re-installing module tips/tricks?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sodamonkey

Thread: re-installing module tips/tricks?

re-installing module tips/tricks?

I have a g5600KG-3 I need to re-install as it fell out of the case and the first attempt it never snapped in place and it doesn't look like the button contacts are hanging up at all but then again the ADJUST button doesn't work now and neither does the LIGHT button but both bottom buttons work. Any tips on re-installing it correctly and safely? Thanks.

Re: re-installing module tips/tricks?

A few pics with your module and case would help a great deal for people in the forum here to help you. I know this is a continuation of the discussion started in the nature thread. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/cas...78485-151.html

Sometimes you can't tell the contacts are "hung up" though. Does the module look ever so slightly raised in the watch if you hold it level? I usually just use a thin pair of tweezers to push the contacts against the module as I press it back into the watch, therefore missing the button stems.

HTH and not too obvious?
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah it wasn't obvious when I first put the module in as it didn't seem like the contacts were hanging up on the button pushers (thing with the c-clips), but they were as I tried with a small eyeglass screwdriver to compress the contacts against the module on one side and then the other side. Now it works normally and all buttons function again. Thanks!

Once I used the screwdriver the module did in fact seat fully and sit lower than originally. Weird thing though I've removed modules before in the past and never needed a screwdriver to make it install properly. Maybe it varies depending on the case and module.

What I was surprised, was there was no actual thread or tutorial on here of all places, to instruct on how to re-install a module.
    Last edited by tic-toc/g-shock; February 13th, 2016 at 20:33.

Quote Originally Posted by tic-toc/g-shock View Post
    Yeah it wasn't obvious when I first put the module in as it didn't seem like the contacts were hanging up on the button pushers (thing with the c-clips), but they were as I tried with a small eyeglass screwdriver to compress the contacts against the module on one side and then the other side. Now it works normally and all buttons function again. Thanks!

Once I used the screwdriver the module did in fact seat fully and sit lower than originally. Weird thing though I've removed modules before in the past and never needed a screwdriver to make it install properly. Maybe it varies depending on the case and module.

What I was surprised, was there was no actual thread or tutorial on here of all places, to instruct on how to re-install a module.
    What I am really surprised of is how did the module managed to fall off the case!!!!

I've found that it can depend on the exact model sometimes, (not that I could tell you which ones, lol!). I have had G's and "normal" Casio's that have had modules that went back in with no problems at all, then others that "hang" on the button stems. I do recall that some G's don't have the contacts, just contact plates? I think these are the models that have the rubber surround on the module? These slot in easily, whereas the watches with the contacts that stick out from the module can be a pain to get back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Subafan View Post
    What I am really surprised of is how did the module managed to fall off the case!!!!
    Prob didn't fall out, I've often taken out the module myself either to clean the crystal on the inside or to strip down the watch to clean everything.

EDIT - Oh, just re-read the OP's original post, it fell out!
    Last edited by sodamonkey; February 15th, 2016 at 10:30.

Yes it fell out on it's own but gravity had a bit to do with that. I had it in the sun in the case but the back was removed and while it was sitting in the sun I think maybe the heat may have loosened the module as when I was finding a new place to set it to optimize the sun's ray the module popped out and fell in the grass. No springs were lost in this experiment!

What I still am puzzled by is why I would have needed the case back plate on in order to charge the watch? As soon as I put on a GW-M5610 case back and screwed it on (even before fully re-seating the contacts) the watch charged up to full within a couple of hours. Prior to that it was in the sun several hours (and even more outside of the case (which I didn't realize at the time that the solar cell was in the case not the module- doh....)) and never got out of level 4 with the flashing CHG and no time display. I read in another post that the 2 springs contact the solar cell and is what is needed to charge the watch and I would think the back of the watch case would have no effect on that at all. Any thoughts?

im surprised anyone needs a tutorial to do that.
    1. place back in
    2. done

Yes it fell out on it's own but gravity had a bit to do with that. I had it in the sun in the case but the back was removed and while it was sitting in the sun I think maybe the heat may have loosened the module as when I was finding a new place to set it to optimize the sun's ray the module popped out and fell in the grass. No springs were lost in this experiment!

What I still am puzzled by is why I would have needed the case back plate on in order to charge the watch? As soon as I put on a GW-M5610 case back and screwed it on (even before fully re-seating the contacts) the watch charged up to full within a couple of hours. Prior to that it was in the sun several hours (and even more outside of the case (which I didn't realize at the time that the solar cell was in the case not the module- doh....)) and never got out of level 4 with the flashing CHG and no time display. I read in another post that the 2 springs contact the solar cell and is what is needed to charge the watch and I would think the back of the watch case would have no effect on that at all. Any thoughts?
    my guess is the backing plate pushes the module on to the contacts for them to make a proper firm contact. there might even be some sort of safety thing so that it doesnt charge when its opened?
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

I reckon the case contacting with the springs creates a circuit back into the watch? I'm not sure why some have two springs that sit against the solar panel, and some only have one, (like the non G WVA-430U that I am currently trying to get to High after getting it from ebay in a dead condition), although saying that, it has one spring that sits against the solar panel and one that is actually in a hole in the plastic surround of the module between the bottom two case screws so maybe that's the circuit?

Thread Information