The Rangeman is a pretty awesome watch... (non-Rangeman content :P)
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The Rangeman is a pretty awesome watch... (non-Rangeman content :P)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs Up The Rangeman is a pretty awesome watch... (non-Rangeman content :P)

... but the Riseman's still pretty darn cool too haha, well at least in my opinion anyway :D

Been a while since I've posted, but I thought I'd post up a recent pickup of mine and a recent trip I did with it! Was out of the G shock game for a bit, but recently acquired a few. Might post up a thread soon about them haha! :)

Very recently, I managed to find someone selling a watch that I'd never thought I'd own, simply because the colour and the feel of it when I first held it didn't sit well with me at all.. Didn't like it much at all when I first saw it. This was however, a couple of years ago. Instead, I ended up getting the standard model Riseman, which I subsequently wrecked whilst cleaning it (sensor damage but getting it repaired now so yay!).... Fast forwarding, after owning the standard model for a couple of years, I found this model in absolute mint condition and I inevitably, gave in :D .

Welcome to the family, the Rescue G, G-9200R-4DR. Yep, I scored myself the orange Riseman!

Name:  DSC_0591.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  181.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0590.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  171.2 KB

Considering it is now very well discontinued and prices are getting pretty high for it and the fact that I'm in Australia where G Shocks are priced too damn high ( e.g ~250AUD retail for a standard older model mudman...whatajoke) I was pretty darn happy with the price I scored it for! Another plus is I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. Love the orange now! Great bright watch to wear during summer! Changed the strap keeper to a black one which I prefer, also knowing how easily the orange keeper goes blaaaaaaaack and seeing how the resin sets for this watch are quite pricey now too.

Anyway, so after I got the watch, a few days later, we did a family trip out to the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney. Great place for heading out bushwalking and doing other outdoorsy kind of stuff! And yes, I decided to take the Riseman out for a day out in the mountains, particularly to put the altimeter function to use and of course to wear it, because you know, it's the 'new watch thing'...

Name:  DSC_0085.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  164.1 KB

We decided to bush walk around the area and one of the walks was heading down to the base of a waterfall known as Govett's Leap. A descent of about 200m according to the info centre person.

Spot the waterfall...
    Name:  DSC_0103.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  249.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0089.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  196.6 KB

Calibrated my watch to 120m which is the approximate altitude of my house before we left. Got to the start of the walk and the altimeter read 985m.

Heading down the track, was really cool to see how it kept track of altitude, rate of descent (the graph) as well as timing the entire hike with the alti-timer function.

Name:  DSC_0219.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  196.7 KB

Going down....

Name:  DSC_0255.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  192.0 KB

Finally after the a descent of about 235m, we were finally met with this...

Name:  DSC_0261.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  239.5 KB

Govett's Leap waterfall, from the base!

Name:  DSC_0322.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  155.3 KB

In all its glory!

Later on when we got home, I checked the maps for the altitude. Base waterfall altitude was 729m. The Riseman read 735m. Not bad at all!

On the way up though, I did note that the altitude did drift about 10m from the initial reading, however, I would still consider that pretty good, considering that at the end of the day, it is still a wristwatch and it isn't a life dependant kinda precision instrument, if that makes sense.

One last photo, atop anvil hill which is near by (note altimeter wasn't calibrated so measurement was probably off but by this point, I wasn't paying attention to/using the altimeter function anymore... the views were much much more interesting ) Stunning piece of country!
    Name:  DSC_0513.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  145.5 KB

Missed having my all-time favourite G on my wrist in proper working condition- it's been wayyy too long

Cheers,
    Will
    Last edited by widgydidge; October 14th, 2014 at 04:48. Reason: rename thread title

Re: The Rangeman is a pretty awesome watch...

Fantastic thread.

Love your photos. Thanks for taking all the time to take and post them.

Mitch

No worries mate, happy to share them!
    Thanks for reading :)

Will.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Excellent pictures, but you are missing the compass

Great thread Will and nice watch, great to see another sydneysider here, great pics too, cheers
    lolman45 and SHOCKbug34 like this.

I saw one of these on ebay a few weeks back (it might have been the very one that you bought). I was very close to buying it, but I would have just modded it to black resin and sold the orange, so in the end it would not have been worth it. Congratulations, it is a very hard to find watch now. The color reminds me of a highway cone. Definitely has that rescue/emergency look. There is a fireman's ax in the backlight image, right?
    lolman45 likes this.

almost missed this thread because of the title as I kindda am tired of all the rangeman threads / LOLz /

Awesome pics and congrats on a great pickup!
    lolman45 likes this.

Cheers man! Yea, likewise!
    Last edited by widgydidge; October 14th, 2014 at 00:37. Reason: repost..

@hishammsm haha yea i am, but a watch band one will suffice, if I'm bothered to put it on :P

@Cobia Cheers mate! Yea likewise!

@kung-fusion No, didn't pick this one up off ebay! So it wouldn't have been the one you saw. Funny, I was contemplating doing that as well, but painting the lettering on the black bezel to orange, like the GW-M5610R colour scheme, but maybe later haha Yea, very cool fireman axe on the EL light!

@G-fob yea haha I've noticed the large amount of threads too. SHould've used a different title in hindsight, but oh wells..

@Worker Cheers mate!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information