Rangeman - LCD display fading at certain angles
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Rangeman - LCD display fading at certain angles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rangeman - LCD display fading at certain angles

I did a search and saw there's some other posts discussing it on other G-Shocks. I can't tell if it's just the angle, lighting or I'm on crack! If I look straight on at the watch there's some "ghosting" of the digits. If I tilt the watch away from me about 10-20 degs they get more crisp. Tilting further forward (toward me) they begin to fade more. It's not unreadable just a slight fading. I'll try to take some pictures later.

Anyone else notice this on the Rangeman or is it just me? There's a part of me that thinks (maybe hopes) that it's the polarization and it's designed that way since you usually don't look straight on at a watch just by the mechanics of how you tilt your wrist. (Like how I explained away that problem??)

I know you guys have a ton of experience with these things. What are your thoughts?

Re: Rangeman - LCD display fading at certain angles

I believe it's suppose to be that way. All my frogman watches do the same thing and at first i was worried too.

Hopefully its because when its on your wrist and you glance at the time, the watch is at an angle.

I don't see anything like that at all on mine, straight on or at an angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Are you left handed? Looking at my own Casio watches, they seem to best viewed slightly from the left -- in other words, when worn on the left wrist. I think they angle the polarization slightly that way to please most customers.
    Ottovonn and Subafan like this.

In my experience, ghosting in G-shocks tends to occur when they are viewed from the right. The intensity of the ghosting varies, however, depending on the model.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

All my G's tend to blur when viewed directly at the crystal (90°). If you tilt them slightly, they all get sharper on the digits but based on my experience the solar models create more blur, probably because of the additional reflection the solar panel creates. Ghosting is normally not a big issue, but the GD-350-8 I had, was extremely annoying in that regard and clearly the worst I have seen to date.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Man, you guys are good. Thanks! You're absolutely right about the left angle and tilt versus right. I'm right handed but wear my watch my watch on my right hand. I thought you guys we're crazy when you said it but it's definitely more pronounced on the right wrist than the left. Thanks very much guys for the help guys, I thought I was losing my mind.
    WES51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    All my G's tend to blur when viewed directly at the crystal (90°). If you tilt them slightly, they all get sharper on the digits but based on my experience the solar models create more blur, probably because of the additional reflection the solar panel creates. Ghosting is normally not a big issue, but the GD-350-8 I had, was extremely annoying in that regard and clearly the worst I have seen to date.

cheers
    I've noticed this on both of my positive LCD Rangeman watches too. When I look directly straight at the LCD and rotate my wrist southwards towards me, I notice that there's some fading and ghosting on the LCD panel. But when I rotate my wrist northwards away from me, the LCD display becomes more crisp and clearer. What causes this? Have others in here who own the Rangeman with the positive LCD display notice this?

Wow! How many posting did you read before reaching 2014 thread. It's amazing, after 1166 days, this thread was again revived.
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

It because the light comes at the display from the rear and the layers it travels through refracts the light through the display, therefore tilting the watch display counters the refracted light and produces a clearer picture. The display is designed to be looked at from the front, the light entering from the layers behind causes a refraction of the light. The tilt corrects the refraction hence viewing at an off centre position makes the display clearer.

Depending on where the LED is located the light refraction will be different on each model and the angle you hold the watch to gain a sharper clearer display will also be different.

in simple terms light travels from A to B following a path of least time or the quickest route a straight line. Travelling through an slower medium (through the rear of the LCD to the front) slows and bends the light for it to appear in a different place. Hence the refraction and the fact that you have to tilt to counter it.

Sound has a similar habit too.

Snells Law and Fermat's principle apply.
    Last edited by Scratchesaddcharacter; June 21st, 2017 at 23:02.
    hoss likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information