RE: First G-Shock - Should i get the MRG
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: RE: First G-Shock - Should i get the MRG

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

RE: First G-Shock - Should i get the MRG

Hi Folks,

After a long hiatus from WUS and watches, i've come back with renewed interest in Japanese watches.

Just bought myself a Seiko Tuna MM300 and am now looking at a G-Shock. After going thru lotsa research, i've learnt that the MRG is the highest line in G-Shock.

My question is: If i want just one G-Shock in my collection, is the MRG the way to go? I've been looking at the MRG G1000C 1A and from the pictures its just beautiful. However, there is no way i can try it on as no AD in my area has it.....but i've tried the MTG B1000 and size wise its ok (on the large side for me but ok).

What do the folks here think?
    babyivan and Time4Playnow like this.

Re: First G-Shock - Should i get the MRG

No; it's too big and gawdy.
    babyivan likes this.

I suspect the response you will get is go for the iconic gw5000... I'd suggest you get whichever one you like the best.

If I could pick any G it would be the gmw b5000 v with lovely aged effect.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is a purely subjective question. So many good options. Personally, I'm all about squares, when it comes to G Shocks. They are the perfect size; not too big, not too small. And I love the retro stuff as a child of the 80's.

I was mostly into Seiko autos myself up until a few months ago, and felt that if I was going to go quartz, it would have to be something the opposite of analog; a digital.

Digital fully embraces quartz. After all, it's the only way they come. When I look at the few (non-casio) analog quartz I own, I feel let down.
    However, I would totally own a casio/ghock analog with multiband6 (MB6). That would be awesome. To see the hands do their thing when the watch gets it's signal, or wakes up from a slumber. And the multiband is something that an auto/mechanical cannot do, which brings it to another level.

How did this become about me, lol.

My vote: look around, don't limit your options to just one type; EVERY G is a GREAT G (even the ugly ones, lol).

One more thing; take a look at the full metal squares. I think they are the best of the best, even if not part of their "prestige" line. Solid bracelet, milled clasp, all of the digi goodness, made in japan, DLC coated screwback case, multiband 6, Bluetooth (meh on that one for me), and an STN lcd display; the best screen Casio makes.
    The STN is super clear and bold, and can be read at any angle without a hint of being blury or looking faded. I think it's probably the best feature on them. Casio should make STN standard on all of their digis! It even makes negative displays doable, if you can imagine.

Sorry, I get long winded on the train ride into Manhattan.

In my opinion, don't. The MR-G G1000 is a fantastic watch - I love mine. But wouldn't have it as an only G-Shock.

You see, the best thing about G-Shocks is that you can do anything with them. They are great tools where few other watches would survive - they take a beating, mud, sweat, cold, vibration, you name it. It is great to have such a watch. While the MR-G (or GMW-5000) can do most of those things, it is quite big, relatively heavy, all-metal, definitely not ideal. Like a Porsche Cayenne - theoretically it can go wherever a Suzuki Samurai goes, only nobody takes it there, because its too expensive and not the best tool for that kind of job.

So no, take a low-medium level G (like a GW-9400 or GW-M5610) as a beater for those kind of jobs. Then take the MR-G and have all other watches (except the beater) go out the window.
    Last edited by Miklos86; 4 Weeks Ago at 15:51. Reason: typo
    - Casio G-Shock MR-G G1000B-1A
    - Casio G-Shock GW5000-1JF
    - Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW9400-1
    - Casio Pro Trek PRW-6600YBE-5
    -
    Garmin Fenix 5 Plus
    - Seiko Samurai Great White Shark edition SRPD23K1

Quote Originally Posted by ET8341 View Post
    No; it's too big and gawdy.
    Being serious now, the MRG is very bold and impressive. It's as expensive as your "luxury" Swiss watches, so you've got to be a serious G-Shock fan to get one.
    kubr1ck and Dxnnis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ET8341 View Post
    Being serious now, the MRG is very bold and impressive. It's as expensive as your "luxury" Swiss watches, so you've got to be a serious G-Shock fan to get one.
    All very good points to think about thank you. One of the main reasons I am drawn to G-Shock is that it’s so anti Swiss. It’s a breath of fresh air from my Swiss pieces. The MRG is interesting because it seems to still provide luxury but still seems anti Swiss....hope I am making sense.
    Dxnnis and Tetsu Tekubi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by babyivan View Post
    This is a purely subjective question. So many good options. Personally, I'm all about squares, when it comes to G Shocks. They are the perfect size; not too big, not too small. And I love the retro stuff as a child of the 80's.

