Rangeman to Mudmaster- both icons
Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By Fivesense
  • 2 Post By bigswifty1
  • 1 Post By bigswifty1

Thread: Rangeman to Mudmaster- both icons

Rangeman to Mudmaster- both icons

I've had a Rangeman for a little more than a year. I've always had my eye on the Mudmaster but chose not to justify the price because of the outstanding range of features of the, well, Rangeman.

But in talking with a friend who's daily wear is a Mudmaster recently, I realized just how much I appreciate an analog face (the watch, not his). So fueled by a glass or three of brown liquid, I pulled the trigger on a Mudmaster one night last week.

As you know, it's not that one is greater than the other. They are just different. I have enough gadgets that require charging, and my watch is not something I desire to plug in to have the ABC features- or tell the time.

In wearing my new Mudmaster, I have a few observations. 1) I can confirm that I do in fact prefer reading an analog face for the time, as well as compass direction. The analog hands are much easier to read in variable lighting conditions. 2) I do like the robust form factor of the Mudmaster on my wrist. 3) I like my Rangeman even more than I thought I did; not more than the Mudmaster, but at least equally as much, albeit differently.

In terms of overall raw functionality, it's hard to say which watch is "better." It really comes down to a couple simple questions. Does one prefer analog or digital? What features does one need most readily at hand, with the fewest pushes of a button or pulling of a crown?

I don't know if I'll sell, or give my Rangeman to family member or friend. It's not so much smaller than a Mudmaster that it will be specifically relegated to certain duties like projects that require me digging my hands in between parts of an engine or furnace. That said, I appreciate having two of the best ABC watches Casio has ever created.

*a perhaps inconsequential observation- I was able to get the Mudmaster to receive a time calibration signal mid-afternoon, something that my Rangeman has only ever been able to achieve after midnight. Could have been a random atmospheric anomaly, but noted nonetheless.

Name:  RangeMaster.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  3.13 MB
    Last edited by Fivesense; 5 Hours Ago at 22:47.
    GaryK30, bigswifty1, kenls and 5 others like this.

Re: Rangeman to Mudmaster- both icons

Very interesting thoughts, thank you!

I have both these watches too, and like them both. For sheer functions and bang for buck, the Rangeman is tough to beat IMO. Like you, I find the at-a-glance analog dial of the Muddy to be very very good. The best of any watch that I own, and I wear it often for this reason. Plus I just like it :) Otherwise I think the Muddy is a pest to use for anything other than seeing the time. The LCD is pretty useless for me, and I don't care for the smart crown much. If I am doing something where I would actually be using the functions, I seem to pick up my Rangeman in preference to the Muddy every time.

But love them both.
    Mike
    JustAbe and Fivesense like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswifty1 View Post
    Very interesting thoughts, thank you!

I have both these watches too, and like them both. For sheer functions and bang for buck, the Rangeman is tough to beat IMO. Like you, I find the at-a-glance analog dial of the Muddy to be very very good. The best of any watch that I own, and I wear it often for this reason. Plus I just like it :) Otherwise I think the Muddy is a pest to use for anything other than seeing the time. The LCD is pretty useless for me, and I don't care for the smart crown much. If I am doing something where I would actually be using the functions, I seem to pick up my Rangeman in preference to the Muddy every time.

But love them both.
    Mike
    I agree, Mike.

The test for me will come when I travel across a few time zones. I have a nice Citizen Navihawk AT (atomic and solar) which is really nice looking and certainly looks more like a "business watch," but I really do prefer the easy functionality of an ABC Casio, especially when traveling. The Nighthawk is a PIA to access all the features (even changing the time), more challenging than the Mudmaster.

For everyday functions I use most frequently, I'm pretty pleased with the Mudmaster. Time at a glance reading is awesome, compass is one touch of the (C) button. The altimeter is only off by 10 feet (I'm sure that can vary but I can deal with that). My smartphone can do all this, but I like not having to use it all the time.

And even when I have to wear business attire, I'd just as soon be wearing a Casio. I don't much concern myself with whether or not a watch is supposed to fit the attire vs. my desire, and the Mudmaster is more of a conversation starter than a tie anyway.

If I'm out in the woods or hiking and require true ABC features, I've got other devices I'd use if I needed the best and most accurate. Even still, I trust either the Mudmaster or Rangeman if I need basics- TABC (Time, Altitude, Barometer & Compass). Horse for courses.
    Last edited by Fivesense; 5 Hours Ago at 23:03.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fivesense View Post
    If I'm out in the woods or hiking and require true ABC features, I've got other devices I'd use if I needed the best and most accurate.
    I'm very interested to hear what those other devices would be, since that is a lot of what I do.
    Mike
    Fivesense likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswifty1 View Post
    I'm very interested to hear what those other devices would be, since that is a lot of what I do.
    Mike
    If I'm in an area with cell reception, my iPhone has a lot of the info I need/want. If I'm outside of cell reception, I use a good ol' fashioned compass, perhaps co-equipped with a thermometer. If there's no cell reception but I want connectivity- to let loved ones know where I am, and for extra safety and security- I take my Garmin inReach Explorer + (connected, or not, to my iPhone, which helps for map viewing and messaging). The Explorer has a lot of great features and is somehow old school high tech.

I also always have my GKFW devices with me- gun, knives, food, water. :)
    Last edited by Fivesense; 39 Minutes Ago at 04:01.

Thread Information