Really so dumb alarm? (56xx - M5610)

Thread: Really so dumb alarm? (56xx - M5610)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Really so dumb alarm? (56xx - M5610)

Hi,
    I was interested in Casio G-Shock GW-M5610 model. In the official documentation , the alarm functionality is described such as is has 5 alarms. Cool.
    But only one of them has snooze functionality. Really? I thought that snooze is almost essential functionality of any alarm.

OK, never mind, so these 4 alarms are probably meant to be like meeting reminders, I thougt.
    Then I saw this info that these are daily alarms - day and/or month cannot be set. Why?
    Many much older Casio models can have alarm set on specific day and/or month also, but this model (family) not. Why?
    Just because the LCD date filed is occupied by AL1/AL2/... label instead?

If I'm not wrong and this is real, please Casio, if you want me to buy watches from this otherwise great family, please improve the alarm functionality.
    And you know what? There is also a day-of-week segment, why not use it for day-of-week specific alarm?
    Or even weekday/weekend alarm? (very useful, e.g. basic Timex digital has this already)

I look forward,
    regards, R.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: Really so dumb alarm? (56xx - M5610)

Hehe, you just discovered a fact that made us all to collectors:

Casio never bundle all the good things in one watch.

So there a special watches with superb alarms like the G-7700 or watches with atomic sync but short CDT and Stopwatch.

So what you have to do is what we all do:
    Buy a G for each feature you need. 8-)

I don't use the alarms myself (smarthpone) but it annoys me seeing a model with lots of features and noticing it only has daily alarms.
    Same goes for not having auto repeat on the countdown. Or only having a 60 min stopwatch.
    It's nice when a watch is feature packed but when half of them are done half assed I wonder if they do it just to look good on paper..

(This is why I keep coming back to the DW-5600, it doesn't have a lot of features but all of them are done right)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

d2mac: Collectable.. this strategy won't work for me, at most I'm gonna buy a nice minimalist model F-28W WITHOUT all these features instead, and wait :)

Quote Originally Posted by repulsive View Post
    d2mac: Collectable.. this strategy won't work for me, at most I'm gonna buy a nice minimalist model F-28W WITHOUT all these features instead, and wait :)
    Wait for what exactly? There are several G-shocks already WITH the alarm system you are looking for. If you want one which looks like the GWM-5610, I suggest the DW-5600. It is one of the cheapest G-shocks as well.
    It also has other (hidden) features most other G-shocks lack.

You know what is funny? Casio released the GD-350 a few months ago. It has a flash alarm and a vibration alarm. (I believe the only current production G-shock with a vibration alarm)
    It seems to be really geared towards alarms. The vibration alarm is even mentioned on the display very prominent. And on the product page text.
    GD350-8 - G-Shock, Vibration, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

But it still only has daily alarms

Name:  gd-350-8jf.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  43.8 KB
    stolen pic

Quote Originally Posted by captain kid View Post
    Wait for what exactly? There are several G-shocks already WITH the alarm system you are looking for. If you want one which looks like the GWM-5610, I suggest the DW-5600. It is one of the cheapest G-shocks as well.
    It also has other (hidden) features most other G-shocks lack.
    I was talking about GW-M5610 - among G-shocks I like only this origin lineup square design. This round thing looks overkill. I don't insist on G-shock, but I'd like to have solar charging + radio sync + usable alarms.

What about the hidden features? I hope you don't mean all LCD segments display or "CASIO" when some button combination is pressed :)

I was talking about GW-M5610 - among G-shocks I like only this origin lineup square design. This round thing looks overkill. I don't insist on G-shock, but I'd like to have solar charging + radio sync + usable alarms.

What about the hidden features? I hope you don't mean all LCD segments display or "CASIO" when some button combination is pressed :)
    The DW-5600 is also "origin lineup square design".

"Hidden" features:
    - After using a mode (stopwatch for example) next mode button press takes you back to the home screen.
    - Countdown with auto repeat function
    - time visible in stopwatch and countdown mode
    - countdown can be set to the second
    - Daily, weekly, monthly, specific date alarm (no snooze though)

No other G-shock has all these functions in the same watch. And a lot don't even have one of these features.

Now I'm confused. You say DW-5600 is one of the cheapest models.. I know/think from some reviews, that DW-5600 is rather old model, and rather expensive. What I am able to find in e-shops are new models without solar/radio: pretty black DW-5600BB, or DW-5600E..

btw, DW-5600 Daily, weekly, monthly, specific date alarm - isn't it only single alarm then?
    Last edited by repulsive; October 15th, 2013 at 12:49.

Now I'm confused. You say DW-5600 is one of the cheapest models.. I know/think from some reviews, that DW-5600 is rather old model, and rather expensive. What I am able to find in e-shops are new models without solar/radio: pretty black DW-5600BB, or DW-5600E..

btw, DW-5600 Daily, weekly, monthly, specific date alarm - isn't it only single alarm then?
    Yes, DW-5600 is one of the cheapest and oldest models and widely available ($45-60 for the DW-5600E) and does not have solar atomic.
    DW-5600BB, or DW-5600E are indeed some models of DW-5600. (they all have same functions)

The G-5600 and GWM-5600 (now discontinued) are with solar and solar with atomic.
    The G-5610 and GWM-5610 are the successors to these.

Is it only one single alarm yes. It is a very basic model, even my early 90's W-71 has more functions. It still is a very user friendly watch though and with "hidden" features you don't see in the modern G-shocks.

edit.
    I notice you live in the EU.
    For some reason I can not fathom the basic DW-5600E costs the same as newer models G-shocks in the EU. (roughly €100!!)
    Do NOT pay €100 for the DW-5600E.
    The other coloured DW-5600's like the BB you mentioned are a lot more expensive then the DW-5600E even outside the EU.(has the same functions)
    Last edited by captain kid; October 15th, 2013 at 13:24.

captain kid,

I agree with you about the DW5600E. I wear it on the weekends and it is my alarm because it wakes me.

Have a great day,
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information