Rangeman Operation Questions: Altitude ascent and descent and The Eye (GW-9400)
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jmathis
  • 2 Post By babola

Thread: Rangeman Operation Questions: Altitude ascent and descent and The Eye (GW-9400)

Rangeman Operation Questions: Altitude ascent and descent and The Eye (GW-9400)

Hello Rangemen!

Rangeman Altimeter mode:
    1) Does-- or how does-- the Rangeman GW-9400 track your altitude during a hike?
    2) How do you start and stop the collection of altitude data that goes into the cumulative ascent, decent, max altitude, and min altitude?
    3) Do you have to stay in the Altimeter mode for this data to store to the "REC" mode?
    I'm used to the Riseman (GW-9200) having a start/stop timer within the Altimeter mode and when the count-up timer within Altimeter is in-progress, then the letters "REC" flash at about 1-sec interval on the display in all modes ... so I'm curious how the Rangeman Altimeter functions-- or doesn't?-- when you exit the Rangeman Altimeter mode.

The Eye of the Rangeman:
    1) What different information can/does The Eye display when in normal time-keeping mode?
    I understand that The Eye typically displays the progress of seconds.
    2) I have read that if a stop watch is running, then The Eye has a region near the center that "spins" quickly in a clockwise direction-- Is this correct?
    3) Might The Eye spin anti-clockwise (still in normal time-keeping mode screen) if a count-down timer is in-progress?
    4) Does The Eye display unique information (still in normal time-keeping mode screen) if the Altimeter is in-progress? (this may be a non-question since I'm not sure how or when the Altimeter is considered "in-progress".

I love it when these "Eyes" on G's display interesting information in normal time-keeping mode other that the tic of seconds, and the status of stop-watch, countdown timer, multi-alarms (1-4,snz) on/off, would be really nice.

Any other comments on the operation of the Rangeman eagerly welcomed!
    Thanks.
    regards,
    James
    | GW-9010-1; Mudman Rally Timer; August 22, 2012 | GS-1150-1; Giez; 2011 | DW-9700NC-8T; Helly Hansen; Sept 20, 2010 | G-8000F-9DR; Sept 18, 2010 | GW-9200; Riseman; June 29, 09 | DW-1000: pre-G; orig 1982; refurb Sept, 06 | GL-150-8v; ~2001 | G-7000D-8v; ~2000 | G-5600J; RECOVER plagued | G-8000F-4DR; Feb 26, 2007 | Giez GS-1001-7ADR; Jan 3, 2008 | three data bank calculators | BG-148; ~2000 |

Re: Rangeman Operation Questions: Altitude ascent and descent and The Eye (GW-9400)

It measures altitude by measuring air pressure....barometer and altitude use the same sensor.

Eye goes fast clockwise in STW and slow clockwise in CDT.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; October 11th, 2013 at 03:08.

Re: Rangeman Operation Questions: Altitude ascent and descent and The Eye (GW-9400)

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    It measures altitude by measuring air pressure....barometer and altitude use the same sensor.

Eye goes fast clockwise in STW and slow clockwise in CDT.
    Does the altimeter track and continue to update the cumulative altitude ascent and descent when not displaying in the Altimeter mode?

Oh, interesting that the Eye goes same direction, but different speeds, to distinguish between STW and CDT. Nice that the Eye displays this STW and CTD behavior when the mode is set to display normal time-keeping screen with day (toggle w/baro-graph), date, and time and a STW or CTD is in-progress. What does the Eye display in time-keeping mode if both STW and CTD are in-progress simultaneously? Is there a part of the Eye that is going cw-quickly and another part of the Eye that is going cw-slowly?

I think it would be cool if the Rangeman Eye would display the radial fins in proportion to the amount of time elapsed in STW or the amount of time remaining in CTD as well as animate in either a clockwise direction for STW or anti clockwise for CTD. The model G-8000 does this type of bar graph to display the time remaining for a CTD in ten, 1-minute bars. The bar indicating the amount of time remaining toggles on/off. I think the model G-9000 exhibits a similar animated bar graph display for both of its two STW with two separate bar graphs.

Has anyone made a video showing the Eye behaviors for the in-progress STW and CTD modes while in time-keeping mode?

Rangeman looks the excellent piece. I look forward to seeing and trying one in-person someday.

