving when Being Worn

I am a bit fanatical about having the time accurate to the exact second. I usually set my watch to GPS or ntp-synced server time, and I am thinking about buying a radio-controlled watch.

However, I've got used to wearing my watch (I mean one watch) all the time, even while sleeping.
    I heard, that radio controlled watches have to be put somewhere to the window facing the transmitter (Mainpflingen, in my case).
    Then, at night, I am either sleeping, or walking, whether outside or inside, sitting at the desk or just anything. And I just don't want to take it off.

Having to sit at the window at the certain time (even without moving) or having to remember to launch the manual reception in certain situations (e.g. when outside) is something I'm afraid of. That would be almost as boring as setting the watch to the correct time manually.

Anybody out there with a radio controlled watch wearing it all the time? Is it like that, or is it like receiving the signal anytime without that you need to care specially about it?

Re: Radio Signal Receiving when Being Worn

Greetings:

Great question!

For about 2 months my MT-G 910-DA was constantly on my wrist, except of course when I was in surgery. Great watch. I too am a bit anal about having the correct time on my watch so the radio sync feature was appreciated.

The 910 time synced at 0100, 0200, 0300, 0400 and 0500 daily. In addition, it could be manually synced outside those times.

The watch would not automatically sync when I was in the medical center building or my office in an adjacent clinic. Steel structure and overhead IT systems prevented any intrusion by a radio signal from the outside. Strangely, cell phones and an internal wireless phone system worked just fine.

At home, while wearing the watch sleeping, I never had any problem with it syncing overnight. Our master bedroom has a SE exposure, three vertical windows and a skylight. My home is a three story brick structure. We have had wireless internet installed but it hasn't interfered with my watch receiving a time sync signal. I can wear my 910 to bed or leave it on my dresser in an adjacent room and it always syncs.

Try experimenting where your watch syncs. And if it doesn't sync overnight you can always manually trigger a time sync.

Hope that this helps.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

Picture Re: Radio Signal Receiving when Being Worn

Hi Madman1,

Welcome to the forum;

I too like to have my watch to the exact correct second;
    I own many Atomic G-shocks, and have done many tests to get the right "sync"; going by the book did'nt work for me; the signal is at such a low frequency, it will bounce around, at any location; someone had stated on this forum a while back that their kid worn his G-shock to bed and sync every time; I keep mine in a Metal case in my bedroom, 3ft from a window, & all sync every time(watches set to "auto sync"). Just have to find the best location where you live. Hope this helps. Again welcome.

Brad
    Brad
    Have a great day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a few atomic G-Shocks. All but one of them are very finicky, as to where they must be positioned, in order to update their time. My GW-5600 does much better at getting signals. I am able to wear it to bed and still have the time updated every night. That's a BIG thumbs up for the GW-5600!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brad15470

Brad
    Hi Brad:

What a great storage case! What brand? Seeing your storage case causes me to consider getting a Pelican case to store my collection.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

Quote Originally Posted by madman01
    I am a bit fanatical about having the time accurate to the exact second. I usually set my watch to GPS or ntp-synced server time, and I am thinking about buying a radio-controlled watch.

However, I've got used to wearing my watch (I mean one watch) all the time, even while sleeping.
    I heard, that radio controlled watches have to be put somewhere to the window facing the transmitter (Mainpflingen, in my case).
    Then, at night, I am either sleeping, or walking, whether outside or inside, sitting at the desk or just anything. And I just don't want to take it off.

Having to sit at the window at the certain time (even without moving) or having to remember to launch the manual reception in certain situations (e.g. when outside) is something I'm afraid of. That would be almost as boring as setting the watch to the correct time manually.

Anybody out there with a radio controlled watch wearing it all the time? Is it like that, or is it like receiving the signal anytime without that you need to care specially about it?
    Grüezi from Switzerland.

I have two Casio Radio Controlleds, a Citizen Radio Controlled and a Seiko Radio Controlled. All synch perfectly with Mainflingen from Zürich every night whether I'm wearing them or not. You don't have to be particularly close to a window in my experience.

YMMV
    /Forrest

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

@ madman01

since you specifically mentioned mainflingen, may I ask where do you live?

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Picture Re: Radio Signal Receiving when Being Worn

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan
    Hi Brad:

What a great storage case! What brand? Seeing your storage case causes me to consider getting a Pelican case to store my collection.
    Hi Mike,

Purchased the case at a Local hardware store (Lowes), for about $25USD; sorry lost the papers for it, not sure about the brand; it was located in the tool section of the store; nice case, can be arranged to the way you like it. has a cool fold away compartment for tools,straps,etc.

Brad
    Brad
    Have a great day.

I have a DEAD ZONE in my home !! nothing a receive in one corner ! I mean nothing and we never have figured out WHY .... My DAD built this house 45yrs ago and is long gone !! he never could figure it out either !!! But I take my watch off at night I have to ware carpel tunel braces ! I set it on my dresser and it syncs right up every night ! my others are living in a window facing west Iam IN S E MIchigan and they never have a problem receiving either !

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan
    Greetings:

<snip>
    The 910 time synced at 0100, 0200, 0300, 0400 and 0500 daily. In addition, it could be manually synced outside those times.
    <snip>
    At home, while wearing the watch sleeping, I never had any problem with it syncing overnight. Our master bedroom has a SE exposure, three vertical windows and a skylight. My home is a three story brick structure. We have had wireless internet installed but it hasn't interfered with my watch receiving a time sync signal. I can wear my 910 to bed or leave it on my dresser in an adjacent room and it always syncs.

Try experimenting where your watch syncs. And if it doesn't sync overnight you can always manually trigger a time sync.

Hope that this helps.
    FWIW, I don't think the watch actually sycs at 0100, 0200, 0300, 0400, and 0500. I think it "attempts" to sync at each time, and the first time it succeeds, it's done until the next night. At least that's what I think my manual said...I could be wrong. :-D

As for manual syncs, I've tried doing a manual sync while actually wearing the watch, and I've never succeeded. Apparently, it needs to be very still to complete.

I suppose it varies by watch, proximity to transmitting station, location and position of watch in house, weather, etc. As for my GW-500, it resides in a glass-topped watch case on the top of my dresser, about 6 feet from a north wall and about 30 feet from a west wall, with a couple of walls in between. As for where I live, it's about 800-900 air miles ESE of Boulder, CO, well within range. The watch manual said to be "sure" to set it up a certain way facing an open window in the general direction of the transmitter. Mine is well outside those specifications, but it's never failed to sync, regardless of weather or atmospheric conditions, as long as it's *motionless*.

Anyway, hope this helps...cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information