Rangeman -- what you like or don't like
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Rangeman -- what you like or don't like

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rangeman -- what you like or don't like

I know there's been a lot of discussion about the Rangeman over the past couple of years. For those who have owned one for a while:

1) How do you like it overall?
    2) Comfortable?
    3) Strengths/weaknesses? Features you like/don't like?
    4) Positive vs. Negative display?
    5) Favorite color combination?

Thanks!
    John

Re: Rangeman -- what you like or don't like

A great looker but too small for me (I wear Kings and a 1000 froggy). The broken strap lugs thing made me sell mine.

I have one and dislike the super tiny compass indicator. I know it has the degrees on the main lcd screen. But is it really so hard to design it so that it has a compass ring like a Pro Trek, or a duplex lcd like the Pathfinders? Or better yet, the compass ring from a SGW-100.
    And the standard complaint, weak alarm tone.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I got my first Rangeman a couple of years ago

1) I love it. My 10yr old son has one too for over a year now and rarely takes his off.

2) For me it fits very comfortably

3) It is possible that the lug design makes the case prone to breaking. There have been a handful of members here who have reported broken lugs where the band screws attach to the case. While I definitely find this troubling, I have never had a problem, and it does not dissuade me from liking the watch. I haven't used my Rangeman particularly hard ( I have a Mudman for that), but I haven't babied it either, and have used it often as an outdoor watch. On the other hand, my son has put his watch though hell. His has been through all the rigors you would expect a rambunctious 10 year old boy to put it through, and his lugs have held up fine. Its up to you to decide if the risk makes the watch not worth purchasing.

There are no features that I don't like on the watch. On the contrary, there are many features I find handy such as the one touch stopwatch shortcut and sunrise/sunset time, amongst others.

4) Positive. The negative display looks cool and I do own one, but for functionality I would definitely go with the positive display.

5) If I were recommending it to someone I would probably say just go with the standard model, but there are many cool colors to choose from, including camo and bright yellow. However, my personal favorite is one I made myself. Not something I would recommend for daily wear, but you did say favorite.

I like mine, especially the fit on the wrist and rugged feel. I love the position of the light button and the compass function.
    Time4Playnow, JohnM and frhoads like this.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

I don't like the PURPLE solar panel...and this pertains to all SOLAR G SHOCKS...the soft PURPLE/VIOLET always looks out of place and irritates me.

kev
    Last edited by Kev55; January 23rd, 2016 at 02:55.
    kmbijit likes this.

I have 7 Rangeman models so obviously I really like this watch. The cases of people who have experienced broken lugs have been such a small number that this does not appear to be any kind of widespread problem. There may be a design flaw, but thankfully it does not appear to have affected a large number of owners. I have worn my Rangers a lot, not hard use, but nevertheless worn a lot with no problems at all.

The Ranger is super comfortable. Good looking. But to me its best attribute is its module. What a great combo of features! From "ABC" capability, to the ability to store up to 30 or 40 records including time stamps, the one-touch, 1,000 hour stopwatch, and sunrise/sunset. It would be just about my perfect ABC watch if it also had moon phase and tide graph - but, I can live without those. I also like the centrally located, easy-to-find light button.

My "love" for the Ranger has been documented by me in previous threads. The only "con" might be that it's a bit bulky and won't always fit easily under sleeves, but most Gs are like that and it doesn't really bother me. Oh, okay, you could say another "con" might be that Casio has charge $$$$ for different colored versions, just because they made them limited or special editions. Wish they had just made those same colors but offered them all for the standard price! Too bad Casio is in the business of making money!!

I like all of my Ranger colors, but my favs are the Green Sea and Earth, the Kobe, and my latest pickup below that I'll now be calling the Burton Blizzard Ranger!! (pics to follow later this weekend from the Blizzard aftermath)

p.s. I owned the olive Ranger at one time, it was nice looking, but didn't keep it due to the negative display. I still own the all-black (glossy black) Ranger with negative display, but will keep it because it has such a cool overall look. For practicality though, the positive display is the way to go.

Here's the Burton "Blizzard" Ranger: (BORN in a snowbank! LOL)

Last edited by Time4Playnow; January 25th, 2016 at 16:43.

For me the screen is too small, very comfortable, design very good, band perfect to wear, large color choice.. The best digital for me.
    Negative is cool and if you can have one model only, I suggest the Olive or the exclusive Panther.

Watches: G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400 - Mudmaster GWG-1000
    The best Casio G-Shock is the next one...

I think outside of our love for screwback Gs, the rangeman is objectively speaking the best G. My only complaint is that the watch is quite thick and angular, making it bard to wear with long sleeves
    ccm123 and Pachoe like this.

I love the sunrise/sunset time feature and also the fact that this model syncs so well!
    Pachoe likes this.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information