ready for the dw-5000sl? here we go with pics... - Page 3

Thread: ready for the dw-5000sl? here we go with pics...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: ready for the dw-5000sl? here we go with pics...

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Congrats on that one Gerry! Wear it in good health! One day I'm gonna gat a screwback Casio too - don't know which one though - I'm leaning more towards the Ocean Grey.

Greetings, Sedi
    the ocean grey is very nice, but different from the SL. the SL comes very close to the original dw-5000 and to the dw-5000SP.

i always think about the ocean grey before i go to bed and also about the master blue frogman... i hope this will stop soon or i have to open my wallet the big way!
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Hi Gerry,

Congrats! Great pics. Are you going to remove the shop sticker. I think the signature is looking much better

Cheers,

Sjors
    hi sjors, did you buy any of the screwback 5000 or 5025 series in 2008?

i am the first who removes stickers and tags etc. (there are people who keep the remote control for the tv in the small plastic bag it comes with. maybe its stays clean. but the plastic gets dirty anyway and its very uncomfortable. why not use and abuse and enjoy the things we pay for?).

but i wanted to share my very first impression with you guys (inkl. the sticker)

gerry
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

sml

What is the benefit of the screwback vs the standard back plate with the 4 screws?

I see the additional screwback weight as a disadvantage but I guess there must be some positives?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JERSTERCA View Post
    Ben I have been thinking the same thing I am not a fan of spike and would much prefer a retro screwback with nothing on the caseback maybe and old fashioned G in the el why has casio not brough back a standard 5600 / 5700 G screwback not a limited edition it would be cheaper no royalites to spike and it could be a everyday watch
    I agree, although it could be the case that the screwback costs Casio more to manufacture and/or support? Could be one of the reasons why almost all of the new models coming out these days are 4-screw casebacks.

Quote Originally Posted by sml View Post
    What is the benefit of the screwback vs the standard back plate with the 4 screws?

I see the additional screwback weight as a disadvantage but I guess there must be some positives?
    At the end of the day, sml, I think it really boils down to opinion. There is the school of thought that screwbacks are much more solid, durable, and water resistant, and that is the reason why all the high-end mechanical watches and "real" diving watches use this casing.

On the other hand, there is the school of thought that the 4-screw caseback is equally, if not more, robust. After all, there are 4 screws instead of one giant one. There has been talk that the 4-screw alternative puts even less strain on the gasket and o-ring as there is less torsional friction when the watch is opened/closed.

Personally, I actually appreciate the heftier feel of the screwback, sometimes (like on my GIEZ).

yes, of course its also a fashion thing. there were times the watch industries tried to make as slim as possible watches. actually the g-shock failed in the beginning because it was not fashionable to make thick watches in the early 80s, when digital technology changed the world and producing items smaller and slimmer was the aim in electronics.

from different point of views a heavy screwback watch can be a big disadvantage.

and who knows if the steel case with screwback is really more expensive to produce than the resin version? (some other day adan posted a pic of a dw-5600e showing that it also has a steel plate built inside the case. thats difficult to produce.)

i prefer´screwbacks cause it feels better on my wrist, but if i love a watch and its on 4 screws, i would still buy it.
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

to me, 4 screws are screwed into the plastic case which would cause wear and tear and sooner or later will strip out.

screwbacks is one huge caseback screwed into the metal case which i think more sturdy and last longer. plus, i dun mind the weight like the frogman. also, still dun understand why the MRG doesnt comes screwback.
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by mansrow View Post
    still dun understand why the MRG doesnt comes screwback.
    mansrow, I read somewhere that the MRG was in fact a screwback that was also held down by 4 screws...but that doesn't seem likely does it?

Quote Originally Posted by eb23air View Post
    mansrow, I read somewhere that the MRG was in fact a screwback that was also held down by 4 screws...but that doesn't seem likely does it?
    How about the MTG line? Does anyone know what type of caseback it comes with?

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    How about the MTG line? Does anyone know what type of caseback it comes with?
    It's 4 screws, unlike the Giez. Kind of surprising.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information