Recent arrival, an 'Old school' Giez.
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Recent arrival, an 'Old school' Giez.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Recent arrival, an 'Old school' Giez.

Here is another recent pickup. The seller description was that he had used it for a year and that everything worked and it had no damage.

I got watch at its opening price because the only picture was blurred and you could make nothing out other than it was a blue dialled model.

When I received it it was dead and was gross, I don’t think it had ever been cleaned and looked like it had things growing on it! Made you wonder whether the seller was being entirely truthful. Still you take the risk when you buy on a poor photo.

It is the Giez GS-1000J-2AJF from 2006. I have always thought this blue dialled model Giez was the most attractive of the GS-1000J models.

Still a good clean up later showed that the watch actually was in very good condition, clear crystal, no scratches and the watch came back to life nicely after a day in the sun.

There is no light, just the normal lume of an analogue watch.

The Giez were a bit more upmarket, pricier G Shock, with their solid SS cases and screwbacks. Casio still actually produce a current model Giez though you do not see it often, the GS-1400, which is very similar to this model but with an upgraded module.

These GS-1000’s have an unusual method of moving between modes, the buttons take you to each mode direct. The setting and adjustments are not intuitive however and Casio soon dropped this idea, reverting to having a single mode button for moving through the various modes. It is solar and atomic (USA and Japan only), has a stopwatch, world time and alarm, with a 24hr dial.

It also has something that is almost unique on G Shocks (though not in a good way), it does not even have an annual calendar! If it does not get a signal you have to sort out the days of the month manually. Only if it gets a signal can you be sure the date is correct. Pretty poor really. Also you could never guess which buttons to press to adjust the time and date manually without the manual.

Not Casio’s best moment when designing a module then!

Good job then that I find the watch attractive. Here are some wrist shots.

So what do you think and are there any more of these ‘old school’ Giez out there?

Mitch

Re: Recent arrival, an 'Old school' Giez.

very good looking Giez
    the shinny bezel, however, makes me thinking of resin rot ...

Nice clean-up Mitch, the blue dial and second hand make it for me.

Though I just can't see how someone can put something up for sale that is sooo filthy dirty...
    Dxnnis likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great pick up! I have the GS-1100 and once you get the hang of the function settings it’s a great piece. Nice job getting it cleaned up.

Dxnnis likes this.

Love that shade of BLUE. SICK piece, wear it in good HEALTH!!! ;)
    Last edited by JustAbe; July 25th, 2019 at 17:21.
    Dxnnis likes this.

I saw that on ebay, you got a really nice piece at a great price. I have the GS1100 and think any serious Casio collector should have at least 1 in their stable. Not a perfect watch (what is?) but superb build, look, strap (like a GW5000), perfect size for me etc. That blue is REALLY blue, definitely eye catching. I'll wear mine tomorrow now for sure.
    Dxnnis likes this.

Nice pick-up, Mitch! The blue dial really pops on that one.

A few months back, I picked up an older GS-300-8A (1999 release) from a seller in Japan. Not atomic or solar, but a JDM titanium screwback for dirt cheap was too good to pass up.

Name:  IMAG2648.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  1.14 MB

Name:  IMAG2633.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  1.28 MB
    "When the shadow of the sash appeared in the curtains it was between seven and eight o'clock and then I was in time again, hearing the watch. It was Grandfather's and when Father gave it to me he said I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire.... I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it."
    --William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury (1929)

Really nice looking dial on that one but the plastic 'protection' design ruins it for me

Nice catch and good job on the cleanup!

I have a 'golden' GS-1100 with a very dark brown dial. Awesome color combo, I think.
    Just love the design of these watches.
    However there is one thing that really bothers me... the fact that the second hand isn't actually a second hand!
    I would have loved seeing that pretty red hand moving every second, like every normal second hand. But no, it's just sitting there... doing nothing!

Name:  IMG_20180407_184245704.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  384.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kosio View Post
    Nice catch and good job on the cleanup!

I have a 'golden' GS-1100 with a very dark brown dial. Awesome color combo, I think.
    Just love the design of these watches.
    However there is one thing that really bothers me... the fact that the second hand isn't actually a second hand!
    I would have loved seeing that pretty red hand moving every second, like every normal second hand. But no, it's just sitting there... doing nothing!

]
    I also prefer a proper central second hand. On the GS-1000 you can always start the chronograph at the start of a minute and then you get the time with a constantly running second hand. I don't know if you can do this with the GS-1100, as you have to switch out of timekeeping to get to chronograph mode.

Mitch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information