Rekindling your interest? And a Mudman story.
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Rekindling your interest? And a Mudman story.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone else let a watch sit in a drawer, maybe put it up for sale, and generally forget about it? Do you ever find that spark again?

Mine would be my G9000. It was my first G-Shock and it was a completely acceptable watch but my interest with it waned over the years. It was used extensively as a field watch when camping and when in industrial settings. It was also my travel watch, having easily adjustable World Time.

Here it is on the first day of ownership in 2013 (posted here to f17):

I still remember rushing up to my friend and colleague that got me into G-Shocks. He had a GA-100 at the time and has since added two more GAs, an 8900, a Gulfmaster, and recently a GD-400 to his collection. I was so excited to tear apart the Amazon box and open my first G-Shock tin.

And later that year, while on a site assignment:

For whatever reason, I decided to put it up for sale. I found it comfortable but I was never completely sold on the shape. I got heavily into squares, and eventually picked up some increasingly larger G-Shocks (6600 > GD-350 > GX-56 > DW-8200) so it fell to the side and was rarely worn. I packed it up in May or June of last year, posted a sale thread, and forgot about the boxed up Mudman sitting in the back of a drawer.

Well, it didn't sell, I may have subconsciously been asking for too much for a basic Mudman in an attempt to not let it go. The G(W)-9000s are getting harder to find but mine is easily the most accessible and affordable model.

Fast forward to last week. After a year of watch purging, all my large format Gs are gone. I was sitting around with my DW-6600 and was browsing eBay for watches and realized that I still had my Muddie!

After digging it out I immediately got my interest back. The STW was still running from when I packaged it up, based on the time it spent in a box I am assuming it is on its 6th or 7th run around 1000 hours.

It fits great! I have lost my bias towards larger watches and am really appreciating smaller G-Shocks again (I once passed up a GW-2310 on clearance at a department store because I was wearing my King and it seemed puny in comparison). They fit my wrist better and are generally easier to manage.

I have been thinking about adding another 9000 series but I think I probably got the best module out of the bunch. The 9010 would be nice but it loses some functionality. I would probably buy a GW-9000A if I could get one at a decent price, my first ever G-Shock decision was picking the G over the GW, so it may always be the one that got away...
    Last edited by idkfa; March 16th, 2016 at 00:35.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Re: Rekindling your interest? And a Mudman story.

It's a great watch. I just wish the buttons weren't so hard to press. The ones on my MIB Mudman are REALLY hard... don't know if it was something to do with the blackout bezel. In any case, the watch itself has excellent aesthetics. Congrats on rekindling your joy of owning a Mudman.

Btw, the "big watch" trend never really caught on with me. I have a couple of really large watches, but seldom wear them. I quite enjoy the smaller ones now, because they're so comfortable to wear (like the TW-7000).
    Last edited by xevious; March 15th, 2016 at 20:09.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    It's a great watch. I just wish the buttons weren't so hard to press. The ones on my MIB Mudman are REALLY hard... don't know if it was something to do with the blackout bezel. In any case, the watch itself has excellent aesthetics. Congrats on rekindling your joy of owning a Mudman.

Btw, the "big watch" trend never really caught on with me. I have a couple of really large watches, but seldom wear them. I quite enjoy the smaller ones now, because they're so comfortable to wear (like the TW-7000).
    Mine has been okay, though it has been used a lot and I think I boiled the bezel at some point. Even so, it definitely requires a spirited push with the finger biceps.

I think I accepted larger watches because I really liked the King and Frogman in theory. They are extremely well built watches with an aesthetic I quite like. I could just barely pull them off but the strap geometry and required tightness made them too uncomfortable to be keepers.

I really like the TW-7000, I think I have seen you post pictures in the other sub-forums. I wish Casio would release something similar again.
    xevious likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It has happened to me, with my squares.
    idkfa likes this.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

I think this model went the furthest in refining the tool watch aspects of the original G-Shock. It is really rugged, functional, well thought out in all detail aspects, inexpensive, and unpretentious. In that regard the pictures do not really do it justice, as it appears so big, and thus bulky. Which it is not.
    idkfa and Izzy_Does_It like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sdog View Post
    I think this model went the furthest in refining the tool watch aspects of the original G-Shock. It is really rugged, functional, well thought out in all detail aspects, inexpensive, and unpretentious. In that regard the pictures do not really do it justice, as it appears so big, and thus bulky. Which it is not.
    I can't claim to have extensive experience with all G-Shocks (though that claim can be made by many others here) but I have had a decent number of them. I have to agree, the 9000 series Mudman is an incredible example of what G-Shocks should be aiming for. I don't think it will ever achieve icon status like some other favourites, mostly because of a few nagging issues (namely the button press and some people finding the nubs painful on the wrist), but I think in years to come, as the supply dwindles, they will be missed.
    sdog likes this.

Your thread made me realise that I haven't been giving enough time to my Mudman lately... Will start wearing it again...

I think in years to come, as the supply dwindles, they will be missed.

Undortunately, that is already today. Anything but 1ER versions are hard to find. The nicest in my eyes, the 8V, is exceedingly rare. I've checked a few times over the last year and have seen second-hand offers in the range of EUR 200, thats nearly CAD 300, which is way over my budget. [In Canada nice Gs are practically unobtainable anyway, US sellers hardly deliver anywhere but CONUS, and if, don't send with USPS+Royal Mail Canada. One has to be lucky with Kijiji.]

(ninja edit: ps.:
    I think I've seen your Mudman add, idkfa. Since it was sold in .ca I've checked from time-to-time waiting for the price to drop far enough.
    Last edited by sdog; March 16th, 2016 at 00:44.
    idkfa likes this.

Nice write up. It's always fun to find enjoyment in something again.

I used to have a GW9000A. The whole time I had it, I wished I got another module. The layout of the 9000 display is silly with how prominent and how much room is given to the sync indicators. And the indicators aren't solid - they are stripped and hard to see. I just grew tired of the layout.
    sdog and idkfa like this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post
    Nice write up. It's always fun to find enjoyment in something again.

I used to have a GW9000A. The whole time I had it, I wished I got another module. The layout of the 9000 display is silly with how prominent and how much room is given to the sync indicators. And the indicators aren't solid - they are stripped and hard to see. I just grew tired of the layout.
    I can see that being a problem. One of the reasons I decided against the GW was those indicators (and the reportedly lower beep volume). I never thought of those lines. Well, I guess any desire to start the hunt has faded. Thanks!

I think Casio was trying to showcase atomic technology at the time, you can see it on the 'revolver' GW-9100 and even the GW-5600J has indicators for reception signal level, which are largely irrelevant to timekeeping. The focus has since moved away from this, with the reception quietly working behind the curtains.
    sdog likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information