Rangeman & Temp. Sensor

Thread: Rangeman & Temp. Sensor

Rangeman & Temp. Sensor

I understand from various reviews that the temp sensor is not accurate when the watch is on your arm. Is there a way to adjust for this "on the fly" and allow one to come up with a fairly accurate ambient temperature? For example, perhaps the watch registers 15 degrees higher when the watch is on your arm compared to the actual temperature. Then, all you do is subtract 15 from the reading.........

Re: Rangeman & Temp. Sensor

The setting is adjustable and I experimented with your idea in the past, resetting the watch readout to reflect being on the wrist and reached the conclusion it is not an accurate way to measure ambient temperature.

Re: Rangeman & Temp. Sensor

Quote Originally Posted by bradahj View Post
    I understand from various reviews that the temp sensor is not accurate when the watch is on your arm. Is there a way to adjust for this "on the fly" and allow one to come up with a fairly accurate ambient temperature? For example, perhaps the watch registers 15 degrees higher when the watch is on your arm compared to the actual temperature. Then, all you do is subtract 15 from the reading.........
    In general it is best not to mess with the settings since then it will become inaccurate when not worn on the wrist! It is better to calculate the off set in your head. But in general the temp difference will only be relatively stable in nice weather in wind still conditions. On a nice summer day with 20-25 degrees Celsius in the shadow and no wind I have found the temp on my wrist to be around 29-30 degrees Celsius when wearing a short sleeve. So for most of the time then no using this method is not very reliable!

The built in thermometer in ABC(T) watches is mostly there to assist the barometer, it is mostly useless on the wrist otherwise (unless you have a Garmin fenix watch with a external tempe sensor) or when using it to measure water temperature. On the wrist you only get real temps when using the watch in the water so you can get accurate water temps that way if you have been swimming for a few minutes. To get accurate air temperature it is best to take it of wrist in a shadow for at least 15 minutes!
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Thread Information