Rare/LE G-Shocks, wear them or not???

View Poll Results: Parts hard to source? what to do

Voters
88. This poll is closed
  • Use it, abuse it - that's what it was made for

27 30.68%
  • Cherish it, you won't find another and there's no spares.

10 11.36%
  • Wear it sparingly, with care.

51 57.95%

Thread: Rare/LE G-Shocks, wear them or not???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rare/LE G-Shocks, wear them or not???

As title suggests, what do you do with your rare or limited edition G's??

Do you just have them for show, safe in the knowledge that no damage will occur, strap will last and you don't have to try and source elusive/non existant spares?

Or do you wear the thing, after all that's what it was made for, and tough luck if you are unable to source spare straps/bezels etc when needed.

Reason i ask, is that i have a few rare ones, or at least hard to source spares for (Terje Haakonsen Riseman to name but one) and am unsure whether or not to just wear the damn thing, but i don't want it to end up left high and dry when the strap gives or the bezel is scratched up.

Rusty

Re: Rare/LE G-Shocks, wear them or not???

Wear it sparingly, with care.

That's the whole point of buying a watch.

It deserves some occasional careful wear, otherwise why bother getting the watch to begin with. And with the exception of a particular past member of this forum who manages to get away with highway robbery prices for rare G-shocks, the things just do not fetch all that much money back for the average seller. I learned this myself the hard way, it's really not worth trying to re-sell rare G-shocks. So unless you're collecting them just to collect, wear them. They'll eventually be ground into dust anyways when rubber rot settles in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

use it and abuse it: after all its just watch, means a tool . that doesn't mean I use a watch as a hammer to put nails in a wall, but if they get scratches and scars during hard duties, I don't care.

regards, holger

I agree, they deserves some occasional careful wear... just like an antique or classic car.. most gear heads don't let their beauty's sit in the garage with no one ever seeing them... and they are not daily drivers either.... they get pampered, warshed, polished and gently driven to car shows and rallies.

I just scored this... and you can bet your cricket wicket she will get worn with pride and joy.

Orient: Black Mako (FEM65001BW)
    G-Shock: DW9052-2V, DW56RT-1V, G2500-3V, DW-9700UL-9T, DW-003S, DW-003H-9T, G9000-MX4, DW-004, GW-9200RJ-4JF, G-5500SRF
    Seiko: SKX781 Orange Monster, SNK807 Seiko 5, SUN017P1, SNP105 (incoming)
    Tissot: PRC200
    Other: Stuhrling Skeleton (1070.33161)

"Don't wait for the perfect moment, take this moment and make it perfect."
    ---Dr. Simon Atkins

"Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistent one."
    ---Albert Einstein

"The capper is that, like life, golf is a game that can't be won, only played."
    ---Bagger Vance

Another point to add, a G-Shock be it limited or not is not a Rolex or diamond studded Patek Phillipe which costs a few times what most of earn a month.......

If it devalues, how bad can it get?

The only thing that I think holding most of us back from abusing it or wearing it regularly is the looks, most of the time it looks nicer than regular models. And inside we know that if we destroy or disfigure it, it'll be hard to buy back a replacement without paying a hefty price.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBeeCee View Post
    Another point to add, a G-Shock be it limited or not is not a Rolex or diamond studded Patek Phillipe which costs a few times what most of earn a month.......

If it devalues, how bad can it get?

The only thing that I think holding most of us back from abusing it or wearing it regularly is the looks, most of the time it looks nicer than regular models. And inside we know that if we destroy or disfigure it, it'll be hard to buy back a replacement without paying a hefty price.
    To my mind, cost/value is not the issue. It's rarity - though i think i pretty much decided that careful wear is the course of action - kill a rare G-Shock and yes, it's cost not much, but trying to replace it would be darn near impossible. Kill your Rolex Sub and assuming you're either insured/rich, you can just buy another identical watch

Rusty

Wear them with care, although saying that I have 2 frogmans' which have never even been out of the box yet!
    Real men don't need instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by azziman View Post
    Wear them with care, although saying that I have 2 frogmans' which have never even been out of the box yet!
    The 1st scratch is the deepest .............. to paraphrase Rod Stewart (amongst others)

I've voted 'wear sparingly', but I wouldn't actually buy a watch that needed that degree of care and attention.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information