I was mostly into Seiko autos myself up until a few months ago, and felt that if I was going to go quartz, it would have to be something the opposite of analog; a digital.

Digital fully embraces quartz. After all, it's the only way they come. When I look at the few (non-casio) analog quartz I own, I feel let down.
    However, I would totally own a casio/ghock analog with multiband6 (MB6). That would be awesome. To see the hands do their thing when the watch gets it's signal, or wakes up from a slumber. And the multiband is something that an auto/mechanical cannot do, which brings it to another level.

How did this become about me, lol.

My vote: look around, don't limit your options to just one type; EVERY G is a GREAT G (even the ugly ones, lol).

One more thing; take a look at the full metal squares. I think they are the best of the best, even if not part of their "prestige" line. Solid bracelet, milled clasp, all of the digi goodness, made in japan, DLC coated screwback case, multiband 6, Bluetooth (meh on that one for me), and an STN lcd display; the best screen Casio makes.
    The STN is super clear and bold, and can be read at any angle without a hint of being blury or looking faded. I think it's probably the best feature on them. Casio should make STN standard on all of their digis! It even makes negative displays doable, if you can imagine.

Sorry, I get long winded on the train ride into Manhattan.
    I did check out the metal squares and they were very good quality. But somehow the digital face doesn’t do it for me.....maybe I will check it out again tomorrow
    babyivan likes this.

Should you get the MR-G as your only g-shock?

My answer is, it depends. Not many of us would usually recommend that someone new to G-shocks start out with an MR-G. BUT - if you have a very small number of watches and are determined to keep it that way, want to experience the best of what G-shock offers with just a single watch, and are interested in a luxury-level watch that can handle anything (the MR-Gs are just as tough as other Gs - there are videos on youtube to prove it), then maybe the MR-G is for you.

Some would recommend against it because they see g-shocks as "beater" watches and would not recommend using an expensive MR-G as a beater. But some watch guys DO wear their expensive watches for anything and everything - and in that case, an MR-G would fit the bill nicely and BETTER than nearly any other watch. (and if you don't want to wear the MR-G as a beater watch, then you could get a DW-5600E for $40 for that purpose)

Probably safe to say that MOST of us on this forum have more than one g-shock. Some crazies like myself have dozens. They are fun and easy to 'collect.' I didn't start off with an MR-G, but am sure glad I got one.

Btw, don't let the size worry you, the MR-Gs wear very nicely thanks to the low-weight titanium construction. Yes, they look bold and bad-a**, but they are super comfortable and can easily be worn all day, everyday.

Also, be aware that the MRG-G1000 model has MB6 and GPS, while the 'newer' iterations of the MR-G - the MRG-G2000 being one of them - have different methods of syncing the time AFAIK. Not sure offhand how the G2000 syncs, but I think it has MB6, GPS, and BT... That's something you can research. Also, the G1000s are the same size as the G2000s, but the MRG-B1000 is smaller.

Good luck! Here is the MRG-G1000B-1A (full titanium and DLC construction), which I happen to be wearing right this moment.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_cfa.jpeg
Views: 116
Size:  2.58 MB
    Last edited by Time4Playnow; 3 Weeks Ago at 19:00.
    babyivan, GaryK30, kubr1ck and 4 others like this.
    Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GWR-B1000X-1A, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000G-1, GWF-D1000MB-3JF, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GXW-56BB-1JF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

Quote Originally Posted by Miklos86 View Post
    In my opinion, don't. The MR-G G1000 is a fantastic watch - I love mine. But wouldn't have it as an only G-Shock.

You see, the best thing about G-Shocks is that you can do anything with them. They are great tools where few other watches would survive - they take a beating, mud, sweat, cold, vibration, you name it. It is great to have such a watch. While the MR-G (or GMW-5000) can do most of those things, it is quite big, relatively heavy, all-metal, definitely not ideal. Like a Porsche Cayenne - theoretically it can go wherever a Suzuki Samurai goes, only nobody takes it there, because its too expensive and not the best tool for that kind of job.

So no, take a low-medium level G (like a GW-9400 or GW-M5610) as a beater for those kind of jobs. Then take the MR-G and have all other watches (except the beater) go out the window.
    I am on the same opinion, but I would say the representative G-Shocks are from the Master of G collection. They are ultra-tough and full of sensors and features (more than the MRG). I'd love to have the MRG but it is too expensive and serious for my taste.
    Dxnnis likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information