Real Black Frogman (DW-8200BK) arrival and restoration
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Real Black Frogman (DW-8200BK) arrival and restoration

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Real Black Frogman (DW-8200BK) arrival and restoration

I have been interested in this watch for a while. The DW-8200BK is a watch that has developed a kind of mythical status in the world of G-shocks, for reasons I never quite understood. I liked it, but I didn't LOVE it like some collectors. I had a "7th Frogman" DW-8201NT which is similar in the sense that it is a positive display LCD with a reverse-looking backlight. When the backlight is pressed, the numbers light up and the backgroud remains fairly dark, much like a backlight on a traditional negative display. I liked the DW-8201NT, but I always liked this one, the Real Black frogman, as well. Problem was--the prices were always outside my budget. These were selling for $900 regularly. Now that is has been some time, and newer frogs have come out (there are like 100 versions of the Frogman released so far) the prices on some of these older models are starting to fall. There is a rumor that this has a sapphire crystal (it does not) or that it was for sale by invitation only (I am pretty sure this is not true either)

I picked this up off ebay pretty cheap ($247 plus shipping). I have never seen one sell for so little. It is not perfect. For one thing, the bezel was fake (the seller did announce this by saying it was not original). It doesn't fit properly, is made of inferior resin, and has screws that are clearly not titanium (they have corroded). On top of that, there is some hazing under the crystal, a scratch on the caseback, the band needs replacing, and (this did not show in the photo) some minor scratches on the glass.

Seller's photos:

I got the watch yesterday night, at the same time as a new set of resin from Japan (bought off Rakuten)

First thing I did was replace the battery and grease the gasket. I removed the module and attempted to remove the dial but found that it was adhered to the case (I guess this is how these old 8200's are designed. So I was not able to remove all the haze on the dial. Here is the work I did last night and this morning:

1.) Open watch. Replace battery. Perform reset.
    2.) Grease gasket
    3.) Examine dial. Find that it cannot be removed.
    4.) Clean accessible areas of the underside of crystal with a Q-tip
    5.) Create a thin strip of "floss" out of an eyeglass cleaning cloth, soak in alcohol, and "floss" the top of the bar on the dial to remove the smudge that discolors half of it.
    6.) Spray inside of watch with compressed air.
    7.) Reinstall module, gasket, other parts, and close watch.
    8.) Seal tightly, and wash outside of watch thoroughly with toothbrush and soap
    9.) Place 2000 grit sandpaper on table, place watch on top, and sand caseback until scratch is gone.
    10.) Rough up caseback with kitchen sponge rough side to restore matte look
    11.) Rub caseback with Scratch X, toothpaste, kitchen sponge, and toothpaste again until desired look is achieved
    12.) Polish scratches out of crystal (this part takes the longest by far. Hours. All the other steps combined take less time than this
    13.) Clean watch with toothbrush and warm soapy water
    14.) Clean small spaces of residual cerium oxide with dental tools and compressed air blaster.
    15.) Install new resin, screws, and springbars

That's it! Here are the finished photos. Note, I could not remove all the haze from under the crystal because I could not take off the dial. I did not want to risk damaging the dial because this is the only Frogman that uses this exact dial and it would be near impossible to replace.

The display looks orange in some light, and pink in other light.

Last edited by kung-fusion; December 31st, 2013 at 20:49.

Re: Real Black Frogman (DW-8200BK) arrival and restoration

L E G E N D A R Y ! ! ! ! ! !

Fantastic refurb there Kung. Love your patience when working on these vintages.

The Real Black Frog is a real looker and as you say it is expensive. That was a great price you got it for. Probably people were put off by the unoriginal resin. They probably don't realise that though the watch is expensive, spare resin for it is cheaper than for any other frog.

Strange about the misting of the crystal, can't say I have seen it on the Frogs of this era, though it is common on other 'G's from the 90s.

​Mitch

Last edited by Mitch100; December 31st, 2013 at 20:56.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Fantastic job kung, always a pleasure to see you work your magic on a worn piece :)

So all that legendary myth surrounding this frog may have been hot air? Interesting...

But what do you think of this frog compared to the 7th? I really liked your mod on the 7th frog to give it a real black look... I have to say I find the lcd display on the 7th one of the clearest and most easy to read, how does this one compare?

Sent from the 'droid.

wow that thing looks amazing, good work man

thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengyoku View Post
    Fantastic job kung, always a pleasure to see you work your magic on a worn piece :)

So all that legendary myth surrounding this frog may have been hot air? Interesting...

But what do you think of this frog compared to the 7th? I really liked your mod on the 7th frog to give it a real black look... I have to say I find the lcd display on the 7th one of the clearest and most easy to read, how does this one compare?

Sent from the 'droid.
    thanks, I think this display is just as legible as the 7th frog, but I would need to wear it a while to be sure.

This is definitely not a sapphire crystal. As for the invitation thing, I can only speculate but I would guess it is not true, or not completely true

Looks Excellent! Another great resto job.

Curious, did the new screws come with the new bezel or did you have to buy them separate?
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Looks Excellent! Another great resto job.

Curious, did the new screws come with the new bezel or did you have to buy them separate?
    the two big screws on top of the bezel come with it. But this is not true for all frog bezels.
    yankeexpress likes this.

Wow -- you did a fantastic job, as usual!

Nicely done!

Excelent resto job, looks fantastic!
    When was it ever a question of need?

Omega: Seamaster DeVille, Speedmaster 3523.80, Doxa: Sub 750T Pro GMT #387, Prometheus: S80 #75 of 150, Seiko: Alarm Chrono H249-5069, Chrono Diver 7T32-7E49, Black Monster SKX779K1, Orange Monster SKX781K1, Blue Sumo SBDC003, 5 Sports Blue Mini Monster, 5 Sports White Mini Monster, 5 Sports WSNK841, Type II 7559-601A, Casio: G-Shock DW-5000, PathFinder PRT-50, G-Shock DW-003, G-Shock GA100A-7A, G-Shock GD100HC-1, G-Shock G9000MS-1 Mudman, G-Shock G9000MX-2 Mudman, G-Shock G9000MX-4 Mudman, G-Shock GX56-1A King, G-Shock GW3000B-1A, G-Shock DW6900HM-2, G-ShocK DW6900-1V, SGW-100, G-Shock G5600CC-2DR, G-Shock GXW-56E-1JF King, G-Shock GF-8250ER-2 Frogman, G-Shock DW6930-4ER, G-Shock G-9100-2 Gulfman, G-Shock GX-56-1B King, Citizen: NaviHawk Blue Angels C300-Q00842, Largo Eco Drive BL5142-56P, Promaster 300m Pro Diver BJ8050-08E Ecozilla, Timex: Intelligent Quartz T 2N729, Fossil: Blue Titanium TI-5010, AM-4116, AM-2370, Arkitekt FS-4250...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information