Rangeman or similar module with atomic time
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By omegagmt
  • 3 Post By LankyOrangutan
  • 1 Post By TRSCP
  • 2 Post By Mike K

Thread: Rangeman or similar module with atomic time

Rangeman or similar module with atomic time

I am having issues with the world time. It's off by an hour early. For example, I'm in Texas and its 2:33pm local time and 7:33pm in London. I do have the DST on right now. I figured with my R/C on auto and receiving a fresh signal every night, my world time would be correct. Any suggestions on a fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JohnQFord likes this.
    file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/michael's/watcheswanted/seikos%20wish%20list/alba.gif

Re: Rangeman or similar module with atomic time

Should I have Mexico City or Chicago as my city for time zone ?

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/michael's/watcheswanted/seikos%20wish%20list/alba.gif

Do you have DST activated for London? I don't see the icon for it. In world time you have to manually adjust for DST by holding the adjust button down, it wont do it automatically for you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LankyOrangutan View Post
    Do you have DST activated for London? I don't see the icon for it. In world time you have to manually adjust for DST by holding the adjust button down, it wont do it automatically for you.
    It's kinda silly, but you actually do have to set the DST manually for each timezone on the watch :(

Quick fix though! :)
    sticktodrum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by omegagmt View Post
    Should I have Mexico City or Chicago as my city for time zone ?
    That really doesn't matter; either one is fine. If either one is chosen, the watch will know to use the WWVB signal from Ft. Collins, CO and use UTC-6 for the local time. See the chart at the bottom of page 2 of http://support.casio.com/storage/en/...009/qw3410.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by TRSCP View Post
    It's kinda silly, but you actually do have to set the DST manually for each timezone on the watch :(
    Actually, we only have to set the DST manually for those really far-away time zones -- these watches have been programmed to "know" that when DST goes into effect in NYC it goes into effect for all the cities across North America, but we have to manually change DST settings for other continents manually. IF the entire world used the same two dates to "spring forward and fall back" it would be a lot easier, but that will probably never happen.
    Last edited by Mike K; July 14th, 2015 at 23:42.
    LankyOrangutan and TRSCP like this.

I am in Texas and use Mexico City. No issues here.

Thanks for all you responses. It's weird the world time for Hong Kong is correct and the time for London is off by an hour.

Thanks for all you responses. It's weird the world time for Hong Kong is correct and the time for London is off by an hour.
    Hong Kong doesn't use DST? Honestly don't know off the top of my head, but plenty of countries don't use it at all, that's part of the reason why it's not automatic, the other part being what Mike said.
    Last edited by LankyOrangutan; July 15th, 2015 at 01:10. Reason: typos

Again, it's not weird when you understand how your watch works. Hong Kong does NOT use DST, which is why your watch shows that time correctly. London DOES use DST, and therefore needs to be manually adjusted by users whose home cities aren't in the UK or Europe.

For a long list of current times around the world, which shows which places are currently on or off DST, see The World Clock — Worldwide

Since governments keep switching DST dates, the only way to have a completely accurate "world time watch" is to manually adjust the watch on: the Saturday before the last Sunday in March, the Saturday before the last Sunday in October, the third Sunday in January, the third Sunday in February, the second Sunday in March, March 21–22, last Friday in March, the last Sunday in March, the first Sunday in April, the last Sunday in September, September 21–22, the first Sunday in October, the third Sunday in October, the last Sunday in October, the last Friday in October, the fourth Friday in October, and the first Sunday in November. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylig...ime_by_country

tl;dr: The "world time" feature on watches is a neat gimmick, but requires a LOT of user input to be completely accurate year-round.

it's 12:20pm in the UK right now...

Thread Information