Thanks.
    regards,
    James
    | GW-9010-1; Mudman Rally Timer; August 22, 2012 | GS-1150-1; Giez; 2011 | DW-9700NC-8T; Helly Hansen; Sept 20, 2010 | G-8000F-9DR; Sept 18, 2010 | GW-9200; Riseman; June 29, 09 | DW-1000: pre-G; orig 1982; refurb Sept, 06 | GL-150-8v; ~2001 | G-7000D-8v; ~2000 | G-5600J; RECOVER plagued | G-8000F-4DR; Feb 26, 2007 | Giez GS-1001-7ADR; Jan 3, 2008 | three data bank calculators | BG-148; ~2000 |

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Finally read the module 3410 manual for the GW-9400 Rangeman.
    What a read!

The Eye:
    As far as the Eye goes, I still don't really understand what cool stuff it displays when in Timekeeping mode screen while STW and CTD are running. From some of the videos, I have noticed that the Eye appears to have an outer ring of radial bars and an inner ring of radial bars, but I don't see any mention of the inner ring of radial bars in the manual. Am I incorrect in that there are independent inner and outer radial bars?
    Hoping for a Rangeman Owner to help us all understand the Eye and all of its animations.

Altimeter:
    In answer to my own question, the Altimeter only "runs" while in the specific "altimeter" mode. If you exit the "altimeter" mode, then the Rangeman STOPS adding to the cumulative ascent and descent values, as well as no longer updates the max and min altitude values. Also, the Rangeman doesn't update (add-to) either the ascent or descent value unless there is an elevation change of +/-49 or 50 feet (the equivalent of a 5-story building!). I think it would be more interesting and of value if the cumulative ascent and descent would add-to for at least elevation changes of a 1-story flight of stairs of 10 feet (or 3-meter) altitude changes.

What this means to me is that you can't keep an Altitude measurement record on-going if you are on a hike and need to exit altimeter mode in order to use the compass, or switch to barometer, or switch to STW, or switch to CTD, etc. You have to be in Altimeter mode, or the data records of max, min, cumulative ascent/descent won't get updated.

Anyone now to what altitude resolution the Riseman GW-9200 updates the cumulative ascent and descent values? Does it also not update the cumulative ascent and descent unless there has been an altitude change of +/-49 or 50 feet? I've read through the Riseman module 3147 manual, and I can't find this information. I own the Riseman, but haven't really noticed. Anyone know?

Rangeman does look awesome!
    Thanks.
    regards,
    James

Quote Originally Posted by jmathis View Post
    Finally read the module 3410 manual for the GW-9400 Rangeman.
    What a read!

The Eye:
    As far as the Eye goes, I still don't really understand what cool stuff it displays when in Timekeeping mode screen while STW and CTD are running. From some of the videos, I have noticed that the Eye appears to have an outer ring of radial bars and an inner ring of radial bars, but I don't see any mention of the inner ring of radial bars in the manual. Am I incorrect in that there are independent inner and outer radial bars?
    Hoping for a Rangeman Owner to help us all understand the Eye and all of its animations.
    When the STW is running, the eye, in timekeeping mode, shows an animation a bit like aperture blades opening and closing on a camera. The CDT running has no effect on the eye in timekeeping (it still shows the seconds ticking as it would without the CDT running). I can't see what you mean by the inner and outer radial bars. It has more bars and detail than other eyes I've seen allowing for more detail in the animation but not two sets of bars.

It sounds to to me like you are heading for a Rangeman sometime soon!

My bad on the radial Ey indicators. There is a bit if a gap between the central black spot in the eye and the animated radial indicators-- that I mistook for a secondary inner ring of indicators. Thanks for clarifying my misconception.

I like the Rangeman, maybe someday I will get it, but for now my Riseman is satisfying... But for how long...!
    MCZK likes this.

I don't own a Rangeman yet, but I don't thik you find cumulative Altitude ratings. I'm used to find that on Bicycle computers and probably there are probably Hike GPS systems who do that too. I have several DW-9100 Risemans, G(W)-9200 Risemans and some Pro-Treks. Non have the cumulative Altitude feature. I think it's something specially bicycler and mountain bikers are interested in.

I should read the 3410 manual. I'm pretty curious if there i a recorder function like the old DW-9100.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Found the manual. It seems there is indeed a cumulative Ascent and Descent feature! I'm trying to figure out the recorder function now.

EDIT: I should not get up this early in my Autumn Holidays... The Riseman has this feature too

Last edited by Sjors; October 12th, 2013 at 08:55.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Jmathis...wow, brother! ...and I thought I was OCD!

jmathis and KVM888 like this.

Thread Information