Reason for only two rings on a zulu vs. 4

Thread: Reason for only two rings on a zulu vs. 4

Reason for only two rings on a zulu vs. 4?

It seems that 4 rings has practicality on a zulu, so why only two rings? They don't really secure the watch any more than the springbars do since there is no overlapping piece that just holds the watch like on a 4 ringer.

Is there a reason that they are worn with the buckle at 4 oclock, or is that just personal preference? It's a different configuration than most any other watch straps, so I figured there had to be a reason.
    Last edited by Alathea; August 24th, 2008 at 18:03.
    "...All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.....
    ----------------------------------

Re: Reason for only two rings on a zulu vs. 4

Hi

Two rings allows the buckle to be at the back of the wrist, and lets the watch sit a bit lower as there is only one layer of strap. Four rings is the normal NATO config and is a little more secure but the watch sits higher on the wrist and the buckle sits further to the back of the wrist. I'm just about to order a two ring for my Citizen Tough in grey with satin black pvd rings. Both types will keep the watch on the strap if a springbar gives way.

Regards

Matt

No real reason mate, i suspect it is so a manufacturer can say 'look at mine, it's better, it's got four!'

Buy the one you like best!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As Matt says (although my old eyes can only just read his small font...), 4 rings gives the greatest security, hence the adoption by NATO, amongst others.

Two-ring is neater for everyday use. The buckle can be placed under the wrist, and the watch isn't raised so high off the wrist.

The four-ring configuration looks a bit 'military wannabe' to me, so I use the two-ring straps.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    No real reason mate, i suspect it is so a manufacturer can say 'look at mine, it's better, it's got four!'
    I don't think so. To the best of my knowledge, the two-ring versions were later variants made by manufacturers of the original four-ring versions.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Ive found with my G and adapters that putting the buckle at the normal place under my wrist is more comfortable than riding it sideways-i guess im the weird one! I do like the strap though-ive had 4 ringers before, but not a two.
    "...All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.....
    ----------------------------------

[quote=tribe125;1251131]As Matt says (although my old eyes can only just read his small font...), 4 rings gives the greatest security, hence the adoption by NATO, amongst others.

OOps sorry must haved clicked some crazy font button

As Tribe agrees go for two ring I had four and the extra rings are a bit unnecessary.

Regards

Matt

There are 4-rings Maratac Zulu too, Alathea, with the same NATO design.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mattchrono View Post
    Hi

Two rings allows the buckle to be at the back of the wrist, and lets the watch sit a bit lower as there is only one layer of strap. Four rings is the normal NATO config and is a little more secure but the watch sits higher on the wrist and the buckle sits further to the back of the wrist. I'm just about to order a two ring for my Citizen Tough in grey with satin black pvd rings. Both types will keep the watch on the strap if a springbar gives way.

Regards

Matt
    That's what I have my T-SAR on, I really dig the color. Just so you know, the zulus with the LowLite hardware come about an inch longer than the zulus with the ss hardware.

Thread Information