Recommendation for a G-Shock : Hunter
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Recommendation for a G-Shock : Hunter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommendation for a G-Shock : Hunter

What model G-Shock would you advise getting for someone whose primary outdoor activity is hunting?

A compass would be a big plus, as would a barometer, but primarily a compass. Digital or analogue, makes no difference to me, either is fine.

I was thinking about a Mudman, but not sure. This model looks like it may have everything I need.

G9300-1

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G9300-1-...6X82HE5RF34QN1
    Last edited by Alden; July 28th, 2015 at 12:46.
    FJay Iceberg White likes this.

9300 mudman or 9400 rangeman. Whichever one you like the looks of the best. The rangeman does have the most features of the two
    FJay Iceberg White likes this.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: Recommendation for a G-Shock : Hunter

The GA-1000 is the ana-digi alternative with compass but without barometer. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi mate, i'd go the olive green rangeman for sure, its numbers in my signature, as long as you dont mind a neg display, if not maybe the newer green one with a camo band or a plain black one, either that or look into the protrek line, cheers

Rangeman if you want a Gshock, however I tend to go with a protrek when I go out because it fits under my sleeves and such much easier.

The 270 is an excellent module and can be found on Amazon for a great price right now - $101....

Sent from my i using Tapatalk
    alexs12 and Chrisek like this.

Quote Originally Posted by brvheart
    No I am not OCD....I am CDO - that is OCD in the proper order

My .02 cents:

My guess is if you are going hunting you will already know what the weather is going to be like for that day. If it were me. I would skip the more expensive G-Shock line and go for an SGW-100 either on resin straps (100-1V) or fabric straps(100-3B). The 100-3B model has some slight green to the case and a green fabric band. Tough as nails this watch is, and is has a nice big outer ring compass and a thermometer. The digits are also bigger, therefore more legible than a G-Shock. Another plus is the positive lcd that has back lit digits so it will not affect your night vision if getting ready before dawn or if you are out past dusk.

SGW100-1V - Sports, Mens, Womens, Ladies, Digital, Analog Wrist, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

Here is the manual.
    http://support.casio.com/storage/en/...009/qw3157.pdf

eBay prices in the States
    casio sgw-100 in Wristwatches | eBay

Amazon prices
    http://www.amazon.com/Casio-SGW100-1V-Resin-Compass-Watch/dp/B00186YU4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438089913&sr=8-1&keywords=casio+sgw-100

Last edited by Rocat; July 28th, 2015 at 15:28.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by brvheart View Post
    Rangeman if you want a Gshock, however I tend to go with a protrek when I go out because it fits under my sleeves and such much easier.

The 270 is an excellent module and can be found on Amazon for a great price right now - $101....

Sent from my i using Tapatalk
    True there is always the protrek line...

Also the sunrise/sunset feature would probably come in handy. It is on the rangeman and some of the protreks
    brvheart likes this.

depends on where the hunt is. Hunting heads on the desert ? Hunting bears on the white north ? Hunting deers in the forest ? hunting sharks under the seas ?

yes, there is a g made for each location

This question gets asked from time to time. The Rangeman is one of the most feature-packed g-shocks you will find, and in addition to the "ABC" functions it has special features like a one-touch, 1,000 hour stopwatch, plus the ability to store up to 40 'time-stamp' records or records from the ABC functions. Plus sunrise/sunset. And solar and atomic. It depends what kind of hunting you do, to some extent. And where... but if you are in mountainous terrain and spend all day out in the wild, a barometer might be very valuable to you as well. Weather conditions can change fast, esp. in the mountains, and a baro graph could be very useful.

I used to be a very avid hunter. (before I got into g-shocks) The Rangeman would probably be my first choice. About the only reason it wouldn't be is if there is a concern about the profile (height) of the watch and its ability to fit under sleeves. If so then the Ranger may or may not work. If it doesn't, you might want to look at the Protreks. There is a whole line of Protrek watches that would meet your needs.

Then again, if you like the G-9300 Mudman, that might work too. But, you can spend about the same price or a little more and get a Protrek or a Rangeman that has many more features than the Mudman.

Lots of great ideas guys. Thanks for all these.

I have about a half dozen saved on my Amazon Wish List to consider now.

There is no clear leader. This will take some time to percolate and digest before any trigger is pulled.

As far as what kind of hunting, I live in central Florida. We have vast wilderness areas in the dead center of the state between Orlando and Tampa collectively called the Green Swamp. It is filled with wild hogs, deer, and turkeys. The hunting is mostly in the brush, and sometimes in the swamp. Long clear shots across fields of corn or soybeans doesn't happen here; it's usually sudden and up close and personal.

The guns of choice are the lever action rifles, shotguns, and bolt action rifles, pretty much in that order. The first two are good for short range brush hunting; the bolt rifle can do both short and long, if you know how to use it.
    Last edited by Alden; July 29th, 2015 at 03:38.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information