Recommendation for a replacement
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By G-fob
  • 1 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By aalin13

Thread: Recommendation for a replacement

Recommendation for a replacement

Hi,

Recently my workhorse which was the G9010 mudman finally kicked the bucket (due to my part of opening the caseback and not tightening it which resulted in water getting into the unit).

I would like to ask you guys opinion on a suitable replacement, due to profession in the marine industry, i need a watch which is similar to the old G9010 mudman.

I was thinking of the new mudman G9300 but it was a tad too big for mt wrist.

The new watch has to tough solar and the buttons need to be encased unlike some models which have the recessed metal buttons since i am worried and oil and mud may seep into it.

I was interested in the gulfman G9100 but it doesnt seem to have tough solar.

As always, you guys input is welcomed.

Btw, my budget is around $100++.

Re: Recommendation for a replacement

encased buttons are: king and 5500

g-9110 is solar

buy another 9010 then
    LankyOrangutan likes this.

I would go for the GW-9110 Gulfman or the GW-9200 Riseman. They are smaller than the GW-9300, if not by a lot. The GW-5510 may also be an option, as mentioned already. Its buttons are of the type you ask for and its size and comfort are just right too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My opinion would be to buy the regular G-9000 or buy a G-7900 non atomic version. Both these are under $100
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Enclosed buttons aren't all that common, so I (foolishly) started to suggest the GW-9000 since it's solar + atomic, it's an older "Multiband 5" model, and I got mine a couple of years ago for about $100. Since it's the older version, surely the price has gone down even more, right?

Wrong -- it looks like that model is the most recent victim of the "it's discontinued, so it must be rare and valuable!!" mentality on Amazon and eBay. People are asking $595 on Amazon and $450-$600 on eBay for new ones. There's a used one in "great condition" for $175, except it's NOT in great condition at all. (Okay, maybe the module and glass are in good shape, but the bezel is scuffed, shiny, and missing paint.)

On the other hand, the GW-9010 is on Amazon for $99 with free shipping. Even though it's "solar/atomic" the atomic feature can easily be turned off.
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

Thx guys for the suggestions. But i dont plan to get the G9010 again since the buttons are really hard to press.

I guess i'll bite the bullet and get the G9300 eventhough its larger than what i would have preferred. Was thinking about the GW9400 but i dont really need the additional ABC functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by eugenelim View Post
    Thx guys for the suggestions. But i dont plan to get the G9010 again since the buttons are really hard to press.

I guess i'll bite the bullet and get the G9300 eventhough its larger than what i would have preferred. Was thinking about the GW9400 but i dont really need the additional ABC functionality.
    Try it on in person and preferably for awhile, it is a large watch but it is very comfortable to wear as the lugs are shaped for a close fit
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eugenelim View Post

the 9000 muddie used to be one of my faves but now the 9300 is one of my faves. its only slightly taller, thats about it. it wears very comfortably imo and it has a compass for when you go off course after too many shandies :p

side note: for the 9000 buttons if you ever get another, try taking the buttons off and boiling them (and the band for about 5min) instantly softer
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Thread